Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Any recommendations for a video editing laptop for <$1000?

Last post 04-23-2020, 1:57 by saby. 18 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-27-2012, 12:49 512047

Any recommendations for a video editing laptop for <$1000?

Reference to a website for evaluations is fine.

My main questions concern the relative importance of CPU speed, memory, and graphics card.  I became interested because of a closeout deal on a Dell for ~ $750.  Abbreviated specs are:

• Intel Core i5-450 ,2.4GHz ; 4GB DDR3 Memory; 500GB 7200 RPM SATA;
    • Genuine Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64-bit)
    • 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive ;7-in-1 Card Reader; 9-cell Prismatic Battery
    • Intel HD Graphics + WiDi ; Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2; Intel 6200 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card;

This would not be my main resource for video editing.  My desktop will be used for that.  I'm mainly looking for something with portability so that I can edit video on travel.  The HDD is big and fast enough and I assume that I can add memory later if needed. My concern is the graphics which appears to be integrated with the motherboard.  Graphics card was a problem before on a Dell and I needed to beef up the internal graphics processing first with an internal card and then a more powerful one when I became interested in HD.  I don't necessarily need HD capability for my laptop since I can reserve HD editing for my desktop.

What is the Intel 6200 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card?  I presume that this is for networking but is it a removable card for expandability.

Thanks for your suggestions or reference to another thread here or a different www site.

•  02-01-2012, 14:00 512817 in reply to 512047

Re: Any recommendations for a video editing laptop for <$1000?

Netbooks, notebooks, and laptops are evolving rapidly.  As of yet, no tablet is powerful enough to edit video, but I'd not be surprised if, by 2013, we don't see ones that can.

No matter what the device, however, I'd not put much stock in battery life.  Most tests involve "apps" that consume much less power than video editing.  Most of the time, you'll be using an AC outlet, even if the device is portable.

An i5 system will not be a good investment if, any time in the next 3-4 years, you have to edit AVCHD 2 files or even 1920x1080 60i video at 24mbps, except perhaps in small projects.  Go for an i7 machine, which will cost only a little more, but spare you from hangs and crashes.

Get 8 GB RAM, not just 4.  USB3 ports are advisable.

Some high-end models now come with solid-state memory for the system files and programs.  I can't vouch for the compatibility with Avid products, but you may wish to examine the performance, which may bump up battery life a bit and improve speed.

Blu-ray will never have the near-universal reach of DVD, but an optical drive that can burn (not just read) Blu-ray media does not cost a whole lot extra, and can be useful.

Well, that blows the $1,000 ceiling.  In effect, I'm recommending a system that will cost twice that, plus change.  But, to put it another way, do you want to spend $1,000 now and then have to spend another $1,000 or more in twelve months, after you learn that a $2,200 system would fit your needs better?   Meanwhile, there are some desktop systems that will fit the $1,000 budget and be able to hack AVCHD 2.

•  02-02-2012, 7:44 512917 in reply to 512817

Thanks Kotch.  That's all good advice.  I'll spring for the most muscle that I can afford, but I'll likely continue to do most of my editing and all of my burning on my desktop machine.  I'm wanting to replace my 8-year old laptop (pentium processor, no card reader, USB 1.0, feeble graphics and <1GB RAM) with a machine that will at least handle editing SD and maybe AVCHD.  I would use the laptop only for portability for the trips that are becoming more frequent.  I don't even try to edit video on the old laptop.

Burning Blu-ray would be a plus, but if I can edit on the laptop I can export to my desktop machine and burn blu-ray there.  I don't have USB3 anywhere.  I presume that they are backwards compatible?  I use USB2 a lot for almost everything that I connect, Especially external HDD.

I'm not trying to duplicate desktop utility.  I only want the laptop to perform basic editing.  What I'm thinking is that the graphics card (or MOBO graphics) may be critical, but I don't know.  My experience is that cards for laptops aren't as readily available or easily replaced.  Actually, I've never replaced a laptop card, though I've replaced all desktop components and feel comfortable there.  But I'm on my 3rd graphics card on my desktop - not because they broke, but beause they couldn't handle the graphics when everything else on the machine will.

So I guess I should have limited my question to laptops with good graphics processing capability and expandability (card and memory slots).  The rest of the muscle will probably be okay (CPU, RAM).  My desktop with quad-core and 4GB does fine with S14 and Avid Studio.  I also have a couple TB storage and blu-ray burner.  When I get the urge for more power in general I'll likely replace the desktop.  As you say, power is cheaper there.

BTW, I agree with your comments on tablets.  I don't think they will ever be a primary video editor.  I have an iPad2 and some video editing capability, but the iPad at least for me is slower without mouse and a full-size keyboard.  Also storage is limited and for me the inability to export large files (e.g., AVI) is a big turn-off.  I'm convinced that Apple wants you to buy the storage exclusively from them rather than to support generic devices like external HDD or SD storage.

•  02-02-2012, 15:10 512998 in reply to 512917

lbeck:
    BTW, I agree with your comments on tablets.  I don't think they will ever be a primary video editor.  I have an iPad2 and some video editing capability, but the iPad at least for me is slower without mouse and a full-size keyboard.  Also storage is limited and for me the inability to export large files (e.g., AVI) is a big turn-off.  I'm convinced that Apple wants you to buy the storage exclusively from them rather than to support generic devices like external HDD or SD storage.

Asus already offers an i5 Windows tablet that could probably edit small HD projects.  I've not read of anyone trying to use an Avid product on one, though. The model has more RAM or CPU speed than Android or iPad tablets, and I understand it has a mechanical hard drive, so the battery life is less.

The Tegra 3 quad core Android tablets about to appear in stores have enough power to edit the sort of video captured by phones or tablets, and probably 1920x720 HD files from other cameras.  The editing "apps" remain primitive, though, and there have not been notable attempts by Windows NLE publishers to offer Android versions.  Google stops no one from attempting this.  Apple, meanwhile, allows iPad2 users to edit some video with a proprietary "lite" version of iMovie or FC.    Editing video with a tablet is more apt to involve the "cloud" approach to file storage, since the on-board memory seldom exceeds 64GB.  Tablets tend to have little RAM, and smaller CPUs, to conserve power use.

Existing Tegra 2 two-core Android tablets play 1920x1080 MP4 video files with no problem.  Flash and other web video plays fine too.  But when you look at the rudimentary editing tools available, there is not much incentive to try editing video or see if they can tackle AVCHD.

Large, decompressed AVI or AIC type files will probably never be part of tablet computing.

Avid itself has just announced an iPad version of Avid Studio.  The $5 price (not a misprint) indicates either:

1. Avid is giving away a $150 product for almost nothing, or
    2. The "app" is a rudimentary tool that is a segue or come-on to promote the Windows AS.

iPads are pricey, especially if you want 64GB hard memory or more.  No word (yet) whether Avid will introduce an Android version for the non-wealthy.

Windows Avid Studio users, who have been waiting months for an AS V1.2 patch to address some (ahem) bugs must be rolling their eyes. 

•  02-02-2012, 16:35 513018 in reply to 512047

I just ordered this HP ENVY3000eb to replace a 8 years old P4-3GHz laptop.

It's supplied in Belgium with a 160GB SSD and an additional 750GD sata HDD

It is not intented to replace my Q6600 based desktop editing machine but I do plan to do some occasional editing on it.

Main source video is HDV2 1440x1080i which shouldn't be a problem on the HP.

It's not the cheapest but then, ... for once (every now and then) in a life time.... Embarrassed

Will most likely arrive tomorrow or next week Monday.

•  02-10-2012, 7:42 514490 in reply to 513018

Thanks for the input, Paul.  I hope that you have received and are enjoying your new laptop.  I looked at it online and it cost about $2K USD here and that’s about twice my limit.  I’ll be using my desktop machine which is about the same specs as yours (Q6600, 3GB RAM) for my main editing machine.  It is now adequate for S14 and Avid Studio, but I did need to disable the integrated graphics and install a better graphics card to edit video properly, and then needed to replace the graphics card again when I started working with HD.  Since upgrading graphics in a laptop isn’t as simple as replacing a card that’s my main concern.  The Dell 15z that I’m now considering has an i5 processor (not as fast as your i7) and 6GB RAM (compared to your 8).

It has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M graphics with 1GB dedicated memory, and that’s my greatest unknown.  I’m hoping that it will be adequate since upgrading may be difficult if not impossible.  Your new laptop has AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT.

My cost limitation is because I’ll be using the laptop mainly for times away from my desktop, not to replace my desktop.  I’ll continue to edit on the desktop and will likely replace it with a beefed up machine in a year or so when I need a new “fix” for my electronics addiction.  I’m also intimidated by the amount of time that it will take for me to transfer all my programs to a new desktop machine when everything is operating okay now.  I had a difficult time with that aspect when I bought the machine as it came with Vista. Many of my programs didn’t work and I had to replace drivers for much of my hardware.  Some of the old hardware wouldn't work with Vista at all.  I hope that switching to W7 won’t be as difficult.  With the laptop the upgrade won’t be as traumatic since I’ll be doing hardware-related tasks on the desktop.

Bottom line, I’m still wondering about the NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M graphics which is my main reason for this thread.  If it won’t work for video processing then that’s a deal breaker for me on the Dell 15z that I’m now considering.

•  02-10-2012, 10:47 514514 in reply to 512047

I was just asking the chaps about a problem with lip sync and was told my Celeron 2.3 GHz was not up to the job. Check out "gaming systems" at TigerDirect. You can get 3.3GHz systems with mungo RAM in the range $700 to $900.
  •  02-12-2012, 5:54 514804 in reply to 514490

lbeck:

...I had a difficult time with that aspect when I bought the machine as it came with Vista. Many of my programs didn’t work and I had to replace drivers for much of my hardware.  Some of the old hardware wouldn't work with Vista at all.  I hope that switching to W7 won’t be as difficult.  With the laptop the upgrade won’t be as traumatic since I’ll be doing hardware-related tasks on the desktop...

just a word about Vista -- a notorious OS that has become synonymous with fail, and that even M$ wants to pretend never happened.

FWIW, I can freely choose any OS I want, and I use Vista 64.

When first released Vista definitely had glitches -- and the available hardware (and drivers for them) was not ready.

And to make things worse, M$ & Intel allowed PC makers to improperly promote (legacy) PCs as Vista "ready" when they knew they were not.

Also the initial iteration of M$'s "user account control" was both brutal and idiotic -- and justifiably alienated Vista users.

All this lead to very frustrated early Vista users, and cemented a tainted image for this OS in the general public's mind.

But subsequent evolutions of hardware and drivers (in part because of Win7 compatibility and wide adoption) have overcome the early hardware troubles. And later patches and upgrades to Vista make it at least as stable as Win 7 while being arguably faster. But most importantly, it is a MUCH more user friendly UI to experienced Windows users.

Win 7 64 and Vista 64 are largely interchangeable underneath -- but on the UI level Vista is MUCH better.

•  02-12-2012, 15:49 514916 in reply to 514490

Hi Lee,

Still no joy here, didn't see the laptop yet.
    Supply has been delayed. It's now promised for this week.

I don't expect the GeForce GT525M to give problems with Studio. Only concern could perhaps be that Dell installed it's own "modified" driver version and that installing a generic Nvidia update version is not accepted.

But then, I might end up in the same boat with HP. 

As you say it, the Envy HP is quite expensive, it's adviced retail price in Belgium is 1999,-€. I'd never buy it if I really had to pay that much for it.

I feel like I have a similar addiction as you have and to "fix" that I was thinking of buying a new desktop for editing. For what I had in mind I'd have to pay over 1300,-€, not that I needed a faster system to edit my HDV captures, my actual Q6600 still handles the stuff very good. 

When after doing some detailed "research" I found out I could get the Envy for not more than 100,-€ extra, I promptly changed my mind.

•  02-22-2012, 16:18 516994 in reply to 514916

Thanks, Paul.

I couldn't spring for the Envy but I was able to get a pretty good Pavillion and stay within my budget.  Total cost USD with tax and free shipping was $976.75 after I applied a coupon.  I'm also promised a $40 rebate for signing up for their "preferred account" as a new signee (see HP site for details).  That means that I had to open an account but can pay it off immediately with no interest incurred.  So my final cost will be ~ $937.

I upgraded to the same graphics card that you have and chose a faster HDD.  I didn't need the HD burner since I have one on my desktop but was required to get above $899 to qualify for the $40 sign up bonus.

Thanks for helping me decide

HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition customizable Notebook PC

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz

• 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics(TM) [HDMI, VGA]

• FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• One 6 Cell and One 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

• 15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview (1366x768)

• Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner

• HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader

• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

• Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

•  02-18-2013, 18:51 579649 in reply to 516994

Hi Lee,

I'm considering replacing my desktop with a laptop when I upgrade to S16. I found your post when I did a search to see how others have fared using laptops. I'm considering a machine that's almost identical to the one you purchased almost a year ago. Can you tell me how it's worked out, or if you would change anything, what would it be?

Thanks!

SKS700

•  02-18-2013, 19:25 579657 in reply to 579649

All things considered I would make the same choice given the circumstances at the time.  Having said that, I need to let you know that technology changes so rapidly that I would begin my research in all areas anew.  Also, much of my decision was based on specials and rebates that may no longer be factors.  For instance, I don't need a hd burner and haven't burned the first HD disc on my laptop.  I have a hd burner on my desktop, but I needed to bump the price up to qualify for a rebate.

The things that I really like is the fingerprint reader, which works well.  A disappointment is the  touchpad, which I haven't been able to get working properly even after a couple of driver updates.  I prefer win7 to the vista os on my desktop.

as mentioned, given the info and circumstances of the time I would make the same decision. If you decide on the machine I believe that you will be satisfied. 

Afterthought:

if you do decide on a HP with a graphics card with switchable graphics, and if you experience some delay when stepping through video on the timeline, you should try switching the hi performance graphics off.  I had a devil of a time diagnosing that, and it was evident only with s16.  Other versions didn't show the anomaly. 

•  02-19-2013, 15:59 579839 in reply to 579657

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. A quick question I should have asked before. Are you editing HD video? I'm working with the .MOV files from a Canon DSLR and burning Blu-Ray finals.
  •  02-19-2013, 20:06 579870 in reply to 579839

All of the video that I have edited in the past 5 years has been HD.  That's when I bought the HD camcorder in my profile.  However, practically all has been .MTS files.  I have edited some .MOV files from an underwater camera that I also own, but not much.  I haven't had any problems with either format.

Even though my editing has been HD, I haven't burned much HD.  Partially because of the cost of the blank media but mostly because Blu Ray hasn't fully penetrated the market.  I suspect that will quickly change though. 

The little HD burning that I have done has turned out fine, but it has been with the HD burner on my desktop machine. 

•  02-20-2013, 11:03 580036 in reply to 579870

Great information. Thank you!
  •  02-21-2013, 13:38 580389 in reply to 512817

JKoch:

Netbooks, notebooks, and laptops are evolving rapidly.  As of yet, no tablet is powerful enough to edit video, but I'd not be surprised if, by 2013, we don't see ones that can.

Avid Studio came out with a version specifically for the iPad.  I know nothing about it other than what I have read in the "Pinnacle/Avid Studio App (iPad)" discussion forum and from a friend who has played a bit with it (he likes it).  Have you or anyone reading this thread tried it and noticed anything special about the battery life expectancy while editing?

•  02-21-2013, 23:45 580439 in reply to 580389

VE7AXO:
    JKoch:

Avid Studio came out with a version specifically for the iPad.  I know nothing about it other than what I have read in the "Pinnacle/Avid Studio App (iPad)" discussion forum and from a friend who has played a bit with it (he likes it).  Have you or anyone reading this thread tried it and noticed anything special about the battery life expectancy while editing?

I've used the iPad app and it works well as a portable item that can do basic editing apart from your regular Studio software.  But it is no where near a replacement for the full version of the software as it lacks practically all of the edit functionality.  I use it mainly while away from my PC to quickly delete and combine scenes.  The resulting edits can then be ported to the software in the full version.  At least S16 (I don't know about earlier versions).

I haven't noticed any effect on battery life but haven't really examined this characteristic of the software. 

•  04-22-2020, 22:46 798128 in reply to 512047

lbeck:

Reference to a website for evaluations is fine.

My main questions concern the relative importance of CPU speed, memory, and graphics card.  I became interested because of a closeout deal on a Dell for ~ $750.  Abbreviated specs are:

• Intel Core i5-450 ,2.4GHz ; 4GB DDR3 Memory; 500GB 7200 RPM SATA;
    • Genuine Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64-bit)
    • 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive ;7-in-1 Card Reader; 9-cell Prismatic Battery
    • Intel HD Graphics + WiDi ; Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2; Intel 6200 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card;

This would not be my main resource for video editing. My desktop will be used for that.  I'm mainly looking for something with portability so that I can edit video on travel.  The HDD is big and fast enough and I assume that I can add memory later if needed. My concern is the graphics which appears to be integrated with the motherboard.  Graphics card was a problem before on a Dell and I needed to beef up the internal graphics processing first with an internal card and then a more powerful one when I became interested in HD.  I don't necessarily need HD capability for my laptop since I can reserve HD editing for my desktop.

What is the Intel 6200 Wireless-N (2x2) Half Mini-Card?  I presume that this is for networking but is it a removable card for expandability.

Thanks for your suggestions or reference to another thread here or a different www site.

Recommended Requirement for Video Editing,

CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad-Core 

GPU: NVIDIA QUADRO or STUDIO

RAM: 16GB

SSD: 512GB

Thanks. 

•  04-23-2020, 1:57 798131 in reply to 798128

This is almost a 8 years old thread. I do think Ibeck's laptop is already purchased and maybe already replaced once or twice.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy