Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

McAfee security software

Last post 10-12-2007, 5:23 by sverkalo. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-09-2007, 18:20 47699

McAfee security software

My editing machine is normally not connected to the internet, but it is ocassionally for upgrades, etc.  So, I have virus software, firewall etc.

However, when I edit, I disconnect the internet link.  I then end all the miscellaneous crap, including all of the umpteen processes started by McAfee.  loaded into memory using END-IT-ALL. 

Nonetheless, I find that in a few minutes after finishing with END-IT-ALL, all of the McAfee processes are re-loaded.  I really hate it when a program decides how I want to run my machine.  How do I kill this behavior without completely uninstalling McAfee? 

Thanks for any help.

•  10-09-2007, 18:50 47712 in reply to 47699

Re: McAfee security software

No way AFAIK. My opinion is that McAfee and Norton are like viruses themselves.  I would uninstall it and use NOD32 with integrated firewall.  If you want free there is AVG antivirus and antispyware. There are free firewall options too.
  •  10-10-2007, 2:29 47814 in reply to 47712

I have been using AVG Free anti-virus for a couple of years and have found it to be reliable and much less intrusive than Norton, which I used to run. I haven't tried disabling it, though, so don't know whether it would keep coming back like McAfee does. AVG anti-spyware is not free, though it is quite cheap. The most widely used free firewall is probably the one bundled with Windows XP SP2.

(edit) Correction: AVG do offer a free anti-spyware program. The version I was using was a 30-day trial of their full product. My apologies.

•  10-10-2007, 4:33 47841 in reply to 47814

The version you have is the free version.  It just disables the resident shield and automatic updates after 30 days.
  •  10-10-2007, 4:38 47843 in reply to 47814

I run exactly the same procedure, using end-it-all to unload all the protective stuff when I'm not connected to the internet - except I am running the AVG internet security software instead of McAfee or Norton. AVG does NOT insist on reloading itself all the thime like the others do.

The procedure is more from habit than necessity these days, AVG seems fairly light or system recources and my PC a lot more recources available. I do notice a slight improvement in loading-up time for Liquid even so.

•  10-10-2007, 17:46 48068 in reply to 47843

Thank you for the lead on the AVG.  I'm going to look into this.
  •  10-10-2007, 18:25 48080 in reply to 48068

AVG is excellent. I have been using it for several years along with ZoneAlarm and SpyBot. Excellent protection at an affordable (free) price. None of these programs is intrusive on your system. That said, it is best to have Liquid on its own boot disc with none of these programs running if at all possible.
  •  10-11-2007, 18:34 48587 in reply to 48080

Thanks Lew.  I agree on killing unnecessary programs when I run Liquid (assuming of course the modem link is disabled)  I do my Internet surfing on a separate machine, but upgrading (and activating) programs does require Internet access.
  •  10-11-2007, 19:02 48600 in reply to 48587

True, but you are unlikely to encounter a virus if that is all you do. I do not have a virus checker on my Liquid boot drive, just the Windows firewall. I never surf the web on that drive. I only go to our forums and windows update. Everything else is done on my other boot drive which is well protected. I have never had a problem.
  •  10-12-2007, 5:23 48775 in reply to 48600

NOD 32 isn't free but it is excellent.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy