Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Does Studio12 actually capture anything?

Last post 03-18-2016, 21:06 by saby. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-15-2016, 20:57 708082

Does Studio12 actually capture anything?

I was trying to use the Dazzle USB video capture device (DVC100) to convert some VHS tapes.  So far, the device has been a worthless piece of junk.  I know the device should be at least somewhat functional, as using it under Linux will at least give me an image.  Granted, it's B&W only (from a colour tape) and no sound, but at least I know it is communicating with my system.

So I tried it on a couple other setups, MSWin10 and MSWin7.  I installed the bundled Studio12 software, and tried recording video to a digital file.  I would let it "record" for 10 MINUTES, and all it gives me is a 10-second blank video with distorted/scratchy sound.  Not much use, if you ask me.  Especially when an open-source tool can at least get SOMETHING from the device, useless as the image may be.  Multiple machines, multiple operating systems, it's all around a useless tool.  Using the same VHS deck I can dump a tape directly to a DVD Video Recorder deck, and the video comes out fine, so I know the player is functional (the main problem with the DVD VR is I end up with 90 minutes blank video if I try dumping a 2 1/2 hour video to disk).

Seriously, you sold this piece of junk and expected people to find it USEFUL????

•  03-15-2016, 21:17 708086 in reply to 708082

Re:Does Studio12 actually capture anything?

jelabarre59:

Seriously, you sold this piece of junk and expected people to find it USEFUL????

Who are you talking to ?

•  03-16-2016, 17:18 708152 in reply to 708082

Re: Does Studio12 actually capture anything?

There are a number of things that can cause issues with analogue capture - hardware configuration, video connections, disc bandwidth, USB port clashes, running old software on newer OS systems and much more.

For many people the Dazzle can work "out of the box". For some, it doesn't. Those people may want to post here to get help with the troubleshooting from posters who have some experience in getting them up and running. I've successfully captured hundred of hours of analogue video. Or they could just post a rant and then get ignored....

•  03-18-2016, 14:07 708318 in reply to 708152

You bought one of the lowest cost solutions and then expect it to run like a Cadillac?

I have used the same package for several years with multiple issues but "good enough" given the low cost and results i have seen from similar low cost solutions.  Nothing as bad as what you describe though.

My biggest complaint is the mere fact of getting out of date software when i bought a "new" package from a reputable national dealer, especially when the hardware and software are from the same vendor, and refusal of that vendor to provide the current version.

The fact that "technical support" consists of "ask other users, (we can't be bothered)" should give you another clue of what to expect.

ed 

•  03-18-2016, 21:06 708346 in reply to 708318

warmbeer:

My biggest complaint is the mere fact of getting out of date software when i bought a "new" package from a reputable national dealer, especially when the hardware and software are from the same vendor, and refusal of that vendor to provide the current version.

The desciption of the package content is clear on Pinnacle website, no ?

I mean, you know what you get when you buy it ?

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy