Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS19 installs but crashes

Last post 11-19-2015, 20:43 by Tony P. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-02-2015, 12:12 689514

PS19 installs but crashes

I was able to successfully install PS 19 Ultimate. Program will start. But consistently crashes a few seconds after startup.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    NGStudio.exe
      Application Version:    19.0.1.245
      Application Timestamp:    5602ef20
      Fault Module Name:    vfng.dll
      Fault Module Version:    19.0.1.245
      Fault Module Timestamp:    5602ed8c
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    0000000000052480
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    471a
      Additional Information 2:    471a50e0a474617563bdf64b674ff78f
      Additional Information 3:    3303
      Additional Information 4:    330328afc2eb6b768be119f58376d960

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

How do I fix this?

•  10-02-2015, 16:43 689556 in reply to 689514

Re:PS19 installs but crashes

My guess : you have a "Public Videos" (C:\Users\Public\Videos) folder listed in the navigation tree under "Effects".

•  10-02-2015, 19:39 689580 in reply to 689556

Re: Re:PS19 installs but crashes

saby:
    My guess : you have a "Public Videos" (C:\Users\Public\Videos) folder listed in the navigation tree under "Effects".
    If PS19 is crashing so soon after starting, a user may not have time to see the folder list or to click elsewhere in the navigation tree to get away from a "problematic" folder.

I have observed a similar issue (with the Windows Event Viewer (Application Log) showing an "application error" and an "unhandled exception" in the .NET Framework) - I found this was being caused by an error in Studio 19 when it was trying to import a list of active "Watchfolders" from the database belonging to a prior version of Studio (16, 17 or 18).

To verify and fix:

• Open the prior version of Studio; open its Control Panel ("Settings | Control Panel" or hit CTRL/ALT/C)
    • Display the "Watchfolders" page of the control panel.
    • If there are watchfolders configured (you have some folders listed in the space on the right, make a note of what those folders are and whether configured for photos/videos/audio files. Then remove all of those watchfolders from the list. Upon clicking OK to save the settings and close the control panel, when prompted choose not to delete the watchfolder content (so previously-imported stuff remains in the library
    • Close that prior version of Studio
    • If you have multiple prior versions, repeat for the other versions, so Watchfolders are turned off in all of those prior versions.

Now, it is necessary to delete Pinnacle Studio 19's folder containing the library, effects database etc. to force it to build a "clean" one not troubled by watchfolders from prior versions.

• Using Windows Exploirer / File Explorer navigate to the logged-on user's AppData folder. This is a "hidden" folder, to see it you may need to enable "Show hidden files & folders" in the Windows Explorer / File Explorer "folder & search options"
    • Locate and delete the folder "Pinnacle_Studio_19 + all its contents
    • Launch Pinnacle Studio 19; it should start up as it did the very first time it was launched (will display a few dialogue boxes and load the sample movie). Allow it a few minutes to build the new copy of the Library, effects database, thumbnail cache etc.

If you do need/use Watchfolders in the prior version(s) of Studio you can go back and re-enter them in the prior version's control panel. But note that if you need to perform a "reset" of PS19's library/effects database, the problem may recur unless you turn watchfolders off in the prior version(s) before doing that "reset!

HTH
    Richard

•  10-14-2015, 15:51 691220 in reply to 689580

Richard, so a friend of mine purchased version 19 ultimate and we ran in to this very problem. So I followed the instructions below and it did work, however, later on after working on a project with her for about an hour, it crashed again. Now it is doing the same thing. So I deleted the folder again and it loaded up fine but now her project is completely gone and she has to start over. So while this may seem like an initial solution it can actually be a catastrophe. Maybe this is something Corel needs to further investigate or maybe there is more information available. This system does have Studio 16 on it and I did disable the watch folders.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ed

culpanr:

saby:
    If PS19 is crashing so soon after starting, a user may not have time to see the folder list or to click elsewhere in the navigation tree to get away from a "problematic" folder.

I have observed a similar issue (with the Windows Event Viewer (Application Log) showing an "application error" and an "unhandled exception" in the .NET Framework) - I found this was being caused by an error in Studio 19 when it was trying to import a list of active "Watchfolders" from the database belonging to a prior version of Studio (16, 17 or 18).

To verify and fix:

• Open the prior version of Studio; open its Control Panel ("Settings | Control Panel" or hit CTRL/ALT/C)
    • Display the "Watchfolders" page of the control panel.
    • If there are watchfolders configured (you have some folders listed in the space on the right, make a note of what those folders are and whether configured for photos/videos/audio files. Then remove all of those watchfolders from the list. Upon clicking OK to save the settings and close the control panel, when prompted choose not to delete the watchfolder content (so previously-imported stuff remains in the library
    • Close that prior version of Studio
    • If you have multiple prior versions, repeat for the other versions, so Watchfolders are turned off in all of those prior versions.

Now, it is necessary to delete Pinnacle Studio 19's folder containing the library, effects database etc. to force it to build a "clean" one not troubled by watchfolders from prior versions.

• Using Windows Exploirer / File Explorer navigate to the logged-on user's AppData folder. This is a "hidden" folder, to see it you may need to enable "Show hidden files & folders" in the Windows Explorer / File Explorer "folder & search options"
    • Locate and delete the folder "Pinnacle_Studio_19 + all its contents
    • Launch Pinnacle Studio 19; it should start up as it did the very first time it was launched (will display a few dialogue boxes and load the sample movie). Allow it a few minutes to build the new copy of the Library, effects database, thumbnail cache etc.

If you do need/use Watchfolders in the prior version(s) of Studio you can go back and re-enter them in the prior version's control panel. But note that if you need to perform a "reset" of PS19's library/effects database, the problem may recur unless you turn watchfolders off in the prior version(s) before doing that "reset!

HTH
    Richard

•  10-14-2015, 17:23 691222 in reply to 691220

dun4cheap:
    So a friend of mine purchased version 19 ultimate and we ran in to this very problem. So I followed the instructions below and it did work, however, later on after working on a project with her for about an hour, it crashed again. Now it is doing the same thing. So I deleted the folder again and it loaded up fine but now her project is completely gone and she has to start over. So while this may seem like an initial solution it can actually be a catastrophe. Maybe this is something Corel needs to further investigate or maybe there is more information available. This system does have Studio 16 on it and I did disable the watch folders.

Any info would be appreciated.

I am afraid that is a situation I have not expereienced and haven't got a solution for (since my initial trouble with PS19 importing barmy watchfolder settings from PS16 and getting that crash, after giving PS19 the drastic "reset" it's been OK).

• Is the crash reported with the same symptoms (faulting module vfrt.dll etc.)?
    • Is there still an older version of Studio (16, 17 or 18) on the computer?
    • Have the watchfolders been turned back on in that version?

FWIW I do have several older versions of Studio (Avid Studio, PS16U and PS18U) but watchfolders are "off" (deleted from the list) in those versions. If watchfolders had been re-enabled in the earlier version after "fixing" PS19 the first time, I guess it's possible that adding stuff such as effect plug-ins to PS19 (and causing it to rebuild the effects database) might cause it to go looking "erroneously" into the databases of the older versions, find the watchfolders and fall into the same trap it did before Sad

If you find a "recipe" to reproduce the issue, please post and I'm sure it can be flagged up to Corel.

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-28-2015, 18:59 692793 in reply to 691222

Betreft: Re: Re:PS19 installs but crashes

Having tried all of the above mentioned "solutions" and including some "clean re-installs" and patch 19.0.2.251, PS 19 Ultimate keeps crashing just about every 2 minutes.
    We just have to conclude, that Corel/Pinnacle again managed to mess up things even more than they already did in previous versions.
    It is a total disaster so far and I don't think things will get any better than this. Maybe even worse.

Waste of money and effort to keep trying to get it to work. On my way to find a more stable product!

My 2 cents.
    Leo.

•  10-28-2015, 19:38 692797 in reply to 692793

Re: Betreft: Re: Re:PS19 installs but crashes

This is what I have been able to piece together on the issue from my own observations. I may be wrong, but PS has never explained this problem that has plagued PS since very early versions.

I believe most if not all crashes are due to attempting import of problem asset files into the library. The files may be munged, or it may be PS doesn't like a variation or such. Regardless, it is not graceful... it crashes. I have found cases where OTHER programs import files PS will not, and I have found cases where OTHER programs choke on them as well. MOST other programs don't crash though, but rather they complain to you.

In some earlier versions the folder watcher / asset importer was a SEPARATE PROCESS from the main PS application. Yet, as it ran, you would see it's progress on the status bar of PS. The helpful thing here is that you could see that it is about to import file xyz, and then that's where the watch folder import would crash. It gave you a very nice clue as to what the problem is, and you could move/delete the problem file easily. Because it was a SEPARATE PROCESS the crash of the importer did NOT affect the main application process.  You may not be able to import all new content automatically, but at least you could continue to use the main application.

In this version (and perhaps a few previous versions??),.. I don't know exactly where it changed. Rather than having the folder watcher / asset importer run in a SEPARATE PROCESS, it instead runs in the main application process, but in its own separate THREAD. I suspect with 64-bit binaries a decision was made to make this change. An uncaught exception in a THREAD will crash the entire process. So the process isolation is lost, which means if the import crashes, the entire application crashes. Additionally it no longer reports folder watch import progress on the status bar. Because of that I see no way to tell which of the import asset files is the one causing the problem.

I am a software developer. I don't know why the import crashes can not be CAUGHT and then handled gracefully. They may be so optimized that they do not employ programmatic exception handling. I suspect this is because of the technology or language the file importers are written in. There are still ways the software could be helpful here. For example... if before importing each file from watch folders, it would save the path of that file to a settings location. After successfully importing the file, then clear that settings location. If the program ever starts, and there is something in that settings location, the program could offer to AGAIN ATTEMPT THE LAST IMPORT OPERATION. If the user says yes, of course we are likely to see it crash again. If the user says no, then another option is presented. DO YOU WISH TO MOVE/RENAME/DELETE THE PROBLEM IMPORT FILE?  And regardless of that action, it would skip attempting to import the problem file again. This creates a scenario with a lot of bogus assets that it will pester the user to death as it starts up. But believe me, that is LESS irritating than having the program forever crashing shortly after startup.

This keeps us running. Avoids the mystic games we must play to keep it running. And provides some clarity to the crashes that is less than obvious now.

PLEASE GIVE A PRIORITY TO USABILITY IN THE LIBRARY UPDATE PLEASE! 

•  10-28-2015, 19:51 692799 in reply to 692793

Re:Betreft: Re: Re:PS19 installs but crashes

leovee:

We just have to conclude, that Corel/Pinnacle again managed to mess up things even more than they already did in previous versions.

You conclude what you want but don't try to present your opinion as an universal truth. Most users don't experience crashing like you.

•  10-28-2015, 19:52 692800 in reply to 692797

Lee Gillie:

This is what I have been able to piece together on the issue from my own observations. I may be wrong, but PS has never explained this problem that has plagued PS since very early versions.

I believe most if not all crashes are due to attempting import of problem asset files into the library. The files may be munged, or it may be PS doesn't like a variation or such. Regardless, it is not graceful... it crashes. I have found cases where OTHER programs import files PS will not, and I have found cases where OTHER programs choke on them as well. MOST other programs don't crash though, but rather they complain to you.

In some earlier versions the folder watcher / asset importer was a SEPARATE PROCESS from the main PS application. Yet, as it ran, you would see it's progress on the status bar of PS. The helpful thing here is that you could see that it is about to import file xyz, and then that's where the watch folder import would crash. It gave you a very nice clue as to what the problem is, and you could move/delete the problem file easily. Because it was a SEPARATE PROCESS the crash of the importer did NOT affect the main application process.  You may not be able to import all new content automatically, but at least you could continue to use the main application.

In this version (and perhaps a few previous versions??),.. I don't know exactly where it changed. Rather than having the folder watcher / asset importer run in a SEPARATE PROCESS, it instead runs in the main application process, but in its own separate THREAD. I suspect with 64-bit binaries a decision was made to make this change. An uncaught exception in a THREAD will crash the entire process. So the process isolation is lost, which means if the import crashes, the entire application crashes. Additionally it no longer reports folder watch import progress on the status bar. Because of that I see no way to tell which of the import asset files is the one causing the problem.

I am a software developer. I don't know why the import crashes can not be CAUGHT and then handled gracefully. They may be so optimized that they do not employ programmatic exception handling. I suspect this is because of the technology or language the file importers are written in. There are still ways the software could be helpful here. For example... if before importing each file from watch folders, it would save the path of that file to a settings location. After successfully importing the file, then clear that settings location. If the program ever starts, and there is something in that settings location, the program could offer to AGAIN ATTEMPT THE LAST IMPORT OPERATION. If the user says yes, of course we are likely to see it crash again. If the user says no, then another option is presented. DO YOU WISH TO MOVE/RENAME/DELETE THE PROBLEM IMPORT FILE?  And regardless of that action, it would skip attempting to import the problem file again. This creates a scenario with a lot of bogus assets that it will pester the user to death as it starts up. But believe me, that is LESS irritating than having the program forever crashing shortly after startup.

This keeps us running. Avoids the mystic games we must play to keep it running. And provides some clarity to the crashes that is less than obvious now.

PLEASE GIVE A PRIORITY TO USABILITY IN THE LIBRARY UPDATE PLEASE! 

I don't clearly see your point. Are Watchfolders enabled in your system ?

•  10-28-2015, 20:05 692801 in reply to 692800

My comment starts with "this is what I have observed..." Please don't put your words in my mouth. I feel all my responses on this thread are respectful, civil, and not threatening. 

This is not new, and I am not the first to complain about it, and this is not the first time I have had to deal with it. 

The point is for PS to correct the application to tolerate bad assets in the watch folders. Now, when it crashes directly after startup, turning off watch folders is problematic. And even if you could, you don't know which asset file is causing the problem.

•  10-28-2015, 20:12 692802 in reply to 692801

Lee, I think you misread me.

My before last post was not an answer to your explanation but to Leo's one.

•  10-28-2015, 20:19 692803 in reply to 692802

Yes, you are right, and I see that now.

I'm not trying to vilify anyone, simply trying to provide constructive input, which I feel we all should.

•  10-28-2015, 20:26 692804 in reply to 692803

Ok, let's go back to your statement.

You say :

Lee Gillie:

I believe most if not all crashes are due to attempting import of problem asset files into the library. The files may be munged, or it may be PS doesn't like a variation or such. Regardless, it is not graceful... it crashes.

In some earlier versions the folder watcher / asset importer was a SEPARATE PROCESS from the main PS application. Yet, as it ran, you would see it's progress on the status bar of PS.

In this version (and perhaps a few previous versions??),.. I don't know exactly where it changed. Rather than having the folder watcher / asset importer run in a SEPARATE PROCESS, it instead runs in the main application process, but in its own separate THREAD.

Watchfolders being disabled by default, why would it crash because of importing files ?

What do you mean by earlier versions ? PS15 and prior or later ?

•  10-28-2015, 20:49 692808 in reply to 692804

It ran without issue for me initially until I turned the watch folder feature on. Once I turned it on, I could not get it turned back off. It would crash before I could get to the control panel. It was a long and painful process to get to a point where it could startup AND have watch folders enabled, and it did not crash. I am there, but it took some time. I doubt most users would be able to do this.

I can't help you with the version question. I did not purchase every major release increment. I have had watchfolder issues with every release I have purchased over the years. V19 is the first one I noticed where the main application does not survive import crashes. The import process ended in previous versions upon encountering a bad file, but the main application continued to run. 

•  10-28-2015, 20:50 692809 in reply to 692804

I have to disagree with Watchfolders. I have files that will not play in Pinnacle and get an error message upon them trying to get into a Watchfolder. I go to the log and see the files that Pinnacle can not ingest. That doesn't stop the program on my end. I can continue to edit if I want.

I test many types of files that Pinnacle does not like (for various reasons) for other users and have yet to have a crash from them. I place them all in the same Watchfolder, Problem Files. There are several files, for whatever reason, don't work in Pinnacle unless converted to something Pinnacle likes.

This is my experience with the current version of Watchfolders from PS17-19. Can't remember Avid Studio or PS16.....

•  10-28-2015, 21:05 692813 in reply to 692809

I find some give an error, and some crash. I have found in more recent versions of PS it is MORE likely to give an error than to crash, it is better, but I still see it. I think the worst are ContourHD camera MOV files that are truncated as the battery dies. I have a number of cameras using a variety of formats. I suspect the level of error toleration varies between formats.

I'm at work now, so I can't see all my PS and Avid Studio versions of the past. I seem to recall PS 10 or 12 being my first. I think I only bought one release of Avid Studio. Currently for NLE I use PS 19, Hitfilm 3 Pro, and Sony Vegas Pro 10.

•  11-18-2015, 20:15 694787 in reply to 692813

I have been running Studio from Version 7 with the odd crash, but Studio 19U take the prize.  Constant crashes.  As soon as the program starts, it crashes.  I even disable all start up and most services with msconfig so it loaded bare minimum and still crashes. After about 8 restarts, I finally got into the control panel to reset everything.  I wanted to do that since my watch folder and latest import was not updating.   After restart, I imported video again. Saved movie. CRASH.  Again, I can not start Studio 19U without crashing.   I just opened up Studio 18U and no issues and everything is running in the background...all services and antivirus.

I feel that I wasted money on 19U at this point.

I haven't tried to disable watch folders in previous versions yet, but to me, that does not make sense.

•  11-18-2015, 21:12 694789 in reply to 694787

I'm editing and have on the timeline 2 hours of 1080 footage. Editing right along. I also just finished an 8minute video with a LOT of FX and editing right along. In addition, I have Watchfolders because I like them and have used them in previous versions. 

All this to say that PS19, while not crash proof is not crashing on my computer like what you are posting. So, where do we go from here? My hardware is listed below and I am using Win7 Pro 64bit.

I edit with Firefox open (and about 12 tabs active) and maybe another NLE. Your hardware is more than up to the task, but wondering if you have Hardware Acceleration active....

•  11-19-2015, 15:53 694838 in reply to 694789

Tony P:

I'm editing and have on the timeline 2 hours of 1080 footage. Editing right along. I also just finished an 8minute video with a LOT of FX and editing right along. In addition, I have Watchfolders because I like them and have used them in previous versions. 

All this to say that PS19, while not crash proof is not crashing on my computer like what you are posting. So, where do we go from here? My hardware is listed below and I am using Win7 Pro 64bit.

I edit with Firefox open (and about 12 tabs active) and maybe another NLE. Your hardware is more than up to the task, but wondering if you have Hardware Acceleration active....

I just turned Hardware Acceleration off. From what I remember reading, I believe Cuda should be turned off. I believe I had it off before, but the reset put it back to default.   It actually started without crashing. I know it crashes occasionally, but other versions weren't like this.  I also want to reformat my computer and reinstall all software again to clean things up....just a lot of work. 

•  11-19-2015, 20:43 694866 in reply to 694838

I don't have Intel or Nvidia so.....

But try turning off all acceleration. No need to reformat your hard drive. It seems the longer I use the program... it gets more stable with the projects...

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy