Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS 15 HD Ultimate Layout

Last post 12-15-2016, 20:33 by saby. 24 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-28-2016, 19:46 726403

PS 15 HD Ultimate Layout

Hello,

I've been using v15 for what seems like ages, I started with v9 back in 2006 or 2007 and loved it. I trained myself how to use all of the functionality. Eventually I upgraded to v12 then v15 over the past almost 10 years. I've been using v15 exclusively since 2012 or thereabouts.

The layout, design and simplicity of use is what has kept me from buying any version after 15. The entire Avid layout is not only confusing but chaotic and time consuming to traverse all of it's features and functions.

I've purchased various plugins and effects as well as downloaded pretty much all of the free montages on 20cents website there are or I need for v15. The problem I have is, I got v17 for Christmas back in 2014 and was astronomically unhappy. I hate it! but it has montages and transitions I want to use in v15. I have used it maybe 5 times in 2 years to create small videos which I ultimately wind up incorporating into videos I produce in v15. I've been waiting patiently hoping the v15 layout and design would be brought back but it doesn't appear that is ever going to happen. I've tried a couple other software titles, one of which is Wondershare Filmora which seems to be exactly like PS 15 layout but it is ridiculously buggy and slow.

Does anybody know if I can buy the effects, transitions or montages for any version after v15 to be backwards compatible with 15? I re-started doing movies again back in September for my kids hockey teams. I do a lot of highlight videos and I just cannot get used to using v17, it's like a nightmare trying to figure it all out and get used to it. I've been making unsuccessful attempts for the past 2 months but it seems the more youtube videos I watch, the more frustrated I become when things take too long, don't turn out the way I want or the software crashes, and 17 crashes a lot. I have no interest in doing any work around for it either. I'm sticking with v15 and hoping there's a way I can still buy effects, transitions or montages somebody might still be developing exclusively for versions 15 and below.

Thoroughly annoyed and hoping somebody has some good ideas to help with my version. Thanks in advance for any replies. 

•  11-28-2016, 19:56 726407 in reply to 726403

Re:PS 15 HD Ultimate Layout

Hi and welcome to this forum.

jernatety1:

Does anybody know if I can buy the effects, transitions or montages for any version after v15 to be backwards compatible with 15?

You can't.

•  11-28-2016, 20:17 726408 in reply to 726407

Re: Re:PS 15 HD Ultimate Layout

Thank you for the response.

I guess that's by design like most software developers to force you into buying the latter versions. Out of curiosity, why did they continue development after 15 with an entirely new design, layout and feature set? Typically when a company is going to make such wide ranging changes that encompass the entirety of the user experience they tend to make it gradual and some times continue with both a new and pre-existing interface. They literally went from this is the way it is today, its going to be completely gone in and different in the next version. 

•  11-28-2016, 20:35 726409 in reply to 726408

jernatety1:

Out of curiosity, why did they continue development after 15 with an entirely new design, layout and feature set?

Mainly for technical reasons.  PS15 was not a multitracks program and the market required multitracks. PS15 had reached the limit of what its engine could do. They had to go a step forward to include more modern technologies like H.264, 4K, 3D, etc.

jernatety1:

Typically when a company is going to make such wide ranging changes that encompass the entirety of the user experience they tend to make it gradual and some times continue with both a new and pre-existing interface.

That's exactly what they did : PS15 and Avid Studio were launched almost simultaneously.

•  11-28-2016, 20:51 726413 in reply to 726409

I don't know what multi-tracks are and apparently never really needed them, I've been doing professionally authored video productions since 2007 and have been able to continue doing so without any loss of business and have been able to evolve with customer requirements and needs since. Problem is, I'm running out of creativity options and have been since the change. I typically have to create effects and reuse them with various overlays and other effects to make them look like a professionally authored effect like something you'd get from the newer versions or Adobe after effects, of which I am using but Iife was a lot easier when I didn't have to incorporate 2 or 3 other programs to generate what I was able to do prior in Studio. 

Can you suggest another software besides Filmora which functions similarly and has the same or like interface as Studio 15? 

•  11-28-2016, 21:09 726416 in reply to 726413

jernatety1:

I don't know what multi-tracks are and apparently never really needed them,

How could you create this video in Studio 15 without using the motion titler :

• a video as background
    • a logo top-right
    • a lower-third
    • one Picture In Picture to the right
    • one Picture In Picture to the left

That's impossible without several tracks to place each asset on a track.

•  11-28-2016, 21:15 726418 in reply to 726416

Video as the background with a montage underneath and make a motion title using the picture in picture effect. I do it all the time. I just did it over the weekend with a new highlight video I made for my kids team.
  •  11-28-2016, 21:18 726419 in reply to 726418

I said without Motion titler.  Wink

Motion titler is a multitracks tool.

•  11-28-2016, 21:20 726420 in reply to 726419

Oh, my bad. Sorry about that. That further reinforces my point though. If it wasn't necessarily broken, (as it isn't in my case) why fix it if it can already be done?  

•  11-28-2016, 21:31 726421 in reply to 726420

Ok, new challenge. This time you're allowed to use Motion titler.

You make the exact same video than above but one of the Picture In Picture must be turned to black & white. How do you do that ?

•  11-28-2016, 22:26 726428 in reply to 726421

I'm not at home but I would drop a video on the time line, put an image under it and apply the 2d effect for the picture and position on the left, create a full title overlay with the second image on the right and drop that under the image. 

•  11-28-2016, 22:40 726429 in reply to 726428

You score one point. Yes

What if I ask you to have the second PIP with B&W too ?

•  11-28-2016, 23:53 726431 in reply to 726429

I don't know that is possible, but then again I'm not sure I ever really had to do that. I typically use the film effect and make pictures sephia or leave them as full color and just add old film effect to it. I have done various pictures that way in multiple layovers.

EDIT: Has the 2D effect in v17 ever worked as designed or "advertised" as not losing video integrity with respect to resolution? I have used v17 primarily for zooming in on clips when the goalie makes a great save or a goal is scored. The videos I record are in 1080p 30fps 1920x1080 resolution. The pan and zoom effect in v15 gets really grainy. In 17 it doesn't get much better with the 2D effect in the editor.

•  11-29-2016, 6:28 726439 in reply to 726431

jernatety1:

EDIT: Has the 2D effect in v17 ever worked as designed or "advertised" as not losing video integrity with respect to resolution?

Where did you read that ?

It's not possible to zoom in a picture without loosing quality. That's Maths.

•  11-29-2016, 13:09 726455 in reply to 726439

saby:
    jernatety1:

EDIT: Has the 2D effect in v17 ever worked as designed or "advertised" as not losing video integrity with respect to resolution?

Where did you read that ?

It's not possible to zoom in a picture without loosing quality. That's Maths.

2 different tutorials. I know I've read it somewhere too.

Pan and zoom in Pinnacle Studio without losing resolution 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw3KEH9o360 

Pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate - Zoom Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=any1IjwmnWQ 

•  11-29-2016, 17:49 726470 in reply to 726455

A digital zoom always degrade visual quality when compared to the source image. It can't be different.
  •  11-29-2016, 18:29 726478 in reply to 726470

I thought that it wasn't possible but these guys swear it is so that's why I asked. I use pan and zoom all the time on high def images without a problem, it's just high def video I found it odd it still gets grainy. Figured in this day somebody would've figured out some engineering to fix it. 
  •  11-29-2016, 19:22 726482 in reply to 726478

Visual quality is mainly a matter of resolution = how many pixels per inches. In short it's a measurement of pixels density. Each time you zoom in a picture, this density is lowered.
  •  11-29-2016, 19:26 726484 in reply to 726482

I completely understand that and the logic behind it. What I don't understand is how there can be a magnifier and fish eye effect which doesn't affect the overall quality/resolution like pan and zoom does. Isn't magnifier zooming in on a centralized location?
  •  11-30-2016, 10:42 726497 in reply to 726403

Re: PS 15 HD Ultimate Layout

jernatety1:

Hello,

I've been using v15 for what seems like ages, I started with v9 back in 2006 or 2007 and loved it. I trained myself how to use all of the functionality. Eventually I upgraded to v12 then v15 over the past almost 10 years. I've been using v15 exclusively since 2012 or thereabouts.

The layout, design and simplicity of use is what has kept me from buying any version after 15. The entire Avid layout is not only confusing but chaotic and time consuming to traverse all of it's features and functions.

Agree with you absolutely.

Have been on (Purchased) S9, S9plus, S10, S12, S14, S14 Ultimate, S18 over the years.

With S18 everything i had learned - had to be learned again. Reading Manuals, Watching Youtube - spent hours on it. It was hard to learn.

I ofcourse tried importing my old Studio projects - the importer was very poor on my projects. Had to do everything all over again - so you tend to revert back to S14 for small edits.

Conclusion so far is the investment in S18 was waste of my money. S14 combined with Handbrake does what I need for now. The advanced functions of S18 I checked crashed for me or I just couldnt figure out how it worked.

Looking ahead - I honestly feel Corel completely miss out on keeping me on-board and encurage me in investing in more upgrades with them.

Seems like Corel is targeting capturing new customers - good for them - wonder how t goes ?

•  11-30-2016, 12:54 726501 in reply to 726497

Hi Cee5,

What does Handbrake do that Studio doesn't? The production presets in seem to be the same with respect to file type, codec and compression. 

•  11-30-2016, 13:50 726503 in reply to 726501

Handbrake can produce a .mp4 file with Chapter info included (Studio cannot).

I use that to convert my P14 BluRay projects to .mp4 - several files - i.e. one high-res for viewing on the AppleTV on the big screen - another "low-res" for viewing on iPads and iPhones.

Saves alot of processing-time also since Handbrake is fast in the downscaling from BluRay project to a 720x420 size .mp4 file - or whatever I want. 

I use the app Infuse (free version is ok) to play the files - and I can jump forwards/backwards to "next chapter". Like it for home videos that I have not done much editing on - just added chapter info on new scenes - and it is then quick to jump to whatever you want to see. On a laptop VLC supports the Chapter info in the .mp4 files and is able to jump-to-next too.

Cee5

•  11-30-2016, 14:07 726504 in reply to 726503

Ahhh, gotcha. The highlight videos I make are sports videos and don't typically go beyond 5 mins. Therefore I have no particular need for chapters or menus. All of the videos also get pushed up to the teams youtube channel in HD as well. 
  •  12-15-2016, 10:33 727351 in reply to 726403

jernatety1:

Cee5:

Have been on (Purchased) S9, S9plus, S10, S12, S14, S14 Ultimate, S18 over the years.

With S18 everything i had learned - had to be learned again. Reading Manuals, Watching Youtube - spent hours on it. It was hard to learn.

I echo both of your experiences, findings and conclusions. I've taught many people how to use PS15 over the years and everyone understood it rather easily and were able to make rather impressive productions in a short amount of time. Then they typically taught me some new things. I've tried the newer gen versions, but I've never purchased them because of the many unintuitive layouts, cumbersome workflows and bugs. I keep coming back to PS15. There have been a couple of times that I've recorded more than two camera angles and needed more than two video tracks, but I've worked around that successfully with PS15. 3D isn't as prevalent as predicted even with major film releases.

If Corel would resurrect PS15 and fix some of the minor bugs, improve the performance, add some new professional-looking enhancements I'd purchase the upgrades the day they came out. Or if they'd sell PS15 to a capable development company (or make it open source) to enhance and develop, I think it would do really well. Every time I produce a project and send it to people, I always get asked what software I used to make it. There is a big market of people who want to create great results without having to watch a lot of YouTube how-to videos and spend weeks and weeks learning how to work the software.

I believe that with hardware improvements combined with improved skills of the software developers today, limitations of PS15 that existed in 2011 could be resolved and I'd be paying Corel for each update that they offered me.

•  12-15-2016, 20:33 727386 in reply to 727351

The market wanted a true multi-tracks NLE, Pinnacle with Avid made it. I doubt Corel will ever make such a step backward.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright ¬© 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy