Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Capturing video in Mpeg-2 or DV in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

Last post 05-14-2015, 12:02 by loosecannon. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-14-2015, 4:21 675240

Capturing video in Mpeg-2 or DV in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

I have some vhs tapes that I would like to color correct in Adobe Premiere Pro Cs5.  I'm capturing my video with Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14.  Since I'm editing the vhs video in Adobe Premiere, I would like to know if it is wise to capture the video in DV instead of Mpeg-2.  I'm just learning the ins and out of video editing and color correction in Adobe Premiere Pro.  Thanks.

•  05-14-2015, 5:21 675241 in reply to 675240

Re: Capturing video in Mpeg-2 or DV in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

DV = (un)compressed data ---> large file ---> best quality

Mpeg = more compressed data ---> small file ---> poor quality

So I suggest first import small clips in both formats to compare what matches your preferences.

•  05-14-2015, 7:03 675244 in reply to 675241

I'd better say :

DV is lesser compressed than usual Mpeg2. Typically DV's bitrate is 25 Mbps and Mpeg2's bitrate used during capturing in PS14 is maximum 8 Mbps.

But Mpeg2 compression is much more effective than DV. Given the same level of bitrate, visual quality produced by Mpeg2 is better than DV.

I think you should follow manganio1's advise : compare them and make your own decision.

•  05-14-2015, 12:02 675255 in reply to 675240

Attachment: Ppro capture DV.JPG

For editing purposes DV is your best option because each frame contains virtually all the info for that frame. Makes it easier for editing in Studio, and any other NLE for that matter. Mpeg-2 is best for final output since no further editing will be done. With vhs being as low quality as it is you want to capture as much data as possible and mpeg-2 will toss out some of that precious video data and you will never recover it in editing.

Also, why are you capturing with Studio when, last time I checked, PPro CS5 can also capture your vhs tapes in DV format?

Joe

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy