Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Audio Loss in saved file towards end of capture?

Last post 08-26-2018, 13:22 by johnoverall. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-25-2018, 14:37 769801

Audio Loss in saved file towards end of capture?

Pinnacle Studio SE on Windows XP SP3 

I'm converting old MiniDV tapes to .avi files and all has been going swimmingly for the vast majority of captures but I have five tapes (out of twenty) where the captured file drops the sound towards the very end of the video, usually around three quarters of the way through or towards the very end. I'm not sure why this is but it's incredibly irritating. The sound is fine when the tape is played via the camera. I've repeated the process on the same tapes a few times and the sound drop is always in a different spot. 

The PC has plenty of disk space. The PC is old but stable and I have also used it to successfully capture other footage off old family VHS tapes in the past week as well as other MiniDV tapes using the same camera.

Is there a way I can plug the old Sony MiniDV camcorder into my new laptop and it will be recognized?

I am almost done with the conversion and was looking forward to packing the old camcorder away and unplugging my trusty old PC I've been using for the job. I'd really rather not have to buy something new to capture the footage from five tapes that I will revisit rarely.

Thanks in advance for any responses. 

•  08-25-2018, 17:30 769805 in reply to 769801

Re: Audio Loss in saved file towards end of capture?

What are you using to make the capture?  A firewire port or a capture device?  What happens if you start a new capture at the point on the tape where the audio drops out?

And welcome to the forum.  Smile

•  08-25-2018, 23:05 769824 in reply to 769801

There should be no problems when capturing your MiniDV tapes to your computer if you are using a firewire as previously mentioned.

Do not use your computer to do other things when capturing videos (using internet, etc.). 

•  08-26-2018, 13:10 769851 in reply to 769805

gjslaw:

What are you using to make the capture?  A firewire port or a capture device?  What happens if you start a new capture at the point on the tape where the audio drops out?

And welcome to the forum.  Smile

Thank you for the welcome. I am using a firewire port.

Problem is now resolved. I appreciate your reply. 

•  08-26-2018, 13:13 769852 in reply to 769824

R_Vera:

There should be no problems when capturing your MiniDV tapes to your computer if you are using a firewire as previously mentioned.

Do not use your computer to do other things when capturing videos (using internet, etc.). 

Thanks for your reply. I actually killed off all unnecessary processes and programs and left the PC to do its thing. So at no point did I do anything that might have interrupted the capture. There was nothing to indicate issues in the logs in Event Viewer either.

This problem is now resolved, I appreciate your response. 

•  08-26-2018, 13:22 769853 in reply to 769801

Okay. So after I posted I did a little digging online and found some fundamental things I should have looked at once the captures started losing sound.

The HDD I'm using in the PC is quite small by modern standards so I was moving files around, moving to external media and deleting stuff to make space. I found an old help file that pretty much said the first thing I should do in the event of audio loss is some basic housekeeping. After giving the old PC some TLC; uninstalling any old programs, disk clean up, scandisk, defrag, WIndows integrity check, chkdsk etc. I tried the capture again and it worked perfectly. 

Feel a little foolish for posting now but if anyone has similar issues, with old kit in particular, start with the raw basics as mentioned above.

ALSO:Sort of related, when I was capturing from VHS using a separate TV card, again no audio was present. Dig into the settings and see if the output source is muted. As it was, this wasn't even displayed until I made it visible in the settings and then un-muted it. Definitely worth a look if you have issues.

Thanks to anyone who looked in on or replied to this post.  

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy