Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Stabilize settings and best add-on stabilizer

Last post 05-22-2014, 7:23 by JSA. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-21-2014, 12:48 633058

Stabilize settings and best add-on stabilizer

I am a new user and I  am having difficulty getting the stabilize settings figured out.  The user manual is of little help.  Also, I understand you can add outside stabilizers to 17, but don't see how, or what the best ones are.

•  05-21-2014, 13:32 633062 in reply to 633058

Re:Stabilize settings and best add-on stabilizer

I'm only answering your second question : the only outside stabilizer you can add in Studio is Mercalli from proDAD.
  •  05-21-2014, 15:24 633067 in reply to 633062

Re: Re:Stabilize settings and best add-on stabilizer

saby:
    I'm only answering your second question : the only outside stabilizer you can add in Studio is Mercalli from proDAD.
    Just to be clear - it is my understanding that Mercalli 3 is a standalone product and does not currently have a plug-in version for Studio.  In other words, you have to edit the video outside of Studio and then import the corrected clip back into S17.  ProDad still has Mercalli V.2 available as a plug-in for all (fairly recent) Studio products.  Once installed, it acts as an additional effect in the Effects editor.  It is very expensive for a one-trick pony, but fortunately I bought it several years ago when it was offered for a much more reasonable introductory price.  It is a terrific stabilizing tool. 
  •  05-21-2014, 15:46 633068 in reply to 633067

Yes, you're right.
  •  05-21-2014, 15:55 633069 in reply to 633067

And to partially answer your first question, a stabilizer reduces the size of the video within the visible frame.  It can do this either by creating a black border around the video to maintain the original size of the subject in the video, or it can zoom in and fill the full frame.  It then works its magic by keeping the object of the video steady in the center of the frame.  The controls in the S17 stabilizer allow you to set whether or not to have a black border around the video, or whether it will zoom in to fill the frame.  The more you zoom in, the lower the quality of the resulting video since you are losing resolution and increasing the pixel size.  However, in theory, the more you zoom in, the steadier the video will be.
  •  05-22-2014, 7:23 633110 in reply to 633069

Thank you for the answer about Mercalli.  So what exactly does 'Auto Zoom Frames' and 'Max Auto Zoom' mean? I do wish Mercalli was a little less pricey.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy