Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

New c: drive - Pixie Tool question

Last post 11-21-2013, 3:54 by colour. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-31-2013, 5:12 609945

New c: drive - Pixie Tool question

Hi team, it's been a while since I've visited 

I am planning on replacing my c: drive and am making preparations for the reinstallation of all my software, including Pinnacle Studio 12.

I seem to recall something about using the Pixie Tool to make the transfer go smoothly.  I have searched the forum for "Pixie Tool" and haven't found anything so far to make it clear on what I need to do.

So any advice / instructions on how to go about a smooth transfer and how to use the Pixie Tool (and where to find it) will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Dazza
  •  10-31-2013, 6:14 609957 in reply to 609945

Re: New c: drive - Pixie Tool question

Attachment: Untitled.jpg

G'day, Dazza

Welcome-back.Smile

You''ve been sorely-missed. Stick-around Wink

See my Screenshot for Pixie Folder Directory File Path, with W7.

Copy your Existing Pixie Folder & Paste it to somewhere safe until you install your new HDD & Reinstall S12. 

When S12's reinstalled, Copy the saved Pixie Folder into the same Directory, when Windows will prompt you that Pixie Folder already exists - Do you want to replace it. Yes. 

Pixie Folder  is the first Folder that Studio Program Copies to Studio Temp Folder when Installing Studio. It ultimately contains all Studio Product Registration details, Serial Numbers, Activation Keys etc.. So you need to Replace the new empty Pixie Folder  with your previous Versions Pixie Folder that contains that information. It saves having to re-Activate etc,  previously purchased Content .

BTW - I've jumped-ship & 3D Animation Film Production is my hobby now, using Studio for Post Production Editing rather than  Editing Recorded Video.

Screenshot:

•  10-31-2013, 6:38 609965 in reply to 609957

Thanks Colour 

That's pretty straight forward then.  I'm still using Windows XP atm, but might look at setting up a dual boot with XP and W7.  (I realize XP support will be ending soon).

I have located the Pixie Folder and have saved it.

btw, a friend put me on to a useful tool called "Everything" which allows for super fast searching of, well, everything.  It's great for finding duplicates as well, when freeing up space.  I used "Everything" to quickly find the Pixie folder.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers 

•  11-06-2013, 15:24 611145 in reply to 609945

I'm making slow progress and encountered a few problems, including trying to find a download of Windows XP SP2 (I have SP3 but need to install SP2 before SP3).

Also, so far, when I try to install Google Chrome or IE8, the installations fail at the run stage ("could not access something-or-other")

The other problem I have and am hoping someone might be able to help me with is that my 3.5 GB of RAM (actually 4GB physical Ram - 2 x 2GB sticks) is only being read as 2.87GB now.  I had this problem when I initially upgraded my RAM by adding an extra 2GB stick.  I thought the solution last time was by resetting the BIOS (remove battery and use reset jumper), but I tried this again and it made no difference, so maybe it wasn't resetting the BIOS that fixed it last time, and was something else.

I still have my existing install of Windows XP on my old drive (which I am running on again now), but as I say, my RAM is now 2.87 GB instead of 3.5 GB (even with this hard drive install).

I did upgrade my BIOS from 0503 to 0602 a couple of days ago.  I'm not sure exactly when I lost the extra RAM.

So if anyone knows what I need to do to get WinXP to see up to 3.5BG (I know it won't see up to 4gb), please let me know  
  •  11-06-2013, 15:41 611149 in reply to 611145

Hi Dazza, welcome back.

I know things take a long time to reach you down there but there is a new operating system just come out called Windows 7 64bit. With that you will be able to see all your ram and quite a bit more should you buy it.

I would suggest running the memory diabnostics to check if all the memory is working.

•  11-06-2013, 17:08 611163 in reply to 611145

Hello Dazza Gee,

Try here for the SP2 download. which might be found here too.

For your IE8 to be installed in your XP program, you first need to install the SP3 update.

About your RAM, maybe one of them is already going bad. Check this video which explains to you step by step on how to check your RAM on your computer. You can also check alll his videos on computer updates and/or repairs too.

You can partition your old computer with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows XP, You need to first install Windows 7 to make the partitions. Make sure you have enough disc space on your c drive, since you may use a lot of GB's when installing your program(s).

•  11-06-2013, 17:51 611167 in reply to 611149

Yes, but will this new Windows 7 64 bit run on my 386?  
  •  11-06-2013, 18:01 611168 in reply to 611163

Thank you R_Vera.  As I understand it, those links are for other types of service packs (eg Networking etc), and I have already tried to locate SP2 via the Microsoft website.  I think they have removed such support since Vista and Windows 7 & 8.

I can also partition any drive using disc management in Windows XP (and have previously done so).

I believe the RAM is fine.  I had this same problem when I first installed the additional 2GB of RAM.  I just can't remember exactly how I resolved it.  I think it has to do with the BIOS.
  •  11-06-2013, 22:24 611172 in reply to 611168

As it turns out, it looks like I was talking nonsense about my RAM having reduced.   After much searching and trying to recall where I had found the solution, I finally tracked down an old email I had sent to the trader I bought the extra RAM from after I had found the solution.

I told him " I reset the BIOS by turning off the power, removing the button battery and shifting the jumpers on the CMOS pins to reset. I fitted the second stick of RAM, shifted the jumper back, installed battery, powered up. The computer booted up straight away, and I had to reset the date and time. "System" is now displaying 2.87GB of RAM (I knew it wouldn't see 4GB). "

The initial problem was in fact that the computer would not boot with the second stick of RAM installed, until after I reset the BIOS.

I am used to looking at the Page File Usage in my Task Manager, which is often up at around 3.5 GB.  It has probably been a while since I actually checked the amount of RAM displayed under 'System' info, and when I saw it displayed as 'only' 2.87 GB I incorrectly thought that I had lost some available RAM.

Obviously from the email message I sent the RAM supplier, 2.87 GB was the most that was ever displayed in my System info.

I'm going to blame my confusion on me going cross-eyed   and getting very tired   with setting up XP on my new drive.  It hasn't gone smoothly and it took several attempts for me to get XP to install on the drive at all.

Also, I have managed to locate a saved copy of SP2 hidden away in a long forgotten folder on my computer.

A friend recommended a small software program called "Everything" that locates, well, "everything"!  It is very helpful for finding any file at all in super fast time.  Also very helpful for locating duplicate files in order to save space.  I highly recommend it.

Now I can try installing SP2 and then SP3 on my new drive.

And yes, Windows 7 is sounding better all the time!    

Will PS12 work ok on Window 7?  This is the reason I want to retain XP, because my PS12 works very well on XP on this computer.

•  11-06-2013, 23:31 611173 in reply to 611172

Will PS12 work ok on Window 7?

I just finished installing Studio 12 in my W7 Desktop and everything went smoothly during installation. I had used it before on W7 but I had noticed a few hiccups here and there with Studio 12 on W7. I think it may be corrected by installing the Studio 12 Patch, but I will try it first without the patch to see what problems I may encounter with S12. I will also install Studio 14 tomorrow. I have not yet downloaded the latest patches for the NET Frameworks cause I think they may cause some problems too (but not completely sure).

I still have all my Studio programs installed in XP as a backup.

•  11-07-2013, 3:45 611193 in reply to 611173

R_Vera:

Will PS12 work ok on Window 7?

I just finished installing Studio 12 in my W7 Desktop and everything went smoothly during installation. I had used it before on W7 but I had noticed a few hiccups here and there with Studio 12 on W7. I think it may be corrected by installing the Studio 12 Patch, but I will try it first without the patch to see what problems I may encounter with S12. I will also install Studio 14 tomorrow. I have not yet downloaded the latest patches for the NET Frameworks cause I think they may cause some problems too (but not completely sure).

I still have all my Studio programs installed in XP as a backup.

..................and - S12.0 working ok here with W7, Dazza.Smile

I don't have or need S12.1 Patch for my particular Workflow. Apart from which, applying the Patch screwed-up Premium content for very many Users, including me. eg; HFX Vols 1 & 2 & proDAD's Heroglyph & Adorage Plugins.

•  11-20-2013, 4:47 612966 in reply to 611193

All has gone well with my reinstallation of Win XP and Studio 12 on my new hard drive.  I did have to install the S12 patch though because Studio wasn't displaying correctly with elements (buttons etc) missing.  It seems to be ok now with the patch.

I also re-added all the other goodies that I discovered through this forum, including my old SmartSounds (in addition to ScoreFitter), and JPs Effects etc.

An unexpected bonus is that my screen is now crystal clear and sharp like it never was before, even though the screen resolution is exactly the same.  I obviously didn't have the correct driver installed.

I also invested in a new CPU cooler, which has dropped my CPU temperature by an average of 8 degrees C.

I'm still looking at setting up Win7 as a dual boot.

Thanks again for the help  
  •  11-21-2013, 3:53 613110 in reply to 612966

Dazza Gee:
    All has gone well with my reinstallation of Win XP and Studio 12 on my new hard drive.  I did have to install the S12 patch though because Studio wasn't displaying correctly with elements (buttons etc) missing.  It seems to be ok now with the patch.

I also re-added all the other goodies that I discovered through this forum, including my old SmartSounds (in addition to ScoreFitter), and JPs Effects etc.

An unexpected bonus is that my screen is now crystal clear and sharp like it never was before, even though the screen resolution is exactly the same.  I obviously didn't have the correct driver installed.

I also invested in a new CPU cooler, which has dropped my CPU temperature by an average of 8 degrees C.

Way to go, Dazza Smile

BTW - The All Blacks only just got their revenge for last year's defeat. We'll get ours in NZ next year Big Smile

•  11-21-2013, 3:54 613111 in reply to 612966

Dazza Gee:

Way to go, Dazza Smile

BTW - The All Blacks only just got their revenge for last year's defeat. We'll get ours in NZ next year Big Smile

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy