Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Buying HD Camcorder

Last post 01-18-2014, 22:01 by mktobeta. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-15-2014, 14:09 620242

Buying HD Camcorder

Hello fellow users. I have been shooting / editing standard def 4:3 video for so long that I am totally naive to the world of HD and I need some advice about how Studio will work with my (soon to purchase) new camcorder. I am using Studio v12. I am going to purchase a Sony HDR CX 230.

1. I know that I can't make HD DVD's, but can I make them SD 16:9 to play full-screen (no pillars or letterboxes) on my Bluray?

2. If I import files from my HD camcorder's SD card, edit the project, make a file, then export that file to an SD card, will that file still be HD (1080I?) I could use the camcorder to play it on my TV via an HDMI. The types of files I can make (from the "make file" dropdown list) are AVI, DivX, Flash, Mov, MPEG 1-2-4, Windows Media, and 3GP. Will any of these result in an HD file?

Thanks in advance for any help!

•  01-15-2014, 15:24 620250 in reply to 620242

Re: Buying HD Camcorder

1. I don't have S12 but normally you can export about 35 minutes of HD to a DVD disc using the AVCHD preset. The resulting disc can only be played on a blu-ray player. All HD is 16:9.

2. I doubt that your camcorder will play media that is on the SD card from another source.

•  01-15-2014, 16:19 620265 in reply to 620250

•  01-15-2014, 18:01 620289 in reply to 620265

gjslaw:

No, it isn't Greg Smile

Look at the OP's

•  01-16-2014, 3:45 620328 in reply to 620242

Betreft: Buying HD Camcorder

I had a similar  problem one year ago. I bought an AVCHD camera and I did a few projects with S12. It is possible to export files in high resolution MPEG2 format, but not in AVCHD format, so the files became very big. So, I bought a cheap second hand S15, from someone who never opened the kit. S15 supports output AVCHD file output. (I heard that S16 is very different from S12, whereas S15 has essentially the same user interface.)

I was only a bit disappointed that the rendering of high resolution output did not became faster in S15. I expected a smart rendering (as I was used to for DVD quality MPEG2), but it seems that AVCHD is too complex for smart rendering.

•  01-16-2014, 4:57 620335 in reply to 620328

Re: Betreft: Buying HD Camcorder

F.Zwarts:
    it seems that AVCHD is too complex for smart rendering.
    Studio 17 is attempting to implement Smart render for AVCHD/H.264. They aren't there yet. Other NLEs offer it, although I'm not sure how successful they all are. If I was making an important project, I wouldn't trust smartrender to get it right.
  •  01-16-2014, 15:34 620391 in reply to 620289

David Hunt:

gjslaw:

No, it isn't Greg Smile

Look at the OP's

EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Well, they do seem to be somewhat related topics.

•  01-17-2014, 15:22 620516 in reply to 620391

Thanks for the replies. Some of that is over my head, but that's my fault for asking too many questions in one post. Mainly, what I need to know is if I can import from an SD card, edit, and make movie onto a DVD, and have it remain HD thru the entire process USING STUDIO 12. (The list of files that my version can make is in my first post, and AVCHD is NOT one of them.) If "No" then are there upgrade options for me without having to purchase a new version of Studio? Thanks!
  •  01-17-2014, 15:57 620525 in reply to 620516

A standard DVD does not contain HD video.  You have to create a disc that can play on a Blu-ray player to do that.  S12.1 will do that either by creating a Blu-ray disc with a Blu-ray burner OR using a regular DVD burner to create what is called an AVCHD disc.  The AVCHD disc is full HD but must be played on a Blu-ray player.

If you don't have the capability to create an AVCHD disc, it is either because your version of S12 was one of the lower editions (I forget how they were designated), or possibly you have not applied the 12.1 patch.  My copy of Studio 12.1 Ultimate allows the burning of AVCHD discs.

As far as upgrades go, you probably have the opportunity to upgrade for $40 off the current price of S17.  But you need to know what you are getting into before doing that.  S17 is a completely different program.  If you want to stick with the old style Studio program, you are probably better off finding an older version on eBay.

•  01-18-2014, 22:01 620670 in reply to 620525

1. Yes, you can take an AVCHD HD file and then burn to DVD as SD with 16x9 screen format. But that will be SD and it will be far lower quality than HD.

2. You can take your AVCHD HD file, edit, and then "Make Movie" to a file of multiple formats, then copy to an SD card. However, if your Sony camcorder can play that back is uncertain. The only way to know for sure is to try the different formats to see which ones your camera can play. In theory it should work, but sometimes cameras can be picky about the format they understand (depends on the codec used in the camera). Yes, they will be in HD format depending on what you select during Make Move. Some will be higher quality and higher bit rate than others. There are several components to HD - 720P 1080i, etc. and then the bits-per-second. The higher you go, the better the quality usually is. But it all starts from the highest quality selection to record you choose on your camera.

Now the big question is how can you output an edited movie to play in HD? In the post above, you can edit and then burn to a DVD using AVCHD, but this will require a Blu-ray player and will limit the length of your video - 30-35 minutes max.

The jump to Blu-ray isn't too costly now days. Burners have come down a lot in price, but Blu-ray players are very affordable. There are excellent players with smart features on sale often. Blank writable Blu-ray discs are also affordable.

With how much better the HD videos look in comparison to SD, I really wish today that I would have jumped to HD years earlier. The nice thing was that I bought an HD camcorder but still produced SD videos until the cost of Blu-ray burners and discs came down, and then all I had to do was to reburn the finished projects to Blu-ray discs.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy