Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle products and Windows 10

Last post 12-31-2015, 20:41 by mdx2. 21 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-06-2015, 0:31 683972

Pinnacle products and Windows 10

Just finished a clean install of Windows 10 Upgrade (32 bit OS on my laptop) and these are the results I got:

Pinnacle Studio Quickstart is compatible with Windows 10 but had minor hiccups but installation was a success including the patch. The only problem is that I cannot make it to work in full screen, but still can edit in it.

Pinnacle Studio 9, 9 Plus, 10 and 11 are not compatible with Windows 10

Pinnacle Studio 12U (with patch), 14U and 15U are compatible with Windows 10 including Scorefitter.

Had to install manually Quicktime since Quickstart and S12 uses it for smartsounds 

No tests done yet. 

•  08-07-2015, 13:41 684073 in reply to 683972

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Thanks for the info, Ramon. Good jobYesSmile
  •  08-07-2015, 23:03 684101 in reply to 684073

PS18, PS17 and PS16 may be added to the list.

Avid Studio, I don't know yet.

•  08-07-2015, 23:33 684104 in reply to 684073

Hi, you both helped me considerably when I had a new computer built 18 months ago to a much higher spec and transferred my S12 Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional from XP. There were lots of problems before I got it to work and I do have some issues occasionally now, but. I've now been offered the free upgrade to W10 and wondered if this was practical?

I also have a disk for S15 HD which came with a later purchase of Studio MovieBox HD but I remember Pinhead said that they changed Studio's operating system after S12, so I'm not using it. Alternatively I have considered taking the whole plunge and going for an S18.5 upgrade. Any advice woulkd be appreciated. Kind regards - MIKE

•  08-08-2015, 6:45 684108 in reply to 684101

saby:

PS18, PS17 and PS16 may be added to the list.

Avid Studio, I don't know yet.

I will test it at a later time but will list it in its proper forum. Thanks saby for your help. 

•  08-08-2015, 6:47 684109 in reply to 684104

VideoMike123:

Hi, you both helped me considerably when I had a new computer built 18 months ago to a much higher spec and transferred my S12 Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional from XP. There were lots of problems before I got it to work and I do have some issues occasionally now, but. I've now been offered the free upgrade to W10 and wondered if this was practical?

I also have a disk for S15 HD which came with a later purchase of Studio MovieBox HD but I remember Pinhead said that they changed Studio's operating system after S12, so I'm not using it. Alternatively I have considered taking the whole plunge and going for an S18.5 upgrade. Any advice woulkd be appreciated. Kind regards - MIKE

You can partition your hard drive and have all OS in one computer. That's the way I have my desktop and I edit my videos using XP except for S18 which I use W7. 

•  08-08-2015, 9:21 684127 in reply to 684109

How do you find S18?

And is XP still better for editing whith S12, rather than W7, as I'm trying? I have to admit that I do still have problems with it.

Finally, what about S15?

•  08-08-2015, 10:22 684130 in reply to 684104

VideoMike123:

1) I have S12 Ultimate  & S17 Plus on W7. Neither are my Main Editing Program which is a 3D Animation Film-making Program. I use them for that Program's Post Production. They both work perfectly with W7.

2) Don't Upgrade to W10.  It has a lot of problems. MS Support are overwhelmed with solving those. W7 is supported until 2020. W10 isn't Video Editing friendly. You would need to learn a new OS.

3) It depends upon your Video Source for S12. S12 handles HD Video but not AVCHD. S15's ok, but has a horrible Black User Interface, Like S14. I didn't upgrade to either. I only have S17 with black user Interface, because I won it in a Pinhead Community  Competition. S12 is the best & most stable of Studio Legacy Products. 

4) All Studio Legacy Products use the same Project File System. Apart from S7, 8 & 9.

5) Stick with S12 & Post any problems you have.

•  08-09-2015, 5:02 684195 in reply to 684127

VideoMike123:

And is XP still better for editing whith S12, rather than W7, as I'm trying? I have to admit that I do still have problems with it.

Finally, what about S15?

I like much better XP to edit my videos by using S12U. I barely use S14U just to do some minor motion titles on it. I don't use too much the internet with XP. S15 and earlier versions works better on XP than on newer versions of OS, but that is up to the person using it that decides on which OS he/she likes most for editing videos.

As per W7 I don't like to edit in it because it sometimes freezes a little bit when using S14 or previous versions on it (might be that my computer is kind of old).

•  08-09-2015, 5:05 684196 in reply to 683972

R_Vera:

Just finished a clean install of Windows 10 Upgrade (32 bit OS on my laptop) and these are the results I got:

Pinnacle Studio Quickstart is compatible with Windows 10 but had minor hiccups but installation was a success including the patch. The only problem is that I cannot make it to work in full screen, but still can edit in it.

Pinnacle Studio 9, 9 Plus, 10 and 11 are not compatible with Windows 10

Pinnacle Studio 12U (with patch), 14U and 15U are compatible with Windows 10 including Scorefitter.

Had to install manually Quicktime since Quickstart and S12 uses it for smartsounds 

No tests done yet. 

UPDATE: I just installed W10 on my desktop and got the same results as above except for:

I can put Studio Quickstart in full view and Quicktime was installed.

No patch installed on S12U.

No further testings done as of now.

•  08-12-2015, 9:21 684459 in reply to 684196

Here I am again with my final results and this is what I got:

After testing everything possible in my Desktop (Dell XPS600) I finally gave up on Pinnacle Studio OS. I decided to remove them from my desktop due to I was having plenty of driver errors in it and some transitions did not work properly at all in Pinnacle Studio 12 and 14. One of the main reasons I believe it is was that I installed the video update that really worked on my Nvidia GT220 card but Windows 10 automatically downloads the latest drivers and I have no choice on how to stop it. The only winner that really worked for me without any problems (except for the drivers) was Pinnacle Quickstart, which all transitions did work properly.

As for my Laptop (Dell XPS M1530) I am also getting the same issues as above. Programs will be removed and no further tests will continue.

As of today all of my tests for my desktop and laptop with Pinnacle Studio 15 and earlier versions are terminated. I don't know if you all might have the same problems or not.

My final reviews: Pinnacle Studio 15 and earlier versions are not compatible with Windows 10

P.S.: Do not remove your old OS from your computer. You will sure need it in case of emergency. I would recommend you to upgrade to Windows 10 in January 2016 to see if many of the bugs it has are resolved. 

•  08-13-2015, 2:13 684509 in reply to 684459

R_Vera:

Here I am again with my final results and this is what I got:

After testing everything possible in my Desktop (Dell XPS600) I finally gave up on Pinnacle Studio OS. I decided to remove them from my desktop due to I was having plenty of driver errors in it and some transitions did not work properly at all in Pinnacle Studio 12 and 14. One of the main reasons I believe it is was that I installed the video update that really worked on my Nvidia GT220 card but Windows 10 automatically downloads the latest drivers and I have no choice on how to stop it. The only winner that really worked for me without any problems (except for the drivers) was Pinnacle Quickstart, which all transitions did work properly.

As for my Laptop (Dell XPS M1530) I am also getting the same issues as above. Programs will be removed and no further tests will continue.

As of today all of my tests for my desktop and laptop with Pinnacle Studio 15 and earlier versions are terminated. I don't know if you all might have the same problems or not.

My final reviews: Pinnacle Studio 15 and earlier versions are not compatible with Windows 10

P.S.: Do not remove your old OS from your computer. You will sure need it in case of emergency. I would recommend you to upgrade to Windows 10 in January 2016 to see if many of the bugs it has are resolved. 

I will try to install this programs again sometime in early 2016 to see if anything has changed by then. 

•  08-14-2015, 23:25 684646 in reply to 684509

R_Vera:
    ...I believe it is was that I installed the video update that really worked on my Nvidia GT220 card but Windows 10 automatically downloads the latest drivers and I have no choice on how to stop it.
    That issue with the transitions in PS12/14/15 is a Pinnacle vs. Nvidia issue, not specifically the OS; the same thing happens under Windows 8.1. Using an Nvidia driver later than 320.49 breaks some of the 2D transitions and all of the Alpha Magic. However the earlier (working) driver cannot be used in Windows 8.1 or 10, even if there was a way to stop Windows Update from "ramming the latest driver down your throat" Sad

FWIW I just upgraded the desktop PC I use mostly as a DVD "compiling engine" with PS14UC / PS18U - PC had a fairly tidy instal;lation of Windows 8.1 Pro and I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, keeping all user files and apps.

• PS12 Ultimate (with 12.21 patch) - starts OK and can open and preview projects - only issue observed so far is with the 2D and Alpha Magic transitions - exactly the same problem existed under Windows 8.1.
    • PS14 Ultimate Collection - starts OK and can open and preview projects; also has same issue with the 2D and Alpha Magic transitions
    • Avid Studio 1.1 - with registry hack to make it launch under Windows 8.1 - appears to be working normally under Windows 10; everything that was in the library is sill there and can load and preview the sample movie.
    • PS16.1 (with Windows 8.1 patch from Pinnacle/Corel knowledge base) - also appears to be working normally from the brief tests I did
    • PS18.6 64 bit - also appears to be working normally from the brief tests I did

When exiting Studio, I have had a pop-up from the Windows program compatibility assistant; I presume that some compatibility settings were applied to Studio during the Windows 10 upgrade, and the program compatibility assistant is just being "annoying" and asking me if the program ran OK...

So, looks like a Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade is much less painful than going from Windows 7 to 10.

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-22-2015, 3:41 692125 in reply to 683972

Well, its been a few months since I made some tests by using Windows 10 and I decided to make it again. I am using an old computer (XPS 600 with 2 Gb of Ram).

I installed Pinnacle Studio Quickstart and just had a few minor issues but ignored them and seems to be working fine. All transitions do work well with the new Nvidia patch. I have not done some tests yet but believe it should work. No patch installed yet for this program.

Pinnacle Studio 9, 9 Plus, 10 and 11 are not compatible with Windows 10.

Studio 12U did install maybe with a few errors but it installed well. Some transitions don't work due to the Nvidia update.

Studio 14U did also installed well without any problems and believe Studio 15U should work as well (except for some transitions).

Made some captures by using an old camcorder (Panasonic AGDVC60) by using the firewire port and the camera was detected. Used Studio 12 (without patch) and as soon as I clicked on start capture, I was amazed that the video started capturing quickly. When I finished capturing and clicked on the edit tab, Studio 12 took too long to respond and wanted to crash, but it did managed to get into the edit mode within a minute or so. Tried again capturing another tape and still got the same results. I will make some more capturing tomorrow but I now installed the 12.1 patch to see what results I may get.

Also did a capture by using Studio 14U. First time I clicked on capture it did not responded and returned me back to normal edit. Tried again and it worked well without any problems. When I clicked on the edit tab, it took a few long seconds to get into the edit mode.

No other tests done due to I have to force stop the automatic updates and install the Nvidia patch that really works with the transitions, but that might be a few days from now.

I have not yet installed Avid Studio up to Studio 18, but will be done later on in a different forum. 

Windows 10 still has some bugs that needs to be fixed. I have two optical drives but only one shows up in my computer. Let's see what Microsoft updates are done by January 2016.

•  10-22-2015, 22:41 692290 in reply to 692125

UPDATE:

Installed Studio 12 patch (12.1) on Windows 10 to see if any changes occurred. First two hours of capturing went well, when all of a sudden Studio 12 started crashing and also Windows 10 did not respond at all. I had to force shut it off to make it to work. I had captured a one hour mini dv video (studio 12)  and timer stopped at 1 min 25 sec and video continued playing. After video ended got an error message that part 3 of my video could not be opened by studio or anywhere else. Had to delete that part and re-captured it again in Windows XP. Removed Studio 12.1 patch and will try again later on on testing Studio 12.

Other (your) computer may vary on the results I got and may work differently than mine. 

Seems Studio 12 might have some issues with Windows 10. 

•  10-23-2015, 6:55 692299 in reply to 692290

Thank you very much Ramon for all your tests and reports.

I've decided to edit its title + pin it.

•  11-10-2015, 13:07 693986 in reply to 684104

Hi,

Is W10 already running with S12 U and what is your experience of this conbination ?

Kind regards,

Leo

•  11-24-2015, 6:55 695397 in reply to 683972

Re: Pinnacle products and Windows 10

The new update for Nvidia this month (11-10-2015, update 341.92) seems to have solve the transitions problems with Pinnacle Studio 15 and previous versions on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10. There are no Nvidia updates anymore for Windows XP.

I have not yet made any video editings on Windows 10 due to my busy schedule. I will keep you posted on any problems I may encounter or maybe someone else might post a problem or a success.

•  11-24-2015, 6:57 695398 in reply to 693986

Leodepejo:

Hi,

Is W10 already running with S12 U and what is your experience of this conbination ?

Kind regards,

Leo

I have not yet done any editings with Studio 12U on Windows 10 lately due to my busy schedule. I have made one brief editing with Studio 14U and seems to be working fine but not completely sure yet.

•  12-30-2015, 21:41 700384 in reply to 683972

I had S15U installed with W7 OS and then upgraded (if you call it that) to W10 and I received the following message. "The Operating System has been upgraded after Pinnacle Studio has been installed. Some or all of the programs’ features may not operate correctly. We recommend that you re-install the software." So I un-installed the re-installed and I still get the same message when S15U is loading. Will that cause me problems later?

•  12-30-2015, 22:06 700386 in reply to 700384

Check all of your transitions to see if they are working properly. Some of them may not work due to the Nvidia updates (if you have one installed).

I had some crashes on my Pinnacle Studio 14U while editing. I then ran it as "run as administrator" and seemed to do the job well. Some computers may vary.

•  12-31-2015, 20:41 700447 in reply to 700386

I don't have Nvidia my system info is in my profile and the video I had been working on had no transitions, I'll try that on the next project.

But I had a project about 48 minutes long that I started before the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 in S15U and was able to finish editing with some titles and creating menus then rendering to a file and then successfully burning to DVD.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy