Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Please help - can't reinstall Avid Studio, Avid & Corel absolutely no help!

Last post 04-03-2013, 11:32 by Raff_Uy. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-22-2013, 5:59 585289

Please help - can't reinstall Avid Studio, Avid & Corel absolutely no help!

Hi, really hoping someone can help me.

I bought Avid Studio from the Avid Store in Jan 2012,  and I was sent an activation key to upgrade from trial to full version. 
    Unfortunately I had some problems with my computer and had to restore it so now I need to re-install Avid Studio.
    I went on the Avid Website and even though I could see my order there was no link to re-download, so I emailed them and they told me they no longer own this software and to contact Corel. 
    I contacted Corel but they told me they do not have copies of Avid Studio to download and that my account and my order history does not even exist on their system!  Corel told me  and that I should contact Avid!

Can anyone advise me on what I can do? If there is an old link of Avid Studio anywhere I'm hoping I can still unlock it with my activation key but I can't find it anywhere.
    Have I completely wasted this money?

Corel told me I can buy the new Ultimate Pinnacle Studio for £69.99 - if there is no way I can re-install Avid Studio is this a good replacement and similar to Avid Studio?

Feel really frustrated with the service I have been given by Avid - they really don't seem to be bothered.

Any advice much appreciated.  
  •  03-22-2013, 7:01 585308 in reply to 585289

Re: Please help - can't reinstall Avid Studio, Avid & Corel absolutely no help!

Send a PM to jjn. Maybe he can help you with your activation.

About the download, it may be a little bit difficult to get.

You may want to check this out too.

•  03-22-2013, 7:26 585312 in reply to 585308

Activation isn't the issue. If the OP had the trial version installed he would be able to enter the serial number he has and it would unlock when it checked for activation. The problem is that the OP has lost his download. It appears that Avid company policy for people who upgraded from the trial versions of S15 or Avid Studio is that they were expected to make their own backup.

It's only been in the last year or so that Avid, and now Corel, allow you to re-download your software. I suspect there is a certain amount of anti-piracy measures in place here. The Avid Studio trial has probably been cracked and making it openly available without checking the downloader's credentials will lead to more piracy.

There seems to have been a jump in expections in recent years. People now seem to think that they can always re-install software bought as a download and don't bother to make a backup. Perhaps it's an iTunes generation thing.

What would have happen if Avid had gone out of business rather than sold Pinnacle to Corel?

If someone on this forum feels strongly about this and would like to help, they can always upload their Avid Studio install files to a cloud site and post a private message to the OP. My Google drive is full ;-)

•  03-24-2013, 12:46 585631 in reply to 585312

If someone on this forum feels strongly about this and would like to help, they can always upload their Avid Studio install files to a cloud site and post a private message to the OP. My Google drive is full ;-)

I would have done, Jeff. However, my MediaFire File Sharing Free A/C is limited to 200Mb.

Avid Studio / PS16 Program plus all the Plugins & Content is over 8GBIndifferent

•  03-24-2013, 12:57 585633 in reply to 585631

....and Google drive (free) only allows you 5Gb. This is enough to share the S15 install files, but not AS. PS16 can download all it's content, so you just need the 1.8Gb install file.

However, there is another issue here. Does me putting these files on a cloud site consitute illegal file sharing? Could I have my Google account suspended?

I'm of a generation where I never expected to be able to re-download something, so always make a backup. However, there appears to be a new trend. I've just bought another NLE as a download. Ther appears to be no easy way to back up that download (which cost £200). I've asked for help but got none yet. It seems that this might be a new way of stopping piracy (which I'm all for) but you need a decent internet connection.

•  03-24-2013, 13:21 585641 in reply to 585633

Hi all, thanks for your advice and offers of help.

Yes, of course I should have made a back up but sometimes we never plan ahead :) Not sure I am iTunes generation as I am a 40yr old man, maybe just not very well organised! All i was given was an activation key to upgrade the trial version to the full version, never really thought about making a back up and not even sure how I would have done this with just the activation key. 

jjn - appreciate your offer to share the files - I've no idea if this constitutes illegal file sharing. I'd like to see Avid or Corel try and sue me after what has happened but up to you if you are comfortable with this. I emailed Raff and Glus as you advised but neither got back to me. 

So just to confirm - there is absolutely nowhere I can download the original trial version of Avid Studio and unlock with my activation key? And no one knows anyone at either Avid or Corel that can help me? 

I guess I'll just have to pay for the new version of Pinnacle Studio - can anyone advise me if this is a good purchase and if the software is similar to Avid Studio?  

Many thanks again everyone for your help.  

•  03-24-2013, 13:49 585646 in reply to 585641

As I said - Raff and Glus work for Pinnacle. They tend not to work at the weekends, so you should give then another day. If they don't answer you I can draw their attention to this thread via the moderator forum. I'd quite like to hear what the company line is on this situation....

•  04-03-2013, 11:32 587094 in reply to 585289

PM receive and reply, thanks jjn for directing the customer. Yes
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy