Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Windows 8.1 trouble with Studio 15

Last post 10-31-2013, 13:45 by BARYE. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-18-2013, 4:24 607895

Windows 8.1 trouble with Studio 15

PS 15 does not any longer launch.

Its visible in task manager -- but no PS15 Windows open at all.

maybe a similar issue as PS16 -- but a search of the registry shows different keys.

VERY aggravating -- and a VERY serious issue 

I'd advise folks NOT to install the M$ Windows 8.1 corruption if they care about PS15

•  10-18-2013, 5:13 607902 in reply to 607895

Re: Windows 8.1 trouble with Studio 15

Added: 

I'm restoring my laptop to Win 8 -- what possible value is there to 8.1 if you can't use it for Pinnacle ???

•  10-18-2013, 16:05 608020 in reply to 607902

AW: Re: Windows 8.1 trouble with Studio 15

I ran the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant (you can download it from microsoft) under Windows 8.

It says that I have to deinstall Pinnacle Studio and reinstall it after I have installed Windows 8.1.

The same Problem I had when I installed the upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7. I reinstalled Studio and it worked.

•  10-18-2013, 16:12 608023 in reply to 608020

Re: AW: Re: Windows 8.1 trouble with Studio 15

rifr1:

I ran the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant (you can download it from microsoft) under Windows 8.

It says that I have to deinstall Pinnacle Studio and reinstall it after I have installed Windows 8.1.

The same Problem I had when I installed the upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7. I reinstalled Studio and it worked.

after finally reinstalling PS15 -- were you successful in getting it working under 8.1 ??

•  10-18-2013, 16:37 608029 in reply to 608023

I did not install Windows 8.1 yet.

But the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant says definitely that I have to deinstall and reinstall Studio. So try this.

The same said the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant a year ago, so when I installed the upgrade from Windows 7 from Windows 8 last year I did the same. I deinstalled Studio before, the I reinstalled it and it worked.

•  10-18-2013, 16:42 608030 in reply to 608029

rifr1:

I did not install Windows 8.1 yet.

when you actually do, let us know what your results are (and anyone else who installs 8.1)

•  10-18-2013, 16:42 608031 in reply to 608029

(duplicate post)

•  10-29-2013, 0:18 609453 in reply to 608031

Barye:

Did you get PS-15 to work properly on Windows 8.1?

I have same problem.....

•  10-29-2013, 0:51 609455 in reply to 609453

No fidel47, BARYE has not.

And according to Jeff, the newly available PS16 patch is not applicable.

FWIW, I had a limited need for 8.1 in as much as I use ClassicShell -- and since it was a new laptop with little on it aside from PS15 and M$ Office, I just nuked it and reverted to Win 8 soon after this trouble arose. (I saw no need to tolerate the loss of a critical application for the update of a UI I really don't use).

In any event, that particular (Core i7) laptop has recently been passed on to staff for at least the next couple of weeks, so I can't do further testing for awhile.

•  10-29-2013, 4:37 609488 in reply to 609455

OK, let's keep the questions about S15 and W8.1 here now Smile

I've just installed S15 on a W8.1 machine without any issues -it's running now.

This machine never had 15 on it before, even before the 8.1 upgrade.

So what I suggest you do is:

• Try running a repair install
    • if that fails, try uninstalling, running a registry cleaner and then re-installing
    • If that fails, we need to look at the message and I can compare your registry keys to mine.
  •  10-29-2013, 5:45 609501 in reply to 609488

Amongst all the chatter here regarding S15 and Win 8.1, and elsewhere regarding S16 and Win 8.1,  I noticed that rifr1 had S14 Ultimate in his profile.   It was not immediately clear within this discussion which versions of PS would be affected.   Jeff has sensibly separated any talk of S16 and Win 8.1 from here, and the solution for S16 is on the other thread.

Having recently installed Win 8.1 I resolved my S16 issue by adhering to the advice elsewhere on this forum and applying the supplied fix. 

Today I attempted to launch S14 and was greeted with a Program Compatibility Dialog box informing me that 'This program needs to be reinstalled before it will work properly on this new version of Windows'.

Therefore it would appear that Win 8.1 has ramifications for versions of Studio older than S15/S16, and this may need to be made clear.

Setting aside any debate as to whether Win8.1 is a 'new version of Windows', it is becoming increasingly clear that there are compatibilty issues with multiple versions of PS.

I will reinstall S14 later today and report back. 

•  10-29-2013, 11:49 609594 in reply to 609455

BARYE:

Thank you for your response..

How do you reverted to W-8?.

I'm on the road and can't reinstall S-15 or anything else.. (Trying to open it  goes up to 52%)

•  10-29-2013, 12:15 609603 in reply to 609594

the laptop was a new Lenovo that ships with a hidden partition that contains a factory "default" image (as it was shipped).

Frustrated with 8.1, and having a laptop w/few applications installed -- it was simpler to nuke the "upgrade" than fiddle with troubleshooting the unexpected disruptions.

•  10-30-2013, 4:15 609728 in reply to 609488

FWIW, I am about to attempt installation of PS14 Ultimate on a newly-installed Windows 8.1 Pro setup (sorry, I haven't got any version of PS15)

That computer has an older Core 2 Quad Q9650, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT640 graphics, 256GB SSD for OS/applications and plenty of hard disk space (2x 3TB) for video files - and was recently completely wiped and Windows reinstalled - summary of steps below in case it's useful to anyone:

(a) PC started out with WinXP Home, but had got "untidy" over time
    (b) Used disk erase tools in Parted Magic to completely wipe all disks
    (c) Reinstalled absolute bare minimum of WinXP Home from original OEM CD; didn't bother to re-activate, nor did I install any patches, additional device drivers, applications etc.
    (d) Used a Windows 8.0 retail box ("upgrade froim a prior version of Windows" having both 32 buit and 64 bit install discs - I chose to go with 64 bit rather then 32 bit to upgrade) - PC had to be booted from the DVD as a within-OS upgrade from XP direct to Win8 isn't supported. Auto-activated Win8 as part of that installation.
    (e) Applied necessary device drivers, service patches etc. to the Win8 installation (Microsoft Update)
    (f) Applied 8.1 update (Windows Store)
    (g) Applied any available patches to Windows 8.1 (Microsoft Update)
    (h) Enabled support of .NET frameworks 2/3/3.5 (add & remove Windows features) as I know that some of the older applications I intend to try installing do need those older .NET versions (mostly .NET 3.0/3.5)
    (i) Ran disk cleanup to remove all temporary files, the files that the Win8 installation had saved from XP, etc.). The clean and complete installation (including the paging file) used about 18GB.

So, my starting point for PS14 (and 16) + other application installations is a "clean as possible" installation of Windows 8.1 that has never had those applications installed - so there are no legacy files, registry settings etc. lurking anywhere that could get in the way

I will post how I get on; if I encounter any issues (and can get around them) maybe these will be the same issues affecting PS15 and respond to the same workarounds...

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-30-2013, 4:55 609733 in reply to 609728

I will not post a long and tedious account of my exasperating day yesterday.   Suffice to say 'nothing is ever straightforward with PS'.    My attempts to re-install S14 all ended in failure.   There are plenty of other threads on here to bear testimony to the difficulties experienced in this endeavour.

I tried a 'repair' but was repeatedly asked for Disc:1.   My original S14 Ultimate disc was in my drive.     I then attempted a full install but got a message saying my activation code was invalid, despite it being entered from my retail box.   I therefore decided to uninstall.   I was greeted by a dialog box informing me that another version of Studio was installed and I couldn't uninstall.

All of this tends to get very confusing.   I finally decided to attempt a relaunch of S14 again, and ignored the Windows warning about 'the compatibility issue with Win 8.1'.   I spent the afternoon testing S14 to see if the software is still working properly under Win 8.1.   I have yet to come across any problems.

All this means is that I get a warning message when launching S14 under Win 8.1 which I close and ignore and hope for the best.   With S14 and S16 on my machine I guess I am being increasingly steered towards full adoption of S16 (which is now fixed by the patch).  All most of us want is a stable machine with few mysteries, but sometimes Studio products are a law unto themselves.

Amen 

•  10-30-2013, 5:25 609738 in reply to 609728

FWIW, M$ allows the clean install of Windows even with an upgrade disk.

I can't enumerate the steps, but they're available with a good Google.  I've done it many times.

Maybe its superstition, maybe its pure paranoia -- but I never do OS "upgrades". 

Months ago -- after a badly written 32bit Win 8 OS USB boot (thumb) drive creation tool corrupted the 64bit system on which it was being built -- a senior M$ tech -- having spent days vainly trying to repair the system, pleaded with me to authorize him to do an "upgrade" repair.

I insisted that I would only do a wipe / clean install when they could not undo their screw up -- and that they send me replacement retail OS disks, M$ Office etc. (even though I didn't need them).

System stability is everything on an NLE PC.  

(the tale is told at greater length here).

•  10-30-2013, 7:31 609752 in reply to 607895

•  10-30-2013, 8:25 609760 in reply to 609738

BARYE:
    FWIW, M$ allows the clean install of Windows even with an upgrade disk.
    Doing the minimal reinstall of WinXP was necessary to work around a known defect (or intentional obstacle) in the installers on the upgrade discs I have

i. If doing a clean install by booting from the DVD when there is abolutely nothing from the old Windows version already on the disk, the Windows 8 installation will proceed, but it fails to activate
    ii. With the version of Win8 upgrade install discs I have, apparently you can work around the activation failure just be reinstalling Win8 again over the top of itself!
    iii. But I chose to start with the original WinXP as it left less junk on the disk that I had to find and delete after finishing the installation of Win8.

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-30-2013, 8:57 609770 in reply to 609752

R_Vera:

Hi,

This is a thread started by Barye regarding the Win 8.1 impact on S15.   That is a situation which I agree is unfortunate and annoying.   I joined in because S14 has been affected - at least Windows tells me it has, though I have ignored the message and run it regardless.   The fix you have highlighted is for S16 and Jeff rightly pointed posters to the other forum for advice on that.

Regards

Henry 

•  10-30-2013, 14:20 609839 in reply to 609770

Same problem a few hours ago - another chapter in a frustrating story. Bought new HD camera and found Studio 9 would not work. Bought 15 as 16 not compatable with XP. Then found desk top 'not powerful' enough to cope. Purchased top spec laptop running Windows 8 - all well. Downloaded 8.1 and 15 refused to open. Found a 'compatability program  hidden away in the equivalent of 'control panel' of XP and ran it. Program now worked but got the message to re-install as "some features might not be available". Decided to ignore and so far have not found any missing features so will soldier on until (hopefully) corel provides a patch.
  •  10-30-2013, 14:39 609844 in reply to 609839

Similar to my experience with S14.   Neither of us need hold our breath waiting for a patch though.

Going to have to fully concentrate on S16 from now on.   Would never have thought Corel were in cahoots with M$

I still need to keep abreast of S14 because my Dad uses it.   S16 would be a bridge too far for him.

The only side effect I noticed with S14 after installing Win 8.1 (apart from the warning message which I ignore) is that I needed to re-link all of my assets for the projects I had going.   I was greeted with timelines full of exclamation marks so worked my way through them to  get back to where I was. 

•  10-30-2013, 20:02 609883 in reply to 609728

Update:

PS14 Ultimate Collection + most content installed successfully and PS14 starts up with no errors and from what I've looked at so far appears to be running OK under Windows 8.1 without having to use any manual compatibility mode tweaks.

• No errors of any kind encountered during installation of PS14 itself + the Ultimate Collection plugins (Red Giant)
    • The following content installed without errors from its CDs: Scorefitter volumes 1/2, Creative Pack 1/2, Winter Pack, TitleExtreme (including Heroglyph v2)
    • The following content installed successfully with workarounds: HFX volumes 1/2/3 (CDs installed OK but the effects cache wasn't initialised properly; I had to locate and manually delete the cache files, then re-launch PS14 as an Administrator so it could re-create the cache). RTFX volume 2 - old CD from days of Studio 10 is not Vista/Win7/Win8 aware; files have to be copied from the CD to hard disk and installer run as an administrator  and in compatibility mode for WinXP SP2.
    • The following did not install and required a cheat: Premium Packs 1/2. The installers just reported that a compatible version of Studio could not be found. No improvement from running in compatibility mode. Cheated and got the content working by instead installing from the Studio 11 Bonus DVD, then manually copying the two required Pixie files from a working installation in order to unlock the packs.

Still to do: Test hardware capture devices (Firewire, 700-USB), install one or two third-party plugins, try editing a project and exporting it to assess performance/stability.

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-31-2013, 6:34 609964 in reply to 609883

To summarise then Richard, by starting with OS that had no trace of S14, bringing it up to W8.1 spec and then installing S14, you have no issues (so far)?

I think the reason for the S16 patch is because you are prevented from re-installing S16 on W8.1 without first cleaning up the registry because of some changes to the .NET framework by Microsoft.

I've looked in my w8.1 (with S15 running fine) registry for a similar key to the one altered in the S16 patch and can't find it for S15. I'd like to hear from someone who has:

• Had S15/14 installed successfully on a W8 machine.
    • Upgraded to W8.1 via the Windows Store.
    • Got an error message when try to run S15.
    • Completely uninstalled S15/14 and all it's components.
    • Use a registry cleaner to remove all references to S15 (or possibly use the S14 regdelete tool) Regdelete
    • And then reinstalled S15/14.

Does it then work like mine - you don't need to set any compatibility modes or ignore error messages?

If this works, then this is doing what Microsoft recommend and getting round the problem that S15/14  doesn't clean up it's registry properly when you uninstall it (something Pinnacle have been guilty of for many years). It seems to me that all the S16 patch for W8.1 is doing is avoiding to to have to use a 3rd party tool to clean the registry. If there were no references top S16, you wouldn't need to patch them.

•  10-31-2013, 7:57 609987 in reply to 609964

jjn:
    ...by starting with OS that had no trace of S14, bringing it up to W8.1 spec and then installing S14, you have no issues (so far)?
    Almost - I had minor issues but have worked around and so far PS14 (from what little I have looked at) seems to be behaving normally. Boring details below Wink

• No issues so far with PS14 installation
    • On first run, the effects cache was not properly populated (some category headings (especially for HollywoodFX packs) missing); I had to manually delete the effects cache files and then launch PS14 as an administrator so it could create some missing XML files under C:\Program Files(x86)\Pinnacle
    • After correction of the effects cache, launch and operation appears completely normal (no error messages shown). I haven't yet tried any editing more sophisticated than throwing a few clips from OurNatureAdventure into a project and checking it plays OK in the preview. All premium content I have installed directly (or with the aid of the "content transfer wizard") does appear to be present in the album and activated (no unexpected padlocks/treasure-chests).
    • Of the two issues I found with content installers:
      i. RTFX volume 2 - I needed to use exactly the same install method in Windows 7 as the old disc is not aware of anything later than WinXP so needs to run in compatibility mode and as an administrator in order to write into the Program Files folder.
      ii. Premium Pack 1 & 2 installers just wouldn't "play ball" under Win8.1 (but were OK the last time I attempted to install that content under Windows 7). Despite running the installers in compatibility mode and/or as an administrator and trying both options (prepare to install prior content from PS10 or PS11), the premium pack installers always reported that a compatible version of Studio could not be found! Don't know whether this was because of compatibility issues with Windows 8 / 8.1 or due to the fact that I've only installed PS14 and not bothered with PS12 as I have no need for that on this PC.

I will try a more involved edit, try creating a DVD etc. to get a fuller idea of how well PS14 works under Win8.1. But I do suspect, as you do, that junk in the registry could be fouling up PS14/15 when they are removed and reinstalled after the Win8 to 8.1 upgrade (and with a totally chean Windows installation I had no such junk).

Regards,
    Richard

•  10-31-2013, 8:21 609996 in reply to 609987

I'm not a huge user of extra material/content - it's not the sort of editing I do - but I think that all the stuff you are having problems with not part of the top level of S14 but additional purchases or from earlier versions?
Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy