Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

Last post 06-26-2018, 21:03 by margaret45. 15 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-25-2018, 20:59 766762

Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

Could someone explain something to me about Dazzle related to PS20 Ultimate?  I haven't made a video for awhile, but I keep notes on processes for next time I use a feature.  I wanted to copy a friend's VHS tape and put on a DVD.  I bought Dazzle almost 2 years ago, and found my notes telling me to carry my VCR into the computer room, hook the Dazzle RCA into the VCR and USB into my computer.  I did so, and the Import screen would not come up.  I searched online for help regarding a message which I thought said it wasn't working because I had updated my system since I last used Dazzle.  I thought it was referring to my upgrade to Windows 10.  

So I uninstalled Dazzle and tried to re-install it from the disc, which didn't work.  Then I noticed on the disc that it's for Windows 8 and earlier, even thought it's less than 2 years old.  So - no Dazzle.  I contacted support, got Chat only in Spanish and no one responded.  Spent many hours over 2 days, getting apparent misinformation from phone help.  They thought I wanted to update PS20, which is working fine.  They sent me a link for Roxio CD DVD Creator.  It's like no one understood that I hoped they could help me get Dazzle back and updated.

Somewhere in here I had opened PS20 and tried to import, but it wouldn't recognize the USB port or drive where Dazzle was connected.  Another dead end.

This aft. a technician took control of my computer and did some magic.  He said I just needed to update - ?? something.  Either Dazzle or PS20.  Sounded like Dazzle was still on my computer, even after I uninstalled it.   He updated something - PS20 or Dazzle - I have no idea, but he left me with PS20 open.  I haven't tried it out yet, but assume it will work.

So I wonder if I was mistaken in some ways, if the help they were offering was what I needed, but I couldn't see it.  I wind up in these technical whirlwinds from time to time, and often have no idea what happened.  If someone can explain it simply, I would appreciate it.  If this is on the wrong forum, please put it where it belongs.

Thanks, 

•  06-25-2018, 21:16 766765 in reply to 766762

Re:Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

Sorry Margaret, but your story is unclear to me.

You say "I haven't tried it out yet". That would be a good thing to confirm whether it's working or not.

•  06-26-2018, 0:51 766772 in reply to 766765

Re: Re:Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

This time the Import screen opens normally.  The VCR is plugged into the wall and RCA cords attached to Out ports on VCR and Dazzle device.  Dazzle lights up when USB is plugged into the computer, but no connecting sound at the computer.  I tried something else in the USB port on computer and it made a connecting sound.  I tried a different set of RCA plugs.  Still not recognizing the device.  I tried playing and Importing a DVD.  There is a tab for DVDs, but PS didn't recognize it, either. 

So now that the Import window opens, the present problem must be in my VCR.  I don't know what else to try.  Maybe it's too old, although not super-old.

My earlier confusion was that I was thinking of Dazzle as a program, separate from PS20, instead of a connecting device.  I get that part now. 

•  06-26-2018, 1:15 766773 in reply to 766762

Re: Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

Hello margaret45,

What version is your dazzle?

Try using this program to see if it will work:  http://windv.mourek.cz/

•  06-26-2018, 1:39 766775 in reply to 766773

Dazzle version 1.0.2.210 loaded by tech support today.   VCR is Panasonic DMR-EZ48V bought in 2011.  This worked last time I used it with Dazzle a few months ago.

I looked briefly at the program - looks like it's used with a camera if I understand correctly.  I used to do this with my prosumer camcorder - outputting from VCR to camcorder.  It wasn't HD.  Then someone told me about Dazzle - more direct, better quality.  Are you suggesting going from VCR to camcorder, and then to computer for editing?

•  06-26-2018, 1:53 766776 in reply to 766775

It will work either way. With the camera or with a VCR.
  •  06-26-2018, 2:02 766777 in reply to 766762

You might also need to install the dazzle driver: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm
  •  06-26-2018, 5:10 766783 in reply to 766772

Re: Re:Dazzle related to PS20Ultimate

margaret45:
    My earlier confusion was that I was thinking of Dazzle as a program, separate from PS20, instead of a connecting device.  I get that part now. 

You were not totally wrong.

When you buy the Dazzle device, it is bundled with a program called Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle. This a feature-limited version of Pinnacle Studio 16.

No need to actually install it if you want to use the Dazzle device as long as you install the driver which is present on the installation disc and which is always installed when you install PS20.

•  06-26-2018, 15:52 766808 in reply to 766777

Attachment: Dazzle driver.jpg

R_Vera:
    You might also need to install the dazzle driver: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm

Which driver is it? 

•  06-26-2018, 16:01 766809 in reply to 766808

Attachment: Dazzle.jpg

Saby, I've been looking for drivers on my computer.  It says the Dazzle Video Capture USB Studio Device driver is already installed.  Do I need to re-install PS20 to get an updated driver?  I don't see any place on my PS20 regarding drivers.  Here is the screen when I'm ready to import, Dazzle has its light on, but no connecting sound.  Time to give up on transferring my friend's VHS tape?  Or am I missing something very simple?  It looks like my computer is not - or cannot - recognize the VCR.

•  06-26-2018, 18:15 766815 in reply to 766809

I'm sure your driver is OK.

Try to use this tool with the Dazzle : http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm

•  06-26-2018, 18:34 766817 in reply to 766815

Thanks, will check it out later.  Right now I'm capturing VHS tape into my Sony DSR-PD170.  It's a long tape with lots of swimming laps - memories of her children's younger years.  If it's decent quality, I'll probably keep it.  But am curious about the program with your link.  Just wondering why the VCR/Dazzle transfer worked last time I used it (months ago), and why not now.
  •  06-26-2018, 19:16 766822 in reply to 766817

margaret45:
    Just wondering why the VCR/Dazzle transfer worked last time I used it (months ago), and why not now.

Why am I sick this morning while I was well yesterday ?   Wink

•  06-26-2018, 19:36 766824 in reply to 766822

saby:

margaret45:
    Just wondering why the VCR/Dazzle transfer worked last time I used it (months ago), and why not now.

Why am I sick this morning while I was well yesterday ?   Wink

You're the one with all the answers ;-)  My transfer to Sony 170 failed because of user error - Am trying to do 2 things at once and wasn't paying attention.  Actually, am transferring our 5 boxes of slides - have digitized them, now putting them in order on the computer.  Then will make a video, and also will give as jpgs so our kids can do what they want with them, or just watch a video of them on their TVs.  We will throw out slides and metal boxes when all is done properly.

Will check out your other suggestion.  Complaint here - I have to unplug and carry the VCR to the computer room to do Dazzle transfer to computer.  Can't watch TV without the VCR.  So it's slow going.  Just sayin' it's complicated.    

•  06-26-2018, 19:43 766827 in reply to 766824

margaret45:
    Can't watch TV without the VCR.

We are off-topic, but I can say there must be an easy way by connecting antenna cable to the TV to watch TV without the VCR.

•  06-26-2018, 21:03 766836 in reply to 766827

You're right.  I thought we had to switch a bunch of plugs, but I see we don't.  That must have been with an earlier system.    
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy