Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Hollywood FX Inverted

Last post 03-26-2016, 18:42 by BillC. 23 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-11-2013, 9:06 570878

Hollywood FX Inverted

With a new installation of Studio 16 Ultimate Collection all the Hollywood FX transitions are inverted. When playing 2 clips joined with an HFX transition, the first video clip flips over vertically at the start of the transition and continues with the second clip flipped vertically, and finally the second clip then returns to the correct way up after the transition. This makes the use of all Hollywood FX's useless.

All Standard transitions, and Studio HD transitions, all work normally.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

PS   the transition if flipped horizontally and vertically - i.e rotated 180 degrees

the transitions are displayed correctly in the HFX editor

•  01-13-2013, 2:07 571195 in reply to 570878

Re: Hollywood FX Inverted

This problem has miraculously disappeared without me doing anything other than to use the program. I have no real idea about why the problem has disappeared, so I am just hoping it does not reappear.

Presumably since there were no replies to the original post no one else has experienced the problem. How weird!

•  01-14-2013, 8:07 571418 in reply to 571195

I have seen that "upside down" issue with certain HFX transitions in all versions of Pinnacle Studio 11 onwards; on my systems it appeared to be an OpenGL issue (buggy implementation either in Studio or the graphics driver). And in call cases if in the HFX Creator the "render engine" setting was changed from "OpenGL" to "Software", the problem disappeared.

So in your case it might have "fixed itself" if the first time you used a particular HFX transition, Studio managed to workout that its OpenGL hardware acceleration didn't work on your graphics card abd set it back to "Software".

If you want to experiment, launch the HFX editor standalone outside of Studio (its program file is "easy_fx.exe") and look at the menu line settings for "preview" and "render engine" (the one for "render engine" isn't visible if calling the editor from inside Studio...). My current system works most reliably (freedom from weird unwanted effects in rendered HFX transitions) if both are set to "Software", though preview of some of the more complex HFX is a bit jerky...

Regards,
    Richard

•  01-14-2013, 10:54 571443 in reply to 571418

Thanks for the reply Richard. You are absolutely right!

The problem appears when the Render Engine is set to "Accelerated OpenGL", and works correctly when set to "Software". The settings of the Preview Render Engine makes no difference, it works correctly on "Accelerated OpenGL", "Software", and on "Software Hi-Res (Slowest). Fortunately, there is no obvious diffrence in speed between "Software" and "Accelerated Open GL".

I had been doing some test edits with Studio 16, some of which used used HFX. I remember changing the HFX rendering settings in Easy FX, but never connected the cause and effect.

I was previously using Studio 12 and never noticed the problem with that version. It's annoying that the problem has existed for such a long time without a fix.

Thanks again for your observation, it removes the concern that without knowing what caused the problem it would re-appear and not be fixable.

Regards,

John

•  01-15-2013, 7:40 571586 in reply to 571443

Glad you got it sorted...

I think the settings under "Preview" only apply when looking at the transition in the FX editor itself - not when previewing from the Studio timeline. So changes there probably won't seem to do anything.

I do remember that HFX seemed continually "at war" with Nvidia graphic drivers; during its earlier life (Studio 8/9/10) every time there was an update something got broken. But in those days ATI cards seemed better-behaved. But your profile lists an ATI/AMD graphics card, so looks like they have now moved the goalposts too and the old mature OpenGL driver in HFX doesn't like it any more. But HFX seems perfectly stable with software rendering and with a fast CPU on my system there's very little difference compared with OpenGL hardware rendering in the graphics card.

Regards,
    Richard

•  01-19-2013, 10:06 572361 in reply to 571586

Just installed the latest AMD Catalyst 13.1 graphics drivers - HFX still inverted with Render Engine set to "Accelerated OpenGL", OK with "Software" rendering.
  •  03-14-2013, 8:46 583767 in reply to 572361

Running with ATI cards since the original Radeon. Although I seldom if every use the HFX, none of mine have ever been inverted. Can you give me a specific one to look at?

The issues I have had with HFX is "reverse" doesn't work. That is about it. Running 13.1 without the CCC or whatever it's called now.

•  03-14-2013, 9:20 583780 in reply to 583767

This is the first Radeon card I have had a problem with when working with Studio.

The card is an HIS  Radeon 7850 IceQ X 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E (H785QN2G2M), a current generation card. The problem exists with both 12.10 and 13.1 drivers.

The problem happens with all HFX's, but try "Wedding Bell" in HFX Volume 1, its easy to see whether its upside-down. The effect is inverted, as well as the lead-in and lead-out video.

Reverse works as intended, except inverted.

Note that this problem only happens when the Render Engine in EasyFX editor is set to "Accelerated OpenGL". "Software" must be selected for the HFX to have the correct orientation in Studio 16.

•  03-14-2013, 9:53 583786 in reply to 583780

Attachment: Wedding Bell.jpg
    It seems to be working just fine in my setup. OpenGL is ticked on.

•  03-14-2013, 10:20 583794 in reply to 583786

Attachment: Bell.jpg

This problem has been reported by others, but is obviously a problem with the drivers installed under 13.1 for the latest generation of Radeon cards. I doubt if many people would notice the problem since "Software" rendering is set by default, I only noticed it because as a long time user of HFX I knew about the various rendering settings.

I am not too concerned about it because, the graphics card has developed an intermittent fault and I am going to change to an NVidia GTX 660, I hope that works!

•  03-14-2013, 12:52 583831 in reply to 583794

Report back when you can to see if this problem is resolved by switching video cards.
  •  03-16-2013, 10:36 584221 in reply to 583831

Not an AMD graphics card problem

I have now changed from a Radeon HD 7850 to an NVidia GeForce GTX 660 graphics card, and HFX's are still inverted if Setup > Render Engine > "Accelerated OpenGL" is selected in EasyFX. The only way to get them to work the correct way up is to use  "Software" as the render engine.

I have tried changing other settings in EasyFX to see if certain combinations of settings is causing the problem - but with no improvement.

This shows that the problem is not directly attributed to the AMD Radeon drivers, but I am currently at a loss to understand what else could be the cause.

Confused

•  03-16-2013, 12:06 584231 in reply to 584221

Re: Not an AMD graphics card problem

Strange, mine is right side up, but the reverse does not work. And I have always had a Nvidia GeForce GT260.
  •  03-16-2013, 12:20 584236 in reply to 584231

Mine is working fine, dont know how to reverse it to check that,, I dont use transitions much
  •  03-16-2013, 12:47 584246 in reply to 584236

To reverse a transition (one way) hover your mouse over the transition, right mouse click, select "Transition - Edit transition" then click on the "Reverse" check box.
  •  03-16-2013, 13:22 584257 in reply to 584246

Thanks.. Mine does reverse. The very first one did not reverse for some reason, then I did it again and 3 others at the front and ends of clips and they all reversed with no problems.
  •  03-16-2013, 14:08 584264 in reply to 584257

No, mine will not, but it does reverse in studio 12 using the same files. Other transitions in this group do reverse.
  •  03-18-2013, 7:23 584529 in reply to 584264

There was another thread with the discussion on reversing HFX transitions. Some work, some don't. What was consistent were the ones that did not work.

Curious as it if there was a solution to the upside down problems with HFX. The only time I experienced this was when I tried to put StageTools in PS16 and use it. 

•  01-18-2015, 13:26 661392 in reply to 583794

i got the same proplem in studio 18.2.  NVIDIA GT640. I READ ALL THE THREAD BUT NOT SOLUTION FOR THIS COMPLIANT. ANY BODY HELP?
  •  01-18-2015, 13:47 661395 in reply to 661392

Attachment: HFXeditor_PS18.jpg

amsudeen:
    i got the same proplem in studio 18.2.  NVIDIA GT640. I READ ALL THE THREAD BUT NOT SOLUTION FOR THIS COMPLIANT. ANY BODY HELP?
    I use a GT640 card in my desktop PC (340.52 driver) and with the "Setup" | "Render Engine" set as "Software" and not as "Accelerated OpenGL" the transitions are the "right way up".

Please confirm that your settings in the HFX Editor are exactly as shown in my attached screen shot - to see everything in the menu under "Settings" you must launch the HFX editor from outside Studio - assuming that you let PS18 install its content packs in the default place, you will find the HFX editor here - C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pinnacle\Studio18\Content\HollywoodFX\Easy_FX.exe

HTH
    Richard

•  01-20-2015, 3:59 661661 in reply to 661395

The problem happens with all HFX's, but try "Wedding Bell" in HFX Volume 1, its easy to see whether its upside-down. The effect is inverted, as well as the lead-in and lead-out video. Reverse works as intended, except inverted. Note that this problem only happens when the Render Engine in EasyFX editor is set to "Accelerated OpenGL". "Software" must be selected for the HFX to have the correct orientation in Studio 18.

when select Accelerated OpenGL render is fast. but, effects is up-down ( inverted.) any solution?

•  01-20-2015, 10:46 661684 in reply to 661661

Do not understand your question. Did you try Software as posted above and not OpenGL?

The fx work fine on my computer, so for me there is no fix required.

•  01-20-2015, 13:43 661704 in reply to 661661

amsudeen:
    when select Accelerated OpenGL render is fast. but, effects is up-down ( inverted.) any solution?
    No.

And it is highly unlikely that there will ever be a solution - HollywoodFX is mature / legacy software (IIRC first appeared in the late 1990s) - AFAIK it hasn't been updated at all since around the time of Pinnacle Studio 11 (the version 6.0.5 released back then is what you have today).

But if your CPU is fast, having to select "Setup | Render Engine" as "Software" in HFX does not cause much drop in performance. My laptop does not a particularly fast CPU (a "mobile" Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6GHz), and is able to preview the simpler HFX reasonably well without having to render them first. So, leave set at "Software" - it works fine (albeit not "optimal" as it would be nice to be able to offload a little more of the workload from the CPU to the GPU)

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-26-2016, 18:42 708947 in reply to 570878

Using Studio19 and I got the INVERTED HFx bug. I got it by messing around with 3rd party Hfz/Hfx files. Thanks to you all on this forum I now have all HFx transitions right side up. I opened Easy-Fx and clicked Render Engine settings a few times and lo and behold the transitions are righted. I am very glad this topic has stayed here for 3 years. Thank you community.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy