Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle sold to Corel

Last post 07-12-2012, 14:01 by VE7AXO. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-02-2012, 13:08 537940

Pinnacle sold to Corel

Announced today, the Pinnacle division of Avid has been sold to Corel. This includes Pinnacle Studio, Avid Studio and Avid Studio for the iPod. Here is the Avid press release.

•  07-02-2012, 22:45 538073 in reply to 537940

Re: Pinnacle sold to Corel

Hi.  Got an email from AVID stating so today. Wonder if Corel will ever think about Liquid Resurrection?  On that note, I wonder if AVID took what it wanted (technology) from Liquid) and bought All The Rights just so they can forever shelve the rest of it  leaving Liquid legally Unusable or upgradable or resurectable by anyone?
  •  07-02-2012, 23:11 538075 in reply to 538073

A large number grinding their collective teeth, I would imagine.
  •  07-03-2012, 4:44 538132 in reply to 538075

This news explains the cheap upgrade offers to Avid Studio that were flying around last month. Unfortunately, I heard about the UK one (£35, apparently) the day after it expired - not that I'm in a position to upgrade to Windows 7 at the moment anyway...

A statement from Corel about their attitude to Liquid would be welcome. I hope that registered users will qualify for technical support and future upgrade deals. It would be nice if they'd fund development of Liquid v.8, but I doubt it. If they do anything with the Liquid name, it will probably only be to re-brand the top-of-the-range version of Studio.

I never considered any of the "upgrade paths" offered by Avid as remotely good value for money. Happily, I don't need to upgrade at the moment.

The situation reminds me a little of what happened when Pinnacle bought Steinberg a few years ago, shoe-horned the bits of audio technology they wanted into Studio and Liquid, then sold the remains to Yamaha.
  •  07-03-2012, 8:03 538190 in reply to 538132

How can we previously happy Liquid users lobby Corel to prove it is worthwhile resurrecting the marketing of the Liquid series of products - maybe developing V.8?

Best done by key past Liquid exponents such as Lew and Dave Stone, perhaps. 

After all the product exists and just needs to be updated to make Corel more money!

•  07-03-2012, 14:45 538295 in reply to 538190

Smoothie:

How can we previously happy Liquid users lobby Corel to prove it is worthwhile resurrecting the marketing of the Liquid series of products - maybe developing V.8?

Best done by key past Liquid exponents such as Lew and Dave Stone, perhaps. 

After all the product exists and just needs to be updated to make Corel more money!

I agree....
  •  07-03-2012, 15:00 538300 in reply to 538295

I don't think that is ever going to happen. The future lies in Avid Studio. The current Pinnacle Studio uses the Liquid code base but Avid Studio is written on new code. I would look for that program to become more prosumer over time. Wink  And, as I have said previously, Grass Valley Edius is very much like Liquid in terms of workflow, so the learning curve is fairly short but it supports all the new file based cameras. Worth checking out the demo and there is even a Liquid crossgrade available if you decide you like it.
  •  07-03-2012, 19:12 538341 in reply to 538300

I wonder what will happen to Corel's existing Video product visavie this purchase. It seems unlikely they will maintain multiple product sets. It would be interesting to know if they got the Liquid brand name in the deal and what conditions were put on. More importantly will Liquid registration still work?

•  07-03-2012, 23:08 538358 in reply to 538341

I would second Lew's comments. Aside from some cosmetic differences Edius feels quite familiar to a Liquid user. It is certainly worth downloading the trial to see.
  •  07-04-2012, 11:01 538439 in reply to 538358

There is also quite a bit of similarity between Liquid and Editshare's Lightworks, the free high end NLE.  I actually see similarities between Lightworks and Media Composer as well, but I am not as well versed in MC as I am in Liquid.  Might be worth comparing Lightworks with Edius' and Liquid's workflows.  At least the price is right!
  •  07-04-2012, 18:12 538486 in reply to 538439

If Corel has acquired the Liquid name and product along with the rest of Pinnacle, then maybe Avid Studio will be renamed Corel Liquid? I'm sure they won't be able to call it "Avid Studio" for very long. It might help them position it as a step up from Pinnacle Studio and the existing Corel VideoStudio. Seems to me there are too many editors called "Something Studio" at the moment!

Corel has made a business out of other people's cast-offs. I seem to remember that Word Perfect and most (all?) of the Borland programming languages ended up there, and I see they now own Paint Shop Pro. I'm not sure how much money they put into support and development, though.

Interesting times.

•  07-04-2012, 19:37 538493 in reply to 538486

They also picked up the Roxio line of products back in February.
  •  07-04-2012, 20:15 538494 in reply to 538486

steamage:
    Corel has made a business out of other people's cast-offs. I seem to remember that Word Perfect and most (all?) of the Borland programming languages ended up there, and I see they now own Paint Shop Pro. I'm not sure how much money they put into support and development, though.

In the 90's I was a Corel Certified Solutions Provider. Corel bought the WordPerferct Suite and the Paradox Database from Borland. Borland spun their Program Lanuages Group off into a company called CodeGear that was eventually bought a company called Embarcero. Corel has continued to regularly release updates to the Word Perfect Suite which has a niche market. They have had PaintShop probably for 5 years now.

•  07-04-2012, 20:53 538496 in reply to 538494

I wonder if it would be totally idiotic and fruitless to make a 'Liquid Resurrection' petition and have all interested sign it and send to Corel?   - Wishful Thinking
  •  07-05-2012, 6:09 538548 in reply to 538496

As a long standing WordPerfect user, I've watched its development by Corel, and watched Corel's activities with other fire sale products they have picked-up.

I do not hold out much hope for more than glorified maintenance releases, some with a new version number, for what they they picked-up from under the Pinnacle banner that they decide to keep on the market.

Edius is a good option,  and has just released v6.5 with a real 3D workflow, and can edit about anything mostly in real time. What I miss most is the good old HFX

•  07-05-2012, 8:33 538573 in reply to 538496

As far as Liquid goes, I'm pretty sure this is a dead topic. As for the rest, it's now a wait-and-see situation. Speculation, while intellectually stimulating, is fruitless. In just a few weeks I think we'll all know exactly how this will all play out.
  •  07-05-2012, 21:13 538680 in reply to 538573

At the very least, nice to see old- no no no, familiar faces again...
  •  07-11-2012, 5:36 539483 in reply to 538300

Hey Guys, I've been a Fast Video/Liquid user for over 15-years.  I got stuck working with v6.2 and just recently finally installed 7.2.  I cannot believe how well the product works.  Hey I still have Std Video Cameras that shoot in wide frame.  Liquid handled my 16 x 9 jobs just great and I've turned out some beautiful productions.  The performance was quick.  I've shot multi-camera Dance Recitals and weddings.  My Final-Cut pro friends ask, how are you able to track multiple views from different cameras?  Only in Liquid!

My Windows/XP system worked flawless.  So my question is....What the heck was wrong with Liquid?  My clients are delighted.

•  07-12-2012, 8:10 539751 in reply to 539483

...once upon a time a big strong Avid walked through the woods and at his feet got a small little Pinnacle... Follow-up story you know already Smile
  •  07-12-2012, 14:01 539823 in reply to 539483

renpro:

My Windows/XP system worked flawless.  So my question is....What the heck was wrong with Liquid?

I think you have answered your own question with that statement.  No Win 7 (64 bit) capability.  No AVCHD capability.  No multi-core CPU capability.

Nuff said!

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy