Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

How do you get a shape outline without the background?

Last post 02-18-2015, 22:50 by culpanr. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-18-2015, 17:32 665505

How do you get a shape outline without the background?

Hi,

I love Pinnacle, and I'm sure you guys do too! I'm really enjoying being a part of such a great community, and watching various YouTube videos (yes, including PinnacleStudioPro) have really helped. I'm glad that this forum exists, and I'm a brand new member. So; hi. 

I'm looking at getting a rectangle outline to go around some text. How do I achieve this?! 

It seems pretty simple, but.... Embarrassed 

•  02-18-2015, 17:57 665510 in reply to 665505

Re:How do you get a shape outline without the background?

Hi and welcome in this forum.

Using Wingdings font in titler like explained in this tuto.

•  02-18-2015, 18:16 665515 in reply to 665510

Re: Re:How do you get a shape outline without the background?

Hiya Saby, 

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a little baffled, I want an actual shape, rather than a shape font, if you know what I mean. I'm looking at getting the outline of a rectangle shape. 

•  02-18-2015, 18:25 665517 in reply to 665515

Like this ?

•  02-18-2015, 18:47 665528 in reply to 665517

Yeah! Exactly like that :)
  •  02-18-2015, 18:50 665529 in reply to 665528

Guess what ? I used the method (Wingdings font) described in the tuto mentionned above. Big Smile
  •  02-18-2015, 19:20 665532 in reply to 665529

Oh. I thought there was a way you could remove the background of a shape, no? 
  •  02-18-2015, 22:50 665571 in reply to 665532

hardlytheexpert:
    Oh. I thought there was a way you could remove the background of a shape, no? 
    No, that is something that is lacking in the title editor; as it is, it cannot draw any kind of "frame" object having a solid border and a transparent centre. It can create objects having a solid coloured centre + a different coloured edge, however make the centre ("face" look) transparent or semi-transparent and the "edge" look shows through.

So, to create the framed text, where the background of the frame is transparent, IMO you have three methods

• Use the method in the tutorial, where you use a "symbol" font having a character you can use as the frame; increase the point size and stretch/squash it to get the "frame" the shape/size you need.
    • Use a photo editor (such as GIMP) that can create graphics having transparency; draw the wanted "frame" in that photo editor and save as a .PNG or .TGA with the transparency information in the alpha channel. Import that and use as a shape layer in the title editor.
    • Use a different, third-party, title editor! Devil

Seriously, though - currently, the only "plug in" alternative to Studio 18's title editor is Heroglyph (pricey if you haven't already got an older version to upgrade from), but if you do have any other video editing program, even a "free" one that came bundleed with your PC, it may be worth considering using that program to create short video clips containing the "awkward" titles that Studio's title editor cannot create, and import those files into Studio...).

Regards,
    Richard

Edit: Just thought of another potential "solution"...

Draw a rectangle shape and place behind the text; make the "face" look 100% green (or 100% blue - choose a colour that is very different from anything else in the title) and the "edge" look the wanted colour (e.g. white) - increase the edge size above 100% to make it the desired thickness. Save the title back onto the timeline and then open it in the effects editor - apply the chromakey effect to make that 100% green or blue become transparent!

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy