Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 15 Transitions and nvidia updates

Last post 10-03-2015, 5:42 by DaringDramis. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-22-2013, 5:40 608517

Studio 15 Transitions and nvidia updates

Dear Everyone

I sent in a thread about my transitions not working about 2 weeks ago. I  found it was caused by the NVIDIA update 327.23.

I reinstalled the previous driver which was 320.18 and everything was back to normal.  This morning I had notification that another driver was waiting to be installed.

This was driver version  331.58. I have tried this latest driver and it is the same as the previous one  327.23 .

The transitions wont work. i.e. All of the alpha magic and some of the 2D transitions. I have rolled it back to 320.18 and all is well again.

Has any one else had this problem. I think nvidia are updating for gamers and are not particularly bothered about us

long suffering video editors who have enough problems with pinnacle without creating more. No more updating for me.

•  10-22-2013, 7:03 608525 in reply to 608517

Re: Studio 15 Transitions and nvidia updates

There is an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That is unless you know what is being fixed and whether it applies to you.

The release notes for 327.23 are http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/327.23/327.23-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

As you say, the updates usually apply mainly to games. However there have been other major changes such as Windows 8.1 and the Haswell 4000 series processors.

I have only glanced at it but it might be worth a read if you are using some of the newer technologies such as 3D or 4K.

BTW just had a look and I am still using 314.22

•  11-25-2013, 19:56 613781 in reply to 608517

I'm using Studio 12 and suddenly came across this exact problem today. Some 2d Standard transitions wouldn't work while some (a few) did and all my 500+ Alpha Magic transitions were broken.

Of course many of these I've never used and never will, but some are useful and it would be a shame to lose them. In fact... it would be down-right annoying!

It dawned on me after some time (and after re-installing S12 with no success) that earlier this week I'd allowed Windows 7 update to install the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I was able to use the driver "roll back" option in Win7 to go back to my previous version, this was quick and easy with no errors and the broken transitions are now working again.

"If it ain't broke etc" is a fair comment on this occasion but sometimes graphics cards HAVE to be updated. What then? I wonder if there is any workaround or a specific setting in the driver options that can keep the transitions working. It would be a great shame if bit by bit parts of old Studio versions became unusable not because of any Pinnacle faults or even system changes but because a 3rd party company moves the goal posts.

Mind you, while I say "old Studio versions", has anyone using S16 or S17 had this same problem? And why does it only effect some standard transitions and alpha magic? The files and scripts that I've looked at on my system connected with individual transitions are identical whether they work or not so it looks like something built into Studio or maybe the registry. But why would (for instance) standard transition Circle Wipe not work when Diamond Wipe does? or Horizontal Scan Wipe doesn't yet Vertical Scan Wipe does? Are we all seeing the same broken transitions or does it differ from user to user?

•  11-27-2013, 4:27 614002 in reply to 613781

has anyone using S16 or S17 had this same problem?

IMO with S16, yes. But not necessarily with Transitions.

That Windows Automatic nVidia Driver Update has also screwed-up the Editing per se function of another non-NLE Direct Input 3D Animation Program that I use; Reallusion's  iClone.., Although I have AMD/ATI Video card (I'm glad to say Wink )

Ie; That Driver Update is a Generic Problem affecting different Programs. Not just Studio.

•  11-27-2013, 12:39 614081 in reply to 614002

I'm glad that you realized that it was the nvidia drivers causing your problem. It wasn't the windows update that caused my problem, it was nvidia's own updates that caused the problem with the circular transitions also the rendering didn't work properly. The programme kept hanging and had to be rebooted.
  •  11-27-2013, 14:08 614101 in reply to 614081

Just to add some info. As I said above I updated to the latest nvidia driver (331.82 Nov 2013) via Windows update and this broke some 2d transitions and all Alpha Magic. After doing a driver "roll back" everything worked again.

I decide to try the new driver by getting it from the official nvidia support site. Big mistake! Not only did the Studio transitions fault return but the driver installation added all sorts of nvidia stuff to my system and services.

I rolled back again only to find this didn't uninstall all the extras. I had to uninstall them individually, not knowing what was needed and what could be gotten rid of. Seems I got away with it though as everything appears to be OK.

My working nvidia driver is from March 2013, version 9.18.13.1422 (shown as 314.22 on the file download). This appears to be the last version that worked with Studio transitions (I'm using Studio 12). 

There has been at least two other driver releases between this and the newest one. I see on some forum threads the same fault is mentioned alongside version 327.23 of the driver which I have never tried.

In short:

314.22 = Good

327.23 = Bad

331.65 = Bad

331.82 = Bad

If, as suggested in this thread, the new drivers are breaking lots of programs, not just Studio, then we can hope it will get fixed for future drivers. If it was only effecting old Studio transitions I doubt much would get done to help us. 
  •  11-27-2013, 16:20 614121 in reply to 614002

colour:
    That Driver Update is a Generic Problem affecting different Programs. Not just Studio.

Yep, no doubt about it. I see that people on PowerDirector forums are having similar issues and Cyberlink are telling them they are looking into it and advise to roll back while they do.

I guess that is what is needed, for the makers of the "broken" software to get nvidia moving rather than individual users.

Have Pinnacle/Avid said anything at all about this issue?

•  11-27-2013, 21:52 614132 in reply to 614121

Have Pinnacle/Avid said anything at all about this issue?

Pinnacle/Avid was acquired by Corel over a year-ago & No, although they would work with n'Vidia when Developing a new product, eg; S16/17. S15 is EOL.

FWIW - AMD /.ATI issued a Driver Update a couple of years-ago that caused similar problems.

You used to be able to Download just the Display Driver from ATI. Now you're forced into Downloading ATI Catylist via a Download Manager which "calls Home" & can't be Uninstalled without Uninstalling the Display DriverIndifferent. However & ironically Widows Update has only the Display Driver.

Think you're in control of what is & isn't installed on your PC? Think aqain Wink

•  11-28-2013, 16:49 614267 in reply to 614132

It puzzles me as to why this problem only partially breaks the transitions. Why do some still work? Is it the same transitions on everybody's installation or random transitions per user?

Like I said earlier, why (for instance) does the circle wipe not work yet the adjacent diamond wipe does? The horizontal lines wipe doesn't but virtical lines does [or vice versa]. What makes these seemingly similar effects differ so that some work and others don't? After all, these same standard 2d transitions have been in Studio since version 1 in 1999. Yes... I'm very old and have a long memory!

They fail to work in the preview when clicking on their icons and also when placed on the timeline and when rendered to a movie.

I've looked around the studio settings and files. I've fixed many a transitions in the past (especially HFX which I know are quite different) but this is beating me and I'm beating myself up over it! Not that a swirly 2d transition is a matter of life and death or anything!

Has anybody seen anything anywhere online that might suggest an option in the GPU driver settings that could chage this behaviour or on the PC itself that can get around this.

•  11-28-2013, 18:02 614272 in reply to 614267

Message to thirly

To see the original letter I sent in, go back to:

Pinnacle Studio Versions 15 and older:

Scroll down page to topics:

My original post is the 11th one down headed

Studio 15

By Denis Videoman1

I also mention circular transitions.

Best Wishes Denis 

•  11-28-2013, 18:18 614275 in reply to 614272

•  11-28-2013, 18:24 614276 in reply to 614275

Thanks jjn

I didn't know how to do that 

Best Wishes

•  11-28-2013, 20:05 614278 in reply to 614276

Thanks Denis, I've now read your other thread.

At first I though this fault was something to do with the rounded transitions but many of the straight ones also don't work - like almost all the "blinds" effects. Also the "clock" wipe works for me but not the very similar spirals. Does anyone know how the 2d transitions work? I mean, not a literal technical description of how they work but more generally! For instance, where are they located? All I can find are the files associated with their icons and album positions. Are they hard coded into Studio itself?

Then there's the Alpha Magic transitions, every one of them fails. This can't be anything to do with the shape of the actual transition. The Alpha Magic transitions are just greyscale shaded png files. the problem here is surely something imternal within Studio that is being broken by the driver update?

As I keep saying, I know these transitions are not essential and most of them are rubbish anyway! But there are one or two I use now and then (circle wipe being one) and I'm sure every user has one or two different ones that they use "now and then".  Funnily enough, the ones I use the most (dissolve, fade to black and all of the "slide" types) continued to work. Of course they are all working for me at the moment because I rolled back the driver but that is not a long term solution.

•  11-28-2013, 20:53 614279 in reply to 608517

I am currently running on the Nvidia update 310.90 and everything seems to be working great. If I install the latest updates for Nvidia my computer starts acting strange and just crashes constantly. I do download whatever new updates appear but just won't install them at all. I just keep them for safekeeping. I sometimes do install them but the nightmares begin and I just have to roll back to the previous update I had.

If you roll back on your nvidia update and have problems with the transitions I would recommend you to repair whatever version of Studio you have (including the Bonus DVD if installed). I don't have any problems at all with any transitions from Studio 9 Plus up to Studio 14 UC (Windows XP and Windows 7). I don't have Studio 9 Plus with W7.

•  11-28-2013, 21:18 614280 in reply to 614279

Just to let people know and hopefully save you time and heartache. One of the first things I did when I spotted the problem with the broken transitions was  to do a repair of Studio 12. When this didn't help I then did a full uninstall and reinstall, this also didn't make any difference. Then I came online and found this thread and did a driver roll back. I'm pretty sure that only rolling back to a known working driver will do the trick until nVidia realease a version that works for us - don't waste your time trying to repair Studio with the new driver installed. Of course they are never going to fix a fault that causes problems only to old software like Sudio 15 and older. Our only hope to get a fix is that the same problem is also causing other modern programs to break. The drivers are certainly causing problems for people on other video editing software but not with the same problem that we have here, so a fix for another program may not be a fix for us.

•  11-29-2013, 3:48 614296 in reply to 614278

thirly:

Thanks Denis, I've now read your other thread.

At first I though this fault was something to do with the rounded transitions but many of the straight ones also don't work - like almost all the "blinds" effects. Also the "clock" wipe works for me but not the very similar spirals. Does anyone know how the 2d transitions work? I mean, not a literal technical description of how they work but more generally! For instance, where are they located? All I can find are the files associated with their icons and album positions. Are they hard coded into Studio itself?

Then there's the Alpha Magic transitions, every one of them fails. This can't be anything to do with the shape of the actual transition. The Alpha Magic transitions are just greyscale shaded png files. the problem here is surely something imternal within Studio that is being broken by the driver update?

As I keep saying, I know these transitions are not essential and most of them are rubbish anyway! But there are one or two I use now and then (circle wipe being one) and I'm sure every user has one or two different ones that they use "now and then".  Funnily enough, the ones I use the most (dissolve, fade to black and all of the "slide" types) continued to work. Of course they are all working for me at the moment because I rolled back the driver but that is not a long term solution.

Are they hard coded into Studio itself?

IMO, Yes & would be included in Studio Program files. Not Content . However; Additional HFX Vols & RTFX Sound Effects etc are available for additional (Content) Purchase.

Then there's the Alpha Magic transitions, every one of them fails

Apart from the nVidia Driver Update, there was/is a bug since S10, where only Standard & Alpha Magic up-to Heart Transitions functioned correctly.

Apart from the usual Program Repair Fix, I think there was also a FAQ Fix at the time which would still be applicable. Likewise HFX Vols 1& 2 Transitions missing.

The above being said, there have been a number of variations as to which Transitions you have depends upon your Studio Program Installation History & special Deals applied at the time.

I have S12 & S16 (Completely different Program to previous Versions). S16 has a number of Bonus Content items that surprisingly are now also available in S12 & would also be in S14/15, because they're Content common to all Studio Versions. This Content would have needed to be Purchased separately as above, but now it's Free if you also have S16.Big Smile . 

I rely heavily on Sound Effects in another Program I use. I now have a lot more for Free, which I convert to WAV PCM Audio Files in S12 Big Smile

•  11-29-2013, 6:00 614310 in reply to 614296

After reading everyone else's problems with pinnacle over the years, I am beginning to wonder if all these hundreds of updates that are churned out almost every few days are causing more problems than they solve.

The original drivers that were working when the programmes were first developed must have worked then or the software would not have gone on sale if they didn't work.

If someone has a problem with this,that or the other not working, the first thing we are told is "Are your drivers up to date" so we willy nilly download the "latest drivers" and maybe cause even more problems than we had to begin with.

Happy editing everyone and merry Christmas to you all.

P. s.   The photograph on my avatar  is LAKE DIAZ at sunset. It is in Florida near Deland where we went visiting relatives last March. Its my favourite photograph.

•  11-29-2013, 6:21 614313 in reply to 614310

Denis Videoman1:

If someone has a problem with this,that or the other not working, the first thing we are told is "Are your drivers up to date" so we willy nilly download the "latest drivers" and maybe cause even more problems than we had to begin with.

I think that's an unfair statement. If you post "I've just installed this program and it won't work" then you will be advised to check you have the latest drivers. If you post "My program has stopped working correctly" then the first thing that I would ask would be if you had installed any updates recently.

If your questions are vague, you get vague answers Wink

•  11-29-2013, 9:06 614330 in reply to 614313

jjn, I think Denis was referring to the advice that the makers of software or drivers give out, rather than advice from forum members. We are always told to update to the latest drivers. Nearly all manuals or installation guides advise this, as do troubleshooting sections. For instance, the following comes from the Studio 15 user guide in the troubleshooting section...

"Ensure that all installed hardware is functioning normally with the latest drivers. In the case of a driver problem that you cannot resolve yourself, contact the device manufacturer for assistance".

Sadly, I doubt nVidia will help much if we tell them a 5 year old program suddenly stopped working properly. I'm pretty sure their advice would be to update the software to the latest version or contact the manufacturer for assistance"!!!  Smile

•  11-29-2013, 9:46 614333 in reply to 614330

Thank you Thirly for your input. Didn't mean to disrespect jjn who has helped me so much in the past.
  •  01-08-2014, 14:36 619507 in reply to 614333

Version 332.21 out today. Has anyone tried it yet?  Im still working with 320.18 . I'm not brave enough to try it yet in case I cant get the old one to work again.   Happy New Year and Happy editing.
  •  01-08-2014, 17:31 619514 in reply to 619507

I can't see why you would want to keep updating the driver when using S15 and a 400 series GPU.
  •  10-01-2015, 4:49 688354 in reply to 619514

Big Smile [:D] Re: Studio 15 Transitions and nvidia updates

Hi, I'm a newcomer in the forum, I know I'm bringing back an old thread on the top, but it was so helpful that I just want to thank you all!

I'm using Studio 12 since 2009, first with an AMD Athlon 2.66 Mhz dual core with an Nvidia GPU that I don't remember the model, under Windows Vista, and everything worked fine. Then I've changed my computer for a AMD Phenom 2.80 Mhz 6-cores with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 with Windows 7, and everything went fine as well.

Last winter, my GPU died and changed it for an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, a little bit lower than my previous GPU (1024 Mb of memory instead of 2048), but still largely over the recommended requirements. I've installed the latest drivers, but didn't started any projects since. I've started a new project about two weeks ago, and everything went wrong, I've encountered the very same issues you have previously described;

- Many 2D transitions were not working neither in preview nor in the timeline and when rendering a movie file. Someone talked about the circle wipe, a transition that I use very often, which wasn't working, but the very similar diamond wipe located just beside was working fine;

- Alpha Magic, Hollywood effects and other more sophisticated transitions were completely out;

- Most of the plugins were almost all out too.

Disabling hardware acceleration and full screen preview brought me back some of the functions but made some others to be out, and re-enabling these two options gave me the very inverted result. A big mess...

I've tried to repair Studio 12, reinstalled it fully and cleanly, tried compatibility utility of Windows, used GPU Tweak to change GPU's clock, disabled the antivirus, disabled the firewall, disabled Windows Defender, tried lower resolutions, tried just one screen instead of two, and even reinstalled Windows. Well, I've passed all the troubleshooting from the beginning to the end.

Before disabling myself, I was almost considering to change my computer and buy a new version of Studio, but I told myself that I would be plain stupid, it's impossible that there's no solution to the problem. So, I decided to come here as a last resort.

You were so right, that really was a driver issue; I've installed the 320.18 version of the Nvidia driver... Magic! Everything went back to normal at full strength! You can be sure that I've made a backup of the driver installation file, and it will be preciously conserved!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.18-whql-driver.html

Again, thanks to all of you, that was really helpful!

•  10-01-2015, 10:57 688394 in reply to 688354

I was one of the posters in this thread when it was first started and I later found a workaround for the driver problem but I forgot all about this thread and so never came back to it.

The workaround is exactly as you say DaringDramis. To get any broken transitions to work simply switch off Hardware Acceleration in Studio prefs and restart the program.

This allows you to work with the "broken" 2d transitions but a lot of othes (HFX in particular) will not render without hardware acceleration.

So, if I'm desperate to use the "broken" transitions I render those parts of the video with harware acceleration off and then bring the resulting footage back into the project with hardware acceleration switched back on so that all other transitions etc work again.

Don't forget to close Studio and load it back in to get the hardware acceleration on/off to work.

I have to update my nVidia drivers fairly regularly because I play a number of up to date, graphic intensive, games. My current driver is 355.98 (August 2015). This driver has the problem we are talking about and I suspect this will not now change in future. 

•  10-01-2015, 18:58 689441 in reply to 688394

thirly:

[...]

The workaround is exactly as you say DaringDramis. To get any broken transitions to work simply switch off Hardware Acceleration in Studio prefs and restart the program.

This allows you to work with the "broken" 2d transitions but a lot of othes (HFX in particular) will not render without hardware acceleration.

So, if I'm desperate to use the "broken" transitions I render those parts of the video with harware acceleration off and then bring the resulting footage back into the project with hardware acceleration switched back on so that all other transitions etc work again.

Don't forget to close Studio and load it back in to get the hardware acceleration on/off to work.

[...]

That is a solution, I've considered it... Open prefs, uncheck, close prefs, render, exit Studio, open Studio, open prefs, check, close prefs... A good thing to hang myself from a rope. Angry

thirly:

I have to update my nVidia drivers fairly regularly because I play a number of up to date, graphic intensive, games.

That's for sure, you have no choice, you have to use the latest driver for intensive gaming. The solution you have mentioned above is probably the fastest for you, instead of installing the older driver every time you want to work with Studio, and then reupdate the driver for your gaming. In my case, I only play retrogaming with emulators, which are not much demanding from my GPU; the "new" old driver I've installed fulfills all my needs.

thirly:

My current driver is 355.98 (August 2015). This driver has the problem we are talking about and I suspect this will not now change in future.  

I agree with you, Nvidia will not make any effort to make an old application to work again.

Here's solutions I've thought about :

- Install another hard disk drive in the computer's belly, boot your computer with the Windows installation disk, partition the new drive into another bootable drive, then install Windows on it to be used with old applications and drivers. You'll just have to be careful to not create a new partition on your current up-to-date disk, or data will be lost! You will be able to choose which system you want at startup with the boot manager, the up-to-date one or the retro one. You will be also have more freedom to disable things that Windows loads into the memory in that second system drive, as you won't encounter administrative issues; less programs and services loaded in memory means higher performances. Your up-to-date drive will remain intact. The downside is that if you want to switch from up-to-date to retro, you'll have to restart the computer.

- Create another bootable partition on your current drive with a partition manager application. The rest is as the solution above. Must be careful of how large will be the second partition, and warning of loss of data if you do it wrong.

- For the next one, I'm not sure if it would work. Under Windows, create a user account reserved for older applications; that user will be able to install its own applications, as well as make its own settings for the computer. Also, you will be able to switch from one user to another without restarting the computer. However, I'm not sure the user can install and use different drivers of the administrator. It's to be experimented, but it would be the simpliest way to have best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy