Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS19U is running desperately slowly

Last post 10-31-2015, 17:10 by wescampbell. 250 replies.
Page 1 of 11 (251 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-01-2015, 23:41 689474

PS19U is running desperately slowly

Today, using PS19U, I compiled a short - 55sec - mp4 file from m2ts footage with 4 titles.  I wanted to see whether, for the sort of work I do, there was any speed advantage over PS18.  The good news is that the program did not crash as soon as I added the first title, something it invariably does with PS16 and 18, so that's that problem solved.  However, in trying to assemble the footage on the timeline it took forever to complete the simplest of tasks.  Putting anything onto a timeline, even a 4 second title, caused the programme to freeze for several seconds while it thought about what to do, and dragging the scrubber resulted in another long delay while it played 'catchup'.

This behaviour mirrors what Bob Keen noted when he said, in another thread: " ... the programme runs very slowly and constantly 'circles' during the most rudimentary of actions.   Also takes a while before the preview screen shows anything. Studio 18 was much faster. I cannot work with this program the way it is."  

Having created the short movie I then exported it to an Mpeg-4 HD720 file and it took 67 seconds to compile through PS19 but just 27 seconds with both PS16 and PS18.

When trying to work out what might be causing this I came across a Tools folder in Start menu>All Programs>Pinnacle Studio19 and, in here, is a programme called Nemocheck.  When I ran it, it did so very slowly then reported: "Your system will perfom best with SD (Standard Definition) video".  I then looked in the start menu for Nemocheck in my PS16 and PS18 installations, it was there in both folders and, when I ran it from these folders, it positively raced through its exercises and told me, in each case: "Your system is fast and will perform well with 1080p HD video."

What on earth has changed so drastically in PS19 to cause this slowdown?  I have no idea why it runs so slowly on my system, I'm not asking it to do anything complicated, my system is not what I would call underpowered and PS18 runs effortlessly on it.  PS19 behaves as though it's running on an old laptop with no grunt and if a solution cannot be found I will have no option but to ask for a refund because, sadly, this is unuseable as it stands. 

•  10-02-2015, 0:08 689475 in reply to 689474

Re: PS19U is running desperately slowly

paulcroft:

Today, using PS19U, I compiled a short - 55sec - mp4 file from m2ts footage with 4 titles.

Having created the short movie I then exported it to an Mpeg-4 HD720 file and it took 67 seconds to compile through PS19 but just 27 seconds with both PS16 and PS18.

What on earth has changed so drastically in PS19 to cause this slowdown?  I have no idea why it runs so slowly on my system, I'm not asking it to do anything complicated, my system is not what I would call underpowered and PS18 runs effortlessly on it.

I'm another longtime user of Pinnacle Studio from 14UC to 17U that I've been quite satisfied with for more than a year.  I stayed away from 18.xU while Corel would send almost daily emails almost giving me the product.  NOGO!  I was mildly thinking of jumping on 19U, but to wait for a 19.5U perhaps.

I hope Corel reads your post and get on with realizing while offering more features is ok, what is more important is SPEED and RELIABILTY, PERIOD!

NO WAY WILL I CONSIDER PURCHASING PS 19U even though I have 30 days to pull my hair out, burn the midnight oil.

Until speed issues are resolved it won't make it to my computer.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ira 

•  10-02-2015, 6:04 689480 in reply to 689474

Paul

I see no perfomance differences between S18 and 19. I run Intel HD graphics

What have you set as your hardware acceleration?

You must set it the Intel

What have you got in the way of a graphics card?

When did you last update your graphica drivers?  (sorry, they are in your sig)

Did you rum Nemocheck with Studio still open (in all cases)?

After installation did you wait for the Library to completely populate? Setting up My favorites can take quite a why, for example, and if you start you sing the program while this is going on you will get slow behavior. It may still be building thumbnails. Did you set watchfolders?

Open the task manager at the performance tab while you are experiencing this problems and sort the the columns by CPU use. What's using the resources?

•  10-02-2015, 7:08 689483 in reply to 689480

Hi jjn

I have the hardware acceleration set to Cuda in my PS18 installation but, when I ran tests some time back, I found it made little difference.  It's set to Cuda principally because I have a Cuda enabled graphics card.  Anyway, I've just set it to Intel and it's made no obvious difference.

Running Nemocheck with or without PS19 open makes no difference, it runs very slowly in both cases with the same result - which is wholly different to the result in PS18 when it flies through the check.

I didn't do this compilation until about 24 hours after the installation.  I wasn't waiting for the library to populate, it's just that other work got in the way but I don't set watchfolders and it wasn't building thumbnails when I did my tests.

NGStudio is the process occupying the cpus and if, e.g., I grab the slider and drag it right or left, the preview image freezes instead of fast forwarding through, then catches up a few seconds later.  If I use the jog wheel to fast forward or reverse I can see all 8 cpus go to close to 100% on the resource monitor.

I've just installed PS19 on my 5 year old desktop which also has PS16 and 18 on it and I'm seeing identical behaviour.

•  10-02-2015, 7:48 689487 in reply to 689483

This is strange. I would say it is hardware related except you now have it on another machine.

Nemocheck is a complete standalone program, not written by Pinnacle but way back by Avid. Although the version that is installed with S19 is a slightly later version, there is nothing that is inherent about the program that has anything to do with  the main body of PS19.

This sounds like something to do with the installation. Did you experience any issues when you did that?

One thing that I have seen with S19 is a process called Surrogate Com taking hold of my machine and causing Studio to slow down severely. If BGRender is still running (it can do so even with the program closed) that drags the whole computer down to a crawl. Do you see this process consuming CPU cycles?

This is the sort of thing the deveolpers might want to look at in detail with such a new release.

•  10-02-2015, 8:27 689491 in reply to 689483

paulcroft:

Hi jjn

I have the hardware acceleration set to Cuda in my PS18 installation but, when I ran tests some time back, I found it made little difference.  It's set to Cuda principally because I have a Cuda enabled graphics card.  Anyway, I've just set it to Intel and it's made no obvious difference.

Running Nemocheck with or without PS19 open makes no difference, it runs very slowly in both cases with the same result - which is wholly different to the result in PS18 when it flies through the check.

I didn't do this compilation until about 24 hours after the installation.  I wasn't waiting for the library to populate, it's just that other work got in the way but I don't set watchfolders and it wasn't building thumbnails when I did my tests.

NGStudio is the process occupying the cpus and if, e.g., I grab the slider and drag it right or left, the preview image freezes instead of fast forwarding through, then catches up a few seconds later.  If I use the jog wheel to fast forward or reverse I can see all 8 cpus go to close to 100% on the resource monitor.

I've just installed PS19 on my 5 year old desktop which also has PS16 and 18 on it and I'm seeing identical behaviour.

Exactly the same for me plus the corrupted graphics from the earlier version. There does seem to be something inherently wrong with this program. I have a fast computer and my settings are precisely the same as for Studio 18 which is much faster. I have also done a re-install which made no difference.

•  10-02-2015, 9:01 689496 in reply to 689491

Bob keen:

Exactly the same for me plus the corrupted graphics from the earlier version. There does seem to be something inherently wrong with this program. I have a fast computer and my settings are precisely the same as for Studio 18 which is much faster. I have also done a re-install which made no difference.

Bob -- your hardware is obviously more than powerful enough, so I'm wondering if there might be some hidden application, service, or driver in conflict w/PS19.

I suggest playing with msconfig.exe  -- its a simple non destructive way see if selectively loading apps & services etc possibly uncovers a problem  

•  10-02-2015, 9:42 689501 in reply to 689496

Hi BARYE. Not sure how to 'play with misconfig.exe', but I really should not have to anyway. Everything else runs perfectly well on my computer (along with Studio 18). There is clearly something not right with this new version.

I will install it on my other computer to see if it exhibits the same characteristics.

•  10-02-2015, 11:14 689509 in reply to 689487

jjn

The slow processing and apparent freezing does make this feel like a rendering issue but if, e.g., I drop a title on one of the tracks, BGRnd.exe does start to use cpu and the orange bar above turns to green but, once that stops, I still cannot move the scrubber for a few seconds and, if I hit the spacebar, same thing.  I've tried changing the render file location from disc 2 to disc 1 and also varied the playback optimisation and render while play settings to no effect.

I'm wondering if this is a graphic card issue.  I've just installed PS19 on my laptop.  It's not hugely powerful (a 3 year old Samsung 700z I use to demonstrate videos sometimes but rarely use for compiling) and I don't see these issues at all.  The laptop has an amd card and my two desktops have NVidia cards.

A good way of demonstrating the issue is this: Start a new movie, hit the 'T' button to drop a title on a track.  Normally the title editor opens quite quickly (about a second or so) and has some default text.  Now go to Motions>Enter and a 'strip' of actions opens and choose, e.g., Page Fade.  As the mouse hovers over the effect it should show you what the effect does almost instantaneously.  In PS19 it has just taken about 5 seconds to open the title editor, a further 9 seconds to demonstrate the effect, and about 15 seconds to fully render on the track before working effectively.

I don't see these delays on the laptop even though it is a lot less powerful than the desktop machines.

•  10-02-2015, 11:29 689511 in reply to 689509

My computer specs below. I just tried adding a title to the timeline following your "recipe". It worked as it does in PS18. Hover mouse over Motion and it displays right away.

But there are those moments when the program seems to be thinking about doing a task, and then does it. I am going to start monitoring the activity of the program when I edit. 

I like the new features.

•  10-02-2015, 11:34 689512 in reply to 689509

Yes Paul, that is exactly what happens with my system which uses dual NVidia cards. Have not yet had the opportunity of trying it on my other machine, although that to has an NVidia card (less powerful).
  •  10-02-2015, 11:45 689513 in reply to 689474

Attachment: NemoCheck.jpg

I have installed PS-19U and tested NemoCheck also with PS-18U.

•  10-02-2015, 12:24 689516 in reply to 689513

Once again a discrepancy between the two results for no obvious reason.  My knowledge is limited but I can think of no reason why there should be any difference.  At least it doesn't intimate you should stick to SD footage as mine does!
  •  10-02-2015, 12:26 689517 in reply to 689511

Tony P

I see you're not using NVidia ...

•  10-02-2015, 12:51 689519 in reply to 689517

No Nvidia or Intel here. The last Nvidia card I used was the ti4400. Going to Pinnacle way back when, ATI was the card of choice. The same with Liquid. I haven't had a problem with AMD cards in ages.

So, there is no hardware acceleration and most of the rendering is handled by the CPU. This is one reason why I advocate OpenCL support for GPU rendering. Both companies support it. And while Pinnacle says it supports CUDA, I would like to see some results on it's usage. 

As for PS19 and it's slow starting (that is what it appears to me), I don't know if it's related to the UEIP gathering intel and sending it to Pinnacle or not. So, I am disabling it for the moment and crossing fingers...

•  10-02-2015, 13:04 689521 in reply to 689519

Since NVidia is a very popular card used by many, it ought not to be an impediment to using Studio 19. I would suggest that if that is the root cause of the problem, then it is Corel that should be looking to correct it.
  •  10-02-2015, 13:13 689523 in reply to 689521

I don't know what the root cause is, but agree if it is a Corel problem, they should patch it up. I am only relating my experiences on my computer.
  •  10-02-2015, 13:28 689525 in reply to 689523

Tony P:
    I don't know what the root cause is, but agree if it is a Corel problem, they should patch it up. I am only relating my experiences on my computer.

Yes Tony, you seem always to be the lucky one. Whenever some of us have experienced problem in the past, you have not. Good luck to you.

•  10-02-2015, 13:30 689526 in reply to 689523

Tony

Just out of interest, if you run Nemocheck does it gives a different result depending whether you run it from the PS18 or PS19 start menu?

•  10-02-2015, 13:39 689527 in reply to 689526

@Bob, I don't know if it's luck or being a computer tech for years building, servicing and maintaining computers. I do have problems, but manage to solve them for the most part. It also can be the length of most of my projects, under 10 minutes. But they usually are pretty complex, at least for me.

@Paul, I ran Nemocheck and I get 1080P in both PS18 and PS19. It doesn't matter if PS19 is open or closed. Others have had different results depending on which version they tried.

•  10-02-2015, 14:17 689531 in reply to 689527

Attachment: PS18_vs_PS19.jpg

My results are the same as minDVD:

There is a new driver update from nvidia, 355.98. I'm at 355.60. Seems unlikely that would make a difference, but will check later.

Joe

•  10-02-2015, 14:33 689533 in reply to 689531

For the Nvidia card lover in you........ GTX 970 Disaster

•  10-02-2015, 14:44 689534 in reply to 689474

Having the exact same problems with slowness ans problems shown above.  Earlier versions of PS and other video on editing software packages run without hesitating.  I also get varying results using Nemo.exe

Intel i5 processor
    16 gig ram
    GeForce GT 740 w/4 gig
    2 sdd
    All drivers are up to date. 

•  10-02-2015, 14:53 689535 in reply to 689534

It is clear that this needs reporting to Corel. Has anyone done so?
  •  10-02-2015, 15:20 689537 in reply to 689535

Bob keen:
    It is clear that this needs reporting to Corel. Has anyone done so?
    Yes. 
Page 1 of 11 (251 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy