Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Western Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming in the American West

Last post 05-23-2020, 6:32 by PuterMan. 20 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-23-2016, 0:04 718723

Western Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming in the American West

Recently I took a quick trip to Denver, Colorado to see my new grandson. On the way I took some test video along the Oregon-California Trail where one of my relatives travelled way back in 1850 on his way to find California gold. There was enough video to actually put together a short clip, although without much video the scene cuts look a little "funky". Hopefully, I'll soon be able to do a much fuller documentary of his journey and this test video was taken in preparation for that. I learned a lot about shooting video out west where things are larger that they look and further than they look, as well as keeping an eye out for rattlesnakes and a Golden Eagle who very nearly had my drone for lunch. It is an awesome place!

HERE is the video.

•  08-23-2016, 8:48 718748 in reply to 718723

Re: Western Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming in the American West

Nice work Larry! Aerial shots were great.
  •  08-23-2016, 9:30 718751 in reply to 718748

Tony P:
    Nice work Larry! Aerial shots were great.

Thank you, Tony. When I got back I made a whole page of notes about how different it is to shoot video in wide open spaces as compared to the eastern US. Here is a blog post from the trip that details some of those notes.

Larry

•  08-23-2016, 10:08 718752 in reply to 718751

People have lost drones to birds of prey. A golden eagle would have really done a job to your drone it it got it's talons into it....... or worse, you!

I can see what problems someone would have filming out there in the wide open spaces. Trying to capture it all on "film" is almost impossible. Like trying to record and playback a thunder/lighting storm on your tv.  NYC poses some of the same problems. Tall buildings everywhere. It's hard to even begin to convey the size of them and scope of the height. It's one of those "you have to be there to understand" moments.

Do you do much post processing of the drone footage? 

•  08-23-2016, 12:32 718757 in reply to 718752

Tony P:

Do you do much post processing of the drone footage? 

I don't usually do any post processing of the drone footage. The 3-axis gimbal that mounts the camera is an awesome piece of technology! For example, during all of the river footage it was very windy and turbulent at various heights, near the tree tops, etc. and yet the footage turned out very smooth. I find that if stabilization needs to be done I usually don't use the clip at all. Rarely I will do some things like straighten the clip if the horizon is oddly out of kilter, and once in a great while I will need to adjust color balance between clips if they are used next to one another but shot under different lighting conditions. That's about it, really, except for the normal scene cutting.

By the way, I can't imagine flying this drone in NYC! However, I have a quadcopter forum friend who lives in NYC and has flown/filmed all of the major bridges and many, many buildings, over the rivers, and in all kinds of climates. He has my respect, and his videos are phenomenal... this guy has guts! Many times he takes his wife and two young children along for the experience. HERE is one of his clips.

•  08-23-2016, 16:52 718769 in reply to 718757

Sorry Larry, I'm usually fond of your productions (definitely because of the historical background they deal with), but this time "je reste sur ma faim". GIYF, I don't know an equivalent expression in English.

Why did you put so many shots of the same landscape (I guess that's the Chimney Rock) ? Too many repetitions for me.

Big Smile 

•  08-23-2016, 18:20 718782 in reply to 718769

One day, I plan to get a "real" drone. Lots to shoot over here and I have plenty of ideas. But not plenty of money..... Sad
  •  08-23-2016, 21:44 718802 in reply to 718769

saby:

Sorry Larry, I'm usually fond of your productions (definitely because of the historical background they deal with), but this time "je reste sur ma faim". GIYF, I don't know an equivalent expression in English.

Why did you put so many shots of the same landscape (I guess that's the Chimney Rock) ? Too many repetitions for me.

Big Smile 

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video, saby, and for your honesty. This particular video wasn’t intended to have much context as storytelling goes… it was meant only to record test shots of filming video in wide open spaces and will help me know how to get really nice videos for an upcoming family documentary which will follow a couple of my ancestors along the Oregon-California Trail in 1850. These locations I filmed, though, are very historical and prominent locations used by the emigrants as markers to gauge their speed of travel, and I tried to keep the views as close as possible to what the emigrants themselves saw.

Even today most Americans are familiar with some of these places and the migration west along the main 2,000 mile route since they, like me, may have some ancestors who used the trail. Most non-Americans would not have as much understanding of these things and the video doesn’t make as much sense to them.

My reasoning for having so many of the same scenes (Chimney Rock, etc.) is for me to learn what makes sense for videography out west. For example, Chimney rock in the morning using a drone and also using a normal video camera, and Chimney Rock in the evening using a drone and also using a normal video camera. What are the differences? So the 4 shots of the same object helps me understand how best to take future shots, where most people, like yourself, might wonder why so many shots of the same thing. Along the way I recorded a whole page of notes about how best to shoot video in wide open spaces and also what to watch out for environmentally (flash floods, quicksand, cliffs, poisonous snakes, etc.).

In the end I learned that the west is a place where a person actually has to visit to understand what it is about. There surely are some European equivalent locations but I am not as familiar with them. I’ll never forget N. Scott Momaday saying “most people would say that the West is a place that has to be seen to be believed, but I would say sometimes that it is a place that has to be believed to be seen.” That means my job will be difficult to portray on video something that is very difficult to capture visually. So, your comments help me to know how a video like this strikes a person who may not have ever visited there, and how to tell a good story for them. Your comments will be added to my notes.

At the risk of complicating things further, here is a short interview that I made a couple of years ago of one of my relatives in California who is the great-granddaughter of John App (my last name is App) and his wife Leanna Donner. John and Leanna are the people my video follows and this may help put the Oregon-California Trail into context. For further context Google “The Donner Party”. Some of the articles will be sensationalized, but there are plenty of good links featuring realistic history. HERE is the link to my “cousin’s” impromptu interview.

Thank you!

Larry

•  08-23-2016, 21:49 718803 in reply to 718782

Tony P:
    One day, I plan to get a "real" drone. Lots to shoot over here and I have plenty of ideas. But not plenty of money..... Sad

Ha! Yes, Tony... it is only a matter of money, right? There are lots of really nice drones out there. Mine is "old" at a year and a half, but it serves me well as an extra camera. I suspect that you have some really interesting things to film over there. I've seen some videos on YouTube of the old buildings, etc. and they are beautiful !!!  If you get a drone I will be looking forward to your flights. Even over here I will need to live to be about 200 years to get all my projects done!

•  08-23-2016, 22:22 718806 in reply to 718802

PuterMan:
    There surely are some European equivalent locations but I am not as familiar with them.

I don't know anything equivalent here.

If you remove Russia from the counting, you can say Europe is overcrowded compared to Wild West states. I mean if you consider density of population.

Stats say 113 inhabitants/km² in European union when it's 34 inhabitants/km² in the USA. And Western states are far less dense than Eastern states. Wyoming is 2.2 inhabitants/km² while Nebraska is 9.

This gives huge spaces with more ratlesnakes than American citizens.

Nothing like that in Europe, actually.

•  08-24-2016, 3:30 718818 in reply to 718723

Great job. Is this a beautiful country or what?

•  08-24-2016, 3:32 718819 in reply to 718802

I thought I saw the deep ruts of the Oregon Trail in there. Amazing how long that has lasted.
  •  08-24-2016, 9:33 718838 in reply to 718818

dwatson102:

Great job. Is this a beautiful country or what?

Yes it is! There are places in the west that have to be some of the prettiest spots on the planet.

•  08-24-2016, 9:43 718839 in reply to 718819

dwatson102:
    I thought I saw the deep ruts of the Oregon Trail in there. Amazing how long that has lasted.

Yes, these are the deep ruts at Guernsey, Wyoming. I was testing to see if they could be captured well visually and I think it is hard to do. Maybe morning and/or evening with shadows might help (I was there at noon). The best way would be to have something as a reference like a person or a wagon coming through as a reenactment. So many things out west are difficult to reproduce on video (i.e. the Grand Canyon, etc.)! Here is some of what Wikipedia says about this location: "Oregon Trail Ruts is a preserved site of wagon ruts of the Oregon Trail on the North Platte River, about .5 miles south of Guernsey, Wyoming. The Oregon Trail here was winding up towards South Pass. Wagon wheels, draft animals, and people wore down the trail about two to six feet into a sandstone ridge here, during its heavy usage from 1841-1869.[3] The half-mile stretch is "unsurpassed" and is the best-preserved set of Oregon Trail ruts anywhere along its former length."

•  05-21-2020, 16:33 799771 in reply to 718723

Here is an update from a video I made 4 years ago (in this thread) in which I was testing if it made sense to film the Great American West landscape with a drone. Since then I have updated it with other video and stills from some of my other trips out there, and now it is like I want it. It is part of my own family documentary where I am following one of my relatives (John App) on the exact route he took in 1850 for the California Gold Rush.

There are places in the video where he passed by along with thousands of other emigrants… the Platte River, Courthouse and Jail Rock, and Chimney Rock in Nebraska. There are places in Wyoming… the magnificent trail ruts at Guernsey, Independence Rock where John chiseled his name in the stone, Devil’s Gate a V-shaped gorge that is 300 feet wide at the top and 30 feet wide at the bottom through which the Sweetwater River flows, and South Pass on the Continental Divide near the Wind River Mountains.

Today, Interstate 80 is a highway that closely parallels not only the California-Oregon Trail, but also the Transcontinental Railroad. Many traveling this road west by car grumble that there is not much to see, but I would say it is all in knowing where to look.

Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/420914182/bab767c802

•  05-21-2020, 17:10 799773 in reply to 799771

Nicely done! Relaxing too!
  •  05-21-2020, 20:36 799781 in reply to 799773

Tony P:
    Nicely done! Relaxing too!

Thank you, Tony! I just woke up after posting it... ha!

Larry  

•  05-22-2020, 4:40 799789 in reply to 799781

Great piece of video, Larry.

Seems that the Mavic has no longer any secret for you, my friend !!!   Big Smile

•  05-23-2020, 2:44 799844 in reply to 799789

saby:

Great piece of video, Larry.

Seems that the Mavic has no longer any secret for you, my friend !!!   Big Smile

Thank you, Yann! When I was doing the editing it was evident that a drone sometimes doesn't make big difference from a regular video camera in the American West where the scenery is so large and so distant. If it can be flown relatively closer, however, it adds a look like none other. One nice thing about flying it out west is that there are no planes, people, or buildings to worry about, so normal limitations are not quite so restrictive. However, I quickly learned that birds of prey (in my case a Golden Eagle) just don't like drones in their territory. One came SO CLOSE to taking mine down, but fortunately my drone was about 5 meters from me... and the bird let it alone. I tucked it behind a close tree, but whenever I would bring it out to land there that eagle was. Finally, I landed it but my heart was beating quickly! A Golden Eagle's wingspan is about 6 feet (2 meters). This exact bird can be seen flying low over the river (the second bird following another bird) at the 49 - 56 second mark. It was then that he veered off and came up after my drone. Beautiful bird, though!

Larry 

•  05-23-2020, 5:48 799858 in reply to 799844

Buy a Reaper and you'll be more comfortable if an Eagle approaches your drone !

Big Smile

•  05-23-2020, 6:32 799862 in reply to 799858

saby:

Buy a Reaper and you'll be more comfortable if an Eagle approaches your drone !

Big Smile

Thanks for the advice! I ordered one and it should be here next Wednesday.

Larry 

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy