Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Full-frame overlays (transparency... but not really)

Last post 12-21-2018, 13:54 by saby. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-18-2018, 22:12 776358

Full-frame overlays (transparency... but not really)

To all,

I have created a nifty title effect for my movie using Adobe After Effects which I wish to use at the start of my Pinnacle movie.  The title effect has a black background and white text which is simple but stunning with the features in After Effects.  I exported the title from After Effects to an .avi file and imported it to my Pinnacle 22 timeline.  My question is, "how do I 'ADD' the pixel values of this title track to my video track running behind it? The transparency tool is close, however, the background video track is dimmed by the transparency effect.  I wish the track behind (below on my timeline) to be full brightness and my title characters to display over.  Basically I want both tracks to add pixel values so that where the title track is black, the video behind is fully seen and bright.  Chromakey doesn't work since as the characters fade in and out from the After Effects track, the key loses the title characters in an uneven way and the character borders are not smooth enough.  For those users who import title animation and kinetic text, I figure this must be a simple solution I just haven't found yet in Pinnacle.

Thanks much, 

Greg 

•  12-19-2018, 1:19 776362 in reply to 776358

Re:Full-frame overlays (transparency... but not really)

Hi Greg,

If you mean to have the black background completely transparent, then you can use the lumakeyer.

•  12-19-2018, 20:33 776451 in reply to 776362

Re: Re:Full-frame overlays (transparency... but not really)

Saby, thank you for the response.  Unfortunately, the Lumakey idea doesn't do the trick since the title fades from white to black therefore going from a luminescence I wish to show up through to black which I wish to suppress.  As the characters fade (they actually do much more than just fade), the lumakeyer changes their appearance and boundaries.  Is there not a true 'add a channel' to another in Pinnacle that allows both to show?

Greg 

•  12-19-2018, 22:12 776452 in reply to 776451

Try exporting from AE as an mov file with transparency, (RGB+A). Studio should be able to recognize the alpha channel.

Joe

P.S. If that doesn't work, google for a free AE plugin called Unmult. Apply that to your effect and it will make the black background transparent.

•  12-20-2018, 1:06 776460 in reply to 776451

gwatchma:

Is there not a true 'add a channel' to another in Pinnacle that allows both to show?

Nothing like that in Studio.

•  12-20-2018, 16:41 776490 in reply to 776460

The Luma-keyer in Studio may well be able to do what you want, but you have to use a bit of "negative logic"...

• Adjust the "Luma Center" and "Radius" controls such that only the black background part of the imported title video is opaque (if the black is very pure without too many compression artefacts that lift it above RGB 0/0/0 try "Luma Center" and "Radius" values of 5 or 10 (depending upon how "impure" the black actually is)
    • Then tick the box for "Invert Key". Now the black will be transparent and everything else will be opaque

HTH
    Richard

•  12-21-2018, 11:04 776543 in reply to 776490

If all else fails In PSU22  as an alterative to Luma-keyer try Effects/Color/Shift Channels/change Alpha to Blue.
  •  12-21-2018, 13:54 776563 in reply to 776543

But, as far as I understand, there is no alpha chanel in his video.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy