Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Box of old VHS tapes to import.

Last post 07-26-2016, 23:28 by culpanr. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-25-2016, 22:14 716535

Box of old VHS tapes to import.

So it finally happened. The in laws hit me up to convert their home movies. I dug out my old ADVC110 but do not have a VHS player...  can't imagine why not. I plan to end on standard definition DVD's so naturally I have a few questions.

1) Is the ADVC110 a good converter for the job. It does have S-VIDEO inputs which I think is a slightly better quality input.

2) What plugins / setup is the best to cleanup the bad video in Studio 19.5. I know this is relative question but what are you doing that works well. I have many of the extra plugins installed. Just have not done video restoration in a long time. The last go around was with VDUB on Windows XP. 

3) Besides the Walmart VHS player for 89 USD. Any recommendations on a good one to use.

Any additional thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

•  07-25-2016, 23:16 716545 in reply to 716535

Re: Box of old VHS tapes to import.

1) No idea if it's good or bad, but it's what you have, so work with it. . . . . . imho Wink

2) Try and capture as DV-AVI files. With DV-AVI every frame contains a full image since there's little to no compression done with DV-AVI. This will maximize how much of that VHS signal you will retain and can work with in Studio. If you capture as mpeg-2 you will forever lose some of that already poor quality VHS video. Then when you render to a dvd, you may lose more video when Studio creates the dvd files.

3) Check with relatives, neighbors, and friends. Someone surely has a VCR laying around. I have 3, I think. Unless the in-laws are willing to buy it for you, then go for it.

Then read this article: THE LAST VCR 

It had to happen eventually.

Joe

•  07-26-2016, 7:13 716550 in reply to 716545

I have used the ADVC 110 for some time now since I have a large archive of filmed material from the 1980's onwards on SVHS and am continually producing DVDs for people using that source material. Anything mastered in SVHS will be handled well by the ADVC 110 reproducing the full 400 or so lines of horizontal resolution. However, as VHS only produces 250 lines at best, the quality of the original source material will determine the quality of the captured image.

Although quite expensive, I would highly recommend the ADVC 110 

•  07-26-2016, 16:52 716613 in reply to 716545

Typical... I need one and they will stop making them. Maybe I should get a few Smile

I will use the DV-AVI option for sure. Since I am in the USA the VHS signal recorded on the tapes is also NTSC. I guess 29.97i even field first. The ADVC will capture as NTSC DV so it will be bottom field first. I do not think this is a problem since I am going to SD DVD for mastering.

So VCR - check

ADVC - check

Thanks.

•  07-26-2016, 17:32 716617 in reply to 716550

Bob keen:

I have used the ADVC 110 for some time now since I have a large archive of filmed material from the 1980's onwards on SVHS and am continually producing DVDs for people using that source material. Anything mastered in SVHS will be handled well by the ADVC 110 reproducing the full 400 or so lines of horizontal resolution. However, as VHS only produces 250 lines at best, the quality of the original source material will determine the quality of the captured image.

The tapes have SVHS and HQ on them. Not all of them so i think it is a mixed bag. As for cleanup what do you use. I think I need to shift back the chroma vs luminance. So does studio use RGB and can shift I and Q vs Y or in YUV and shift U and V vs Y. I am looking in the plugins and corrections but i am not sure of the best order and what to use. i would want to sharpen, boost the levels, adjust the HSV, denoise or time smooth the noise,  trim the overscan and resize to DVD.

I think I need to clip the input levels for TV black at 14 and white at 252 in RGB.

Sorry for my nerd questions.

Thanks

•  07-26-2016, 23:28 716672 in reply to 716617

Bolter44:
    Bob keen:

The tapes have SVHS and HQ on them. Not all of them so i think it is a mixed bag. As for cleanup what do you use. I think I need to shift back the chroma vs luminance. So does studio use RGB and can shift I and Q vs Y or in YUV and shift U and V vs Y. I am looking in the plugins and corrections but i am not sure of the best order and what to use. i would want to sharpen, boost the levels, adjust the HSV, denoise or time smooth the noise,  trim the overscan and resize to DVD.

I think I need to clip the input levels for TV black at 14 and white at 252 in RGB.

Sorry for my nerd questions.

Thanks

I am not aware of any plugin for Studio 19 that can do a chroma shift. But Studio 19 Ultimate does have plugins for pretty much everything else you mentioned (tweaking up brighness/contrast/colour, denoising, sharpening, cropping etc.). But it is a little lacking in audio cleaning tools; for doing any more than tweaking up the audio levels and removing a bit of hiss you might need to export the audio as a file, use external cleaning tools and import the cleaned audio back into Studio.

Regards,
    Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy