Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Can liquid 7 run on windows 7?

Last post 02-03-2014, 4:37 by david@dvc.uk.com. 49 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (50 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-04-2013, 17:25 587412

Can liquid 7 run on windows 7?

Just wondering if it is possible to run Liquid 7 on the windows 7 os

Cheers

Lixdexik

•  04-04-2013, 17:58 587420 in reply to 587412

Re:Can liquid 7 run on windows 7?

Moved from the Pinnacle Studio forum.
  •  04-04-2013, 18:10 587421 in reply to 587420

Re: Re:Can liquid 7 run on windows 7?

Liquid does not run correctly on Windows 7. There are known issues with the colorcorrection editor and making DVD's. There may also be other issues. Not recommended. Also, if you have the PRO BOB, there are no 64-bit drivers for that device. There is a sticky in the forum on how to best setup Liquid with Windows 7, but again, you will probably run into issues for which there are no solutions.
  •  04-05-2013, 4:09 587456 in reply to 587421

So looks like I need to keep my XP machine running for a long time yet, not that that's a bad thing,

but one day it's gonna crash for good. Sound card went yesterday, analogue capture card's gone too (not that I need that any more)

it's starting to creek a bit.Sad

Cheers Colin.

•  04-05-2013, 7:50 587514 in reply to 587456

Might be time to look for another editing application. If you want something that is very much like Liquid, take a look at Grass Valley Edius. There is a discounted crossgrade for Liquid users.
  •  08-14-2013, 18:58 601871 in reply to 587514

Hi guys...  Good to see there's still life in the old forum. 

Recently took the crossgrade to Edius 6.5 and was really pleased.  It behaved nicely with several 'Must Have' third party apps and I though I'd found the Holy Grail replacement for my Liquid 7.  I then received the notice that the upgrade to Edius 7 was a freebee and went for it.  Edius 7 is not friendly with the third party apps and I'm disappointed.  Hopefully they'll get it up to speed soon.

I'm still using Liquid and have evolved from XP to Windows 7 and now on Win8.  No problems and it works well for me.

Anyhow... good to see the bright shiny faces and again, Lew, thanks for all you've contributed over the years.

Later,

Andy

•  08-14-2013, 20:24 601875 in reply to 601871

Edius 7 is a 64-bit application and will not work with your old 32-bit plugins. First check to see if any of those plugins are available in 64-bit format and what the upgrade cost is. To be honest, I would have stuck with 6.5 for the moment unless there was some feature you had to have in Ver. 7. The main advantage of 7 is it works with hardware other than Grass Valley. If you are not using any hardware cards, I would go back to 6.5 for the moment. I also would have stuck with Win 7. Just my opinion. I am still on Edius 6.08 and don't really see any need to upgrade yet. I too have lots of plugins I don't want to lose or pay to replace.
  •  08-15-2013, 7:41 601929 in reply to 601875

EDIUS biggest problems appear to be on Windows 8 - most of the plug-ins work on Windows 7.  The biggest bug is probably the fact it wont encode VBR Mpeg properly right now which I don't think will be fixed for a few weeks.

Andy - you said you got Liquid working properly under Windows 7 and 8 (if I read it correctly).  I got most of it to work but not the advanced colour correction (So long ago that I used it I forgot the proper name!). Do you manage to get that working?  Just curious...

•  08-16-2013, 23:40 602097 in reply to 601929

Suspected problems would come using XP as patform so invested in a back up machine to run Liquid Edition and even bought another windows xp licence just in case. It sits there unused for the time being.

So interested to see that windows 7 May extend life of LE for editing without resorting to edius. 

There are alternatives to using the BOB but to give up the plug ins and colour correction would be a serious loss. Just one question. Is it impossible to get 32bit parts now?

•  08-18-2013, 10:30 602255 in reply to 602097

When you say "can you get 32bit parts" do you mean is it possible to rung Windows XP on the current motherboards?  If so the answer is that it depends on the hardware.  I have installed XP on some Haswell motherboards and apart from the fact that the computer no longer sees all the ram or uses the multicore processor properly (as you would expect)  USB3 sockets either do not work or work at USB2 speed, and some of the other newer stuff like Thunderbolt will not work at all.  Intel graphic card drivers installed eventually, but less functionality than Windows 7.

If just buying a new motherbord to update an old PC then check out the manufacturers site for Windows XP drivers.

If you want a laptop, forget it.  Most I have tried don't have Windows XP drivers or even drivers you can "force" in.  So you suddenly have to live with out Internet and Wireless and a few other things. 

•  08-19-2013, 17:11 602375 in reply to 602255

Man I can't believe I can still get in here and that I remembered by old PinnacleSys log-in!  I have been using Liquid Edition 6.xx forever and my 13-yr old WinXP machine is under hospice care I think.  I really need an alternative that isn't going to cost me another $1000... yeah that's what it was back in the late 1990s.

Somehow I never heard of Liquid 7, and I didn't know Liquid came back here some years after AVID took over Pinnacle. But I'm glad to learn that now.  So who can tell me what I need to know about getting a modern day Win8 computer and running something that I will enjoy and be as good at as Liquid.

Is there anyone around who remembers old GoofyTimL anyway?

•  08-19-2013, 18:16 602377 in reply to 602375

I remember you Tim. I highly recommend you take a look at Grass Valley's Edius. The current version will run under Win 8 and there is an inexpensive crossgrade offer from Grass Valley for Liquid users (any version). The nice thing about Edius is that it will run on almost any computer so go to Costco or some other store and buy the best Intel I7 computer you can afford. Onboard Intel graphics are fine (even preferred as that will activate Quicksync which makes rendering the newer H-264 codecs much faster.) The only thing you will have to add is a second drive for your media to get the best performance.

In terms of learning curve, Edius has many similarities to Liquid. A somewhat similar interface, ability to make DVD's (and blurays) from the timeline, built in exporter, etc. It is a very nice NLE.

There are free tutorials you can download from the Grass Valley site to give you an idea of how it works. Most Liquid users get up to speed very fast and if you look at the Grass Valley Edius forum, you will see lots of old Liquid users there (including me).

I highly recommend you purchase Edius from Gary at Videoguys. He will walk you through the crossgrade process. Take a look at the Videoguys website for more info and then give Gary a call.

Hope this helps.

•  08-19-2013, 23:18 602381 in reply to 602377

Hi Tim.

Its hard to resist not checking back here from time to time..I moved to MC awhile back, although recently have been looking at the other options. As Lew says, Edius is a good one. I have also taken a second look at Vegas Pro. This Vid clip http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro12introwebinar  (watch all of it) kind of gave me insight as to how it works. At first glance it looks clunky, maybe because its different. By the end of the vid, much more friendly. Both apps make excellent use of reasonable hardware.

•  08-19-2013, 23:32 602383 in reply to 602377

Thanks to you both.  As far as new computer with an "extra" hard drive... my old hospice machine has five or six drives (several of which have failed and been replaced over the years and years).  I have something like a terabyte of total storage.  And that worries me about new PCs... there are so few as towers any more... all these fancy, schmancy tablets, etc.,   I will take a look at Edius and Vidoeguys... must glad there is somewhere I can come again from the old neighborhood!
  •  08-19-2013, 23:36 602384 in reply to 602381

I tried to go to Avid forums for a while, but everything was a bit hooty snooty over there I thought back in the day.  Never realized they sent Liquid back over to it's original home, but I did figure it was a legacy product... just had no idea what might have come next.  A friend in Oregon took a look at and used Vegas Pro I think, but I never even considered it.  But honestly, I haven't looked for anything for probably 10 years because I just thought Liquid was that good for everything I ever did.  Still is, except WinXP is going away and anything new has to be Win8 it seems.  I was able to figure out that Liquid and Win8 weren't going to play nice together.
  •  08-20-2013, 6:49 602407 in reply to 602384

I find I really can't get on with Vegas, and I have tried a lot.  Maybe if I had not been using Liquid, Premiere and Avid for years I would get on with it better.  One omission is that you can't nest sequences which I do a lot.  You can nest projects but each project is a file on the hard drive, unlike every other program where each sequence is part of one file.

One good thing about Vegas is that you can buy it with DVD Architect which is one of the few remaining reasonably priced DVD/Blu-ray tools. 

I am a reseller in the UK (as well as a long standing Liquid user) and most of our customers go to EDIUS and are very happy.

•  08-20-2013, 6:59 602408 in reply to 602407

I felt the same way about Vegas until I really Knuckled down. Worked well with some DSLr footage, and naturally EX HD footage. Eduis works really well. curious to see how the new 7 version pans out.
  •  08-20-2013, 7:32 602414 in reply to 602408

I actually did "knuckle down" and still did not like it.  One of my projects needed lots of effects, moving masks, decent slow motion good upscaling and downscaling, all of which Vegas was very good at, and at the time, were not in EDIUS.  So it was almost the best program for it.  I still didn't like it.

It also has the option of an link to HitFX now which is a not bad compositing program (not as good as After Effects but cheaper).

The best thing to do it use the trial version of both in anger on a short project and see what you think.

Unlike the days when I first started selling programs (about 1995) there are no rubbish programs now, just different degrees of good.

•  08-20-2013, 8:39 602423 in reply to 602414

I've looked at Vegas and am not impressed. The fact that a project can only have one sequence (like Pinnacle Studio) is a non starter for me. I use multiple sequences in almost every project and do nest them into a final edit. The way sequences can be tabbed in Edius is one of my favorite features. I also like the fact that you can create and save multiple screen layouts (like MC). I would not recommend Vegas to users coming from Liquid.
  •  08-20-2013, 17:29 602508 in reply to 602423

I have ordered EDIUS* and now have to consider the computer upgrade.  I was not able to talk with Gary... he was on a marathon support call or something... so I spoke with Phill B and he has sent me the VideoGuys DIY9 PC specs for building a great machine.  I'll take that to my local computer shop and see what they can do for me.  Then we'll see where we go from there.  Thanks Lew for the help and directions.  I hardly can wait to let me old system die, but it's going to be sad anyway!
  •  08-20-2013, 20:33 602529 in reply to 602508

I'm sure you will be happy. You will not miss Liquid, as good as it was. Join the Edius forum, lots of great help there and download Gavin's free introductory tutorial here. It is about two hours of instruction. Watch it a few times and you will be comfortable in Edius. The DIY machine is very similar to what I built.
  •  08-20-2013, 22:58 602533 in reply to 602423

LewS:
    The fact that a project can only have one sequence (like Pinnacle Studio) is a non starter for me. I use multiple sequences in almost every project and do nest them into a final edit. The way sequences can be tabbed in Edius is one of my favorite features. I also like the fact that you can create and save multiple screen layouts (like MC). I would not recommend Vegas to users coming from Liquid.

What? You can nest to your heart's content in Vegas. I do it all the time. You can also set and save any screen layout you want. I have found Vegas to be fantastic.

•  08-21-2013, 5:07 602554 in reply to 602533

But you nest a project in another project.  Thats two files to keep track of rather then one project with two sequences.  And when I have done quite a few performance slows down. 

One of my EDIUS projects has 60 scenes, each scene is a sequence all embedded in a master sequence.  I have have lots open, jump in an out at will etc.  Liquid was the same although had more of a lag when you had a complicated set of nested sequences. 

Out of interest the other difference is that in Liquid when you nested a sequence you could change the original and not effect the nest, where as in EDIUS you change the original and it does effect the nested one (Vegas is the same in that respect).

•  08-21-2013, 8:39 602586 in reply to 602533

bigrock:

LewS:
    The fact that a project can only have one sequence (like Pinnacle Studio) is a non starter for me. I use multiple sequences in almost every project and do nest them into a final edit. The way sequences can be tabbed in Edius is one of my favorite features. I also like the fact that you can create and save multiple screen layouts (like MC). I would not recommend Vegas to users coming from Liquid.

What? You can nest to your heart's content in Vegas. I do it all the time. You can also set and save any screen layout you want. I have found Vegas to be fantastic.

Yes, we know that you have found Vegas to be fantastic. But still, only one sequence in a project, so a non-starter for me and others.

•  08-21-2013, 19:48 602630 in reply to 602529

EDIUS* Software should arrive Friday.  Not sure when I can get the PC built, or bought.  We'll see.  Still looking over the DIY info Phil sent me.
Page 1 of 2 (50 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy