Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 15 - BRD Menu First Button Goes to Beginning of Disc

Last post 02-18-2021, 7:56 by gedall40. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-06-2017, 0:07 751883

Studio 15 - BRD Menu First Button Goes to Beginning of Disc

I have created several DVDs using Studio 15 over several years, and recently have begun to create BRDs.  I am encountering a problem with menu buttons.  Specifically, the first button on my menu does not jump to where the C1 mark is.  Instead, it jumps to the beginning of the video.  I do not recall having this issue when burning DVDs.

I have created the project so that when you insert the BRD into the player, it begins immediately and plays some video - an intro, so to speak.  Then, the menu pops up and you can choose which chapter to watch.  I have three buttons.  The second and third buttons work great.  But, the first button jumps back to the beginning of the video - to the beginning of the intro that plays when you insert the BRD, not to the C1 mark.  So, I have no way to watch the first chapter.

I have tried removing all the chapter markers and re-setting them, but that did not help.  Before I blindly try other ideas, I thought I would ask this group if anyone else has encountered this problem and has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

•  11-06-2017, 6:51 751887 in reply to 751883

Re: Studio 15 - BRD Menu First Button Goes to Beginning of Disc

Does your computer has a BR Burner.

Are you using BR disks.

Do you render your movie before making the disk.

Have you cleared all your auxillary files.

What OS are you using. 

•  11-06-2017, 7:28 751890 in reply to 751883

Re:Studio 15 - BRD Menu First Button Goes to Beginning of Disc

MWDunaway:

I have created the project so that when you insert the BRD into the player, it begins immediately and plays some video - an intro, so to speak.  Then, the menu pops up and you can choose which chapter to watch. 

IIRC, not possible with PS15. Are you sure to be talking about PS15 ?

•  11-06-2017, 12:11 751904 in reply to 751890

Re: Re:Studio 15 - BRD Menu First Button Goes to Beginning of Disc

Attachment: PS14U BD export.jpg

saby:
    IIRC, not possible with PS15. Are you sure to be talking about PS15 ?
    I'm fairly sure that PS15 (Ultimate at least) should be able to create Blu-ray discs; PS14 Ultimate can... But I don't know what limitations regarding menus it might have. I'll try a test with PS14 (making a BD image from a project (having an intro video) that I've previously burned to DVD). However I can't burn it to a disc; only play the disc image using VLC.

Regards,
    Richard

•  11-06-2017, 12:47 751905 in reply to 751904

I was talking about the possibility to create an Intro before the1st menu is displayed.
  •  11-06-2017, 13:45 751909 in reply to 751905

I have created BRDs with an intro before, and it has worked fine most of the time.  I had this issue happen once before, but I did not catch the problem until I was watching the BRD with friends.  I happened to have created a DVD of the same project, so we just watched the DVD when the BRD did not work correctly.  In other words, I did not go back and fix the issue with the BRD. 

I am going to try a workaround by adding an Intro button and having it go to the beginning of the video.  That way, the "second" button can go to the correct "first" chapter.  I'll see if that works.

•  11-06-2017, 13:59 751910 in reply to 751905

saby:
    I was talking about the possibility to create an Intro before the1st menu is displayed.
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

For information - my test using Studio 14 Ultimate has completed (rendering was very slow because in Studio 14 there's no support for H.264 hardware acceleration). But, although there are .m2ts files existing in the image's STREAM folder for the main and sub-menus, the intro video and the main video, the image doesn't play properly in VLC or in MPC-HC (only the "main movie" part plays, the intro video and the two menus are inaccessible in the navigation). But I'm not worried as I don't recall whether working BD menus were ever possible in Studio 14 (and if I did want to create a BD image or disc I would use Studio 21, not 14).

Regards,
    Richard

•  11-06-2017, 15:02 751913 in reply to 751910

Richard - Not sure if you know this but VLC doesn't play intro video by default:

"if you use VLC to test your DVDs, then in order to see intro videos you need to open the VLC Advanced Preferences Input/ Codecs/Access Modules/DVD with Menu and untick the Start directly in Menu checkbox."

....and there is a No Disc menus checkbox as well when you open a disc.

•  11-06-2017, 19:04 751950 in reply to 751913

An update, and a work-around.  I created an "extra" button called Intro on my menu and made it the "first button" - farthest left, and highest on the menu.  I set the marker for the Intro button to the beginning of the video.  The Intro button did indeed jump to the beginning of the video.  But, so did the second button on my menu.  So, it seemed that It was not that the "first button" jumps to the beginning of the menu.  It appears that the "first button that points to a chapter AFTER the menu" also jumps to the beginning of the video.  In short, this workaround did not work as I needed it to work.

So, I tried another workaround.  I again created the "extra" button called Intro and made it the "first button" on my menu.  I then created a "dummy" chapter consisting of a single title right after the menu - before my actual chapters start.  I set the marker for the Intro button to the "dummy" chapter, then set the markers for the rest of the buttons to my actual chapters.  As before, the first button - the Intro button - jumped to the beginning of the BRD and played the Intro again.  It did not jump to the "dummy" chapter.  The rest of my buttons work fine.   So, this workaround worked.  The trade-off is I have a button called Intro on my menu, which is a nuisance, but it works. 

Mark

•  11-06-2017, 20:04 751951 in reply to 751913

jjn:
    Not sure if you know this but VLC doesn't play intro video by default:
    I did know that - but when I first attempted to play back the image VLC wasn't doing anything with navigation; it was just treating the image as a set of files in a folder and playing them one after another.

Eventually I twigged that VLC wasn't automatically identifying what I was trying to open as a disc image, and had to be told explicitly ("Media | Open Disc..." and then tell it that the selected folder was a Blu-ray image. The menus worked normally, and I did not experience the issue that the original poster had; the "Play movie" button (button 1) on my main menu went to the correct place - the start of the main movie (and didn't play the intro video again). But VLC does not show any chapter navigation options (no "previous/next" buttons in the transport controls and the "Playback | Chapter" menu entry is greyed-out). But that happens with a BD image created by PS21 (or MyDVD) too, so I think it's a VLC problem.

MPC-HC doesn't seem to support the BD menus, the intro video and main movie show as two playlists, and stepping through the chapters in the main movie works OK via the buttons in its transport controls. But the menus don't appear.

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-13-2021, 16:08 811813 in reply to 751950

MWDunaway:

So, I tried another workaround.  I again created the "extra" button called Intro and made it the "first button" on my menu.  I then created a "dummy" chapter consisting of a single title right after the menu - before my actual chapters start.  I set the marker for the Intro button to the "dummy" chapter, then set the markers for the rest of the buttons to my actual chapters.  As before, the first button - the Intro button - jumped to the beginning of the BRD and played the Intro again.  It did not jump to the "dummy" chapter.  The rest of my buttons work fine.   So, this workaround worked.  The trade-off is I have a button called Intro on my menu, which is a nuisance, but it works. 

Mark

I wish I had thought to search for this a week ago!  I have for the first time tried to put an introductory video on a Blu-ray disc and had the same problem.  I also devised for myself the exact same workaround, when I realised that it always jumps to the start of the disc for the first Chapter mark after the menu.  Only new thing to add is that if you play the movie from within Studio 15 using the DVD controls when in Edit mode it works fine, but on commercial players, and in my case PowerDVD 13 on my PC, it shows the problem.

•  02-14-2021, 6:54 811822 in reply to 811813

I see in your signature that you own PS24. Why don't you use it to create this BR. Intros can be added before the home menu with PS24.
  •  02-18-2021, 7:56 811890 in reply to 811822

saby:
    I see in your signature that you own PS24. Why don't you use it to create this BR. Intros can be added before the home menu with PS24.

Thank you, I have spent the last few days learning how to do just that!  I have posted in the PS24 thread.  I find PS24 way more complicated to use compared with Studio 15, but I have now successfully created an mp4 movie with 6 windows showing my friends playing along with me on our flutes. Lockdown music!

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy