Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Timeline ruler freezes on one frame

Last post 11-04-2013, 6:11 by Bracuru. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-27-2013, 10:48 609174

Timeline ruler freezes on one frame

Hi all,

This is my first post despite I've edited in Ultimate Collection HD ver.14.0.0.7255 3 years and made around 30 videos and never faced such annoying problem. Hope somebody will help me with below. I searched the forum and couldn't find similar problem :

In the editing mode the timeline ruler freezes on one particular clip and I am not able to do anything with other clips on the timeline. Whatever clip I try to chose I ended up on the frozen clip. In the meantime I can use transitions, adding sound etc.

I spent at least 40hours to edit this video and I cannot proceed anymore. The video last 35mins and consists of 250 clips and all of them were rendered.

I would really appreciate any good advice!

My videos done so far here: https://vimeo.com/user587874/videos

I work on Windows 7 Pro, 64bit, 4GB RAM, Intel Core i3, M330 @ 2.13GHz

•  10-28-2013, 5:50 609274 in reply to 609174

Betreft: Timeline ruler freezes on one frame

I sometimes encounter a similar problem in Studio 15. When working in the timeline, I cannot move the ruler back past a certain clip. Also in the other views, it is impossible to view earlier clips. Although I can select clips further back, the ruler stays at the beginning of one clip and the preview is played always from that point. It happens only with large projects.

I found a work-around. If I insert a new clip somewhere in the beginning of my project and then remove it again, then the ruler moves back to the insertion point and I am able to use the ruler again in the normal way. Maybe this also works for you.

Another work-around, which does not always solve the problem for me, is to play backwards from the middle of the "frozen" clip.

•  10-28-2013, 15:11 609386 in reply to 609274

Re: Betreft: Timeline ruler freezes on one frame

Many thanks for your advices. Unfortunately both did not help Crying.
    Additionally I emptied the temporary files folder. Rendered the 35mins video again. Did not help at all. Once the project is re-opened I am able to move the ruler less than 10 times and it stacks at one clip and dosen't want to move at all.

I noticed as well that my procesor works like crazy once I open this project. It does not act the same with other projects. What I did wrong?!

Madness. I am close to cry or to kill my lap. It is so frustrating to realize that 40-50 hours were just wasted in front of a computer.

•  10-28-2013, 15:11 609390 in reply to 609274

Posted by mistake. Sorry!

•  10-28-2013, 15:12 609391 in reply to 609274

Posted by mistake. Sorry!
  •  10-28-2013, 19:44 609443 in reply to 609386

Bracuru:

Many thanks for your advices. Unfortunately both did not help Crying.
    Additionally I emptied the temporary files folder. Rendered the 35mins video again. Did not help at all. Once the project is re-opened I am able to move the ruler less than 10 times and it stacks at one clip and dosen't want to move at all.

I noticed as well that my procesor works like crazy once I open this project. It does not act the same with other projects. What I did wrong?!

Madness. I am close to cry or to kill my lap. It is so frustrating to realize that 40-50 hours were just wasted in front of a computer.

I noticed as well that my procesor works like crazy once I open this project. It does not act the same with other projects

Intel Core i3, M330 @ 2.13GHz

There's probably somethibg specific about this particular Project which your Your CPU can't handle. However you say;

The video last 35mins and consists of 250 clips and all of them were rendered.

Background Rendered? 

In any event, 250 Scenes in a 35 minute Clip is too many, IMO. Combining some of them "might" help

Your CPU is under-powered for Editing HD Video, but you seem to have succeeded so-far with your other Projects, judging from your Youtube Videos. Very good YesSmile

A Fragmented HDD & too many Auxilliary Files "Can" cause the symptoms you've described. & a fairly recent nVidia Video Card Driver Update.

1) Check your HDD for Fragmentation 

2) Go to; S14 File / Delete Auxiliary Files  for your current Project in the Following Pop-up.

3) Delete the "Hidden" Render Folder. How to do that with XP; HERE (The Link to my Tut for Vista / W7 is missing).

4) Post a Screenshot of your Timeline at the point where the Ruler sticks. How to do that; HERE.

Studio isn't my main Editor these days. I only use it for that Editor's Post production.

More Studio Users need to chip-in here, rather than just viewing the Thread.Indifferent

•  10-31-2013, 11:15 610025 in reply to 609443

Attachment: Untitled (Medium).jpg

Thanks for your trial.

HDD defragmented. Auxilliary Files emptied.

Hidden Render Folder - I cannot locate it on my C drive despite hidden files were shown. Tried to search such file in the browser - no results.

I found only such path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 14 which does not show any Render folder :(

BTW. If 250 clips in a 30mins video is too much then what is a point that Pinnacle produce any video editing software? An average clip is 7s long. It is boring to watch nowadays where most of viewers expect fast action and quick changing clips. I feel lost...

•  10-31-2013, 12:18 610034 in reply to 610025

Bracuru:

Thanks for your trial.

HDD defragmented. Auxilliary Files emptied.

Hidden Render Folder - I cannot locate it on my C drive despite hidden files were shown. Tried to search such file in the browser - no results.

I found only such path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 14 which does not show any Render folder :(

BTW. If 250 clips in a 30mins video is too much then what is a point that Pinnacle produce any video editing software? An average clip is 7s long. It is boring to watch nowadays where most of viewers expect fast action and quick changing clips. I feel lost...

Looks like your clips are from a GoPro Head Cam.

Forum Member & Moderator Jeff (jjn)  is a GoPro File Format expert . I'll send him a Private Message on your behalf, to see if he can help you-out.

ADDED - PM sent.

BTW - The number & length of Clips have no bearing upon the speed of the action in the resultant  Video. But they might when Editing on a IMO, marginal PC for Editing GoPro  Mp4 Files.

•  10-31-2013, 12:59 610046 in reply to 610025

This isn't something I've seen , but Peter asked me to comment.

Is there just one specific clip that is the problem? If you remove that clip does the problem disappear? Because if that is the case it's likely to be a corrupt section of the video and might need to be rendered out and re-included.

•  10-31-2013, 14:27 610068 in reply to 610046

JJN & Colour - guys many thanks for your involvement Yes 

My case appears to be unusual. I hoped it could be a pretty common problem with simple solution a kind of "click here, do this and enter - done".
    I am afraid that even with your kind help I will need to give up.

Re my Thailand movie - 40% of video coverage was done by GoPro 2. The rest by an ordinary HD Panasonic camera.

I cannot find any corrupted file. There are too many of files in this project. I used to find the corrupted ones but it was in 3-5 minute videos and they used to give different symptoms - easy to locate anyway.

In this case I need to give up to avoiding wasting of another precious time.

Cheerio   

•  11-01-2013, 5:35 610144 in reply to 610068

Bracuru:

JJN & Colour - guys many thanks for your involvement Yes 

My case appears to be unusual. I hoped it could be a pretty common problem with simple solution a kind of "click here, do this and enter - done".
    I am afraid that even with your kind help I will need to give up.

Re my Thailand movie - 40% of video coverage was done by GoPro 2. The rest by an ordinary HD Panasonic camera.

I cannot find any corrupted file. There are too many of files in this project. I used to find the corrupted ones but it was in 3-5 minute videos and they used to give different symptoms - easy to locate anyway.

In this case I need to give up to avoiding wasting of another precious time.

Cheerio   

Intel Core i3, M330 @ 2.13GHz
    &
    Your CPU is under-powered for Editing HD Video
    & possibly your Video Card, which would be a Mobile integrated within your PC's MOBO or possibly Intel CPU GPU 200 which is insufficient .. Studio works best with a Discrete PCI-e Slot Video Card with 1GB Dedicated VRAM

It doesn't meet Pinnacle's Recommended spec for Editing Standard Definition Video which is 2.4 GHz, which in practise should be considered the Minimum.

You'll have better luck if you Convert your Video files to DV-AVI or MPEG-2 beforehand, using a Free Video Conversion Program;  Any Video Converter
  •  11-04-2013, 6:11 610606 in reply to 610144

Many thanks again! I did not expect to much affords and I was wrong. Cheers!

Back to the main topic - YES, I managed to bypass the problem. After another hours I found that using CTRL+left arrow allowed me to "de-freeze" the clip!
    Do not ask if it would work in similar case in future. I was just lucky to strike the right combination.
    So my Thailand project 32mins is done.

Now I am going to search this good forum how to decompress the outcome which is 2,7GB fat (32mins in HD) without loosing HD quality too much.  

Colour and JJN - well done mates!

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy