Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Thinking of going back to Liquid from MC!

Last post 09-24-2011, 19:09 by tvprich. 59 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (60 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-26-2011, 5:57 456540

Ugh I know I shouldn't quit but man MC5 is so dang hard to work with! Working with the effect suck! Applying effects and then editing them sucks! Editing on the timeline sucks! ugh! I was doing a quick project on MC5 and I swear it took like 2-3 hours to start the beginning! Got so frustrated went back to Liquid and I was able to finish the project in 2 hours! The project was really a photo montage and boy did I have a frustrating time trying to get it done on MC5! I know MC5 is great and all but I just can't believe how much simple and intuative Liquid is! I sure hope that Avid get their act together and bring Liquid back or at turn Avid Studio to Liquid quickly! I'm really debating in going back to Liquid and just scrapping MC.. Its crazy to me how MC5.5 has the a great new ability to edit transitions when Liquid has been able to do that ever since when! I guess to be a "professional editor" you really have to work hard to get a simple thing done! That's the Avid way!
  •  02-27-2011, 1:10 456683 in reply to 456540

Re: Thinking of going back to Liquid from MC!

I can feel with you.

My MC5 project took over 5 months to complete. But in MC there are things possible that can not be done in Liquid. Like tracking, nice animation etc. If you think you don't need this in a project, then you can certainly use Liquid. This is what I do also.

As long as your input is accepted and you do not plan to do BluRay directly from Liquid.

On the other hand, the last thing is also not possible in MC either...

•  02-27-2011, 4:47 456719 in reply to 456540

Yes MC is different and some of it is hard to grasp what helped me were tutorials. You can find a bunch of them on Avid site. I also liked Douglas Bruce and his tutorials, they are very helpful.

Here's a link to Douglas home page.

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/01gaijin/0101a.html

•  03-03-2011, 14:52 458040 in reply to 456719

You will not be able to do the same thing on MC at the beginning, but the more you work with it, the faster you will be. You need to take the time to learn it and to watch some tutorials.

Working with transitions are a new feature in the timeline, yes, but you can adjust them in directly in the transition windows. But I much prefer to adjust the transition directly in the trim tool using the dual roller.

•  04-24-2011, 9:28 469938 in reply to 458040

I need to move on and have the choice of Media Composer at reduced price or Edius by Green Valley

As I only do this for a hobby, I consider the main criteria deciding which to opt for, is simplicity and being similiar to Liquid (that I have been using for 7 years)

All views or opinion much apprceiated

•  04-27-2011, 7:26 470517 in reply to 469938

My recommendations...

Vegas Pro 10 and or Adobe CS5

I have both and am extremely happy with each of them. 

For down and dirty, quick and intuitive, handle anything editing, Vegas is excellent.  Has 3rd party scripting.  Drop an unknown quantity of stills on the timeline, along with a music track, tell the app to mix to music, choose transitions and zoom in out, pan and scan settings, push go and one second later you have a completed stills to music, or time, or whatever, completely finished.

For Liquid users and pro work, CS5 is a quick step up.  Small learning curve but if you've been editing in Liquid to the point where you're comforatable, you will be able to be up and running in CS5 in short order.  I bought the entire Pro suite.  Big bang for the buck.

Later,

Andy

•  04-27-2011, 8:04 470520 in reply to 470517

There's really no need to throw out all your old tools just because you get some new ones. A lot of the editors in our group in Orlando use both Media Composer and Final Cut. They get more business that way. Me, I'm still using Liquid for the bulk of my work while I'm learning MC. Eventually I'll learn Final Cut too. It makes too much sense from a marketing standpoint.

That being said, there are a lot of projects I do for existing clients that are giving a lot of repeat business. The Liquid workflow is just so very efficient for their work. There's no good business reason to change for those clients. For the foreseeable future, I'm keeping my Liquid Workstation up and running. It's profitable.

•  04-27-2011, 9:38 470551 in reply to 470520

Since I have a new system that is complete certified for MC5.5, I have started to work through a bunch of tutorials. Not only the ones that come from (good old) Douglas, but I also go into the tuts on avidscreencast. These show how you can do things you never was thinking of and, if you have some experience in MC already, can "copy" for your education skills.

In my "old" system I have Liquid running. But I will use Liquid less, and even no longer after a couple of months. Then I expect to do the things in MC almost as quick as in Liquid.

It was as the first days of using Liquid, coming from Studio....

•  04-27-2011, 14:48 470621 in reply to 470551

If you don't do multicam Avid studio would be a good choice I choose Edius it is like liquid. I watched a good solid month of tutorials on MC I just did not like what I saw. I remember the avid screencast I watched about 5 times to try to understand what he was doing http://www.youtube.com/user/avidscreencast#p/u/13/j-KChuqTTQM  I still don't understand why 3 video tracks. And also multicam in MC click this then that then group then open this then choose audio source (too much). It can be done easier than that. I have done multicam in Liquid and Edius and it is easier.

Mike 

•  04-29-2011, 9:56 470961 in reply to 470520

RogerVanDuyn:

There's really no need to throw out all your old tools just because you get some new ones.

Agreed. But Liquid Edition is not designed for HD. That is my one and only reason for having to say goodbye to LE. And what a shame it is as I have been extremely comfortable with that software.

I have no desire to start learing a new product. But I want to edit HD and want to use an editing system that offeres more than Studio.

•  04-29-2011, 10:24 470970 in reply to 470961

Chuni,

your statement is not fair. LE can do excellent editing on HD stuff, but maybe not on AVCHD. You can f.i. export to MPEG2 in a very high quality. For burning to BluRay, you need a different program. There are many alternatives here.

In MC you also can not burn to BluRay. You need f.i. AvidDVD to do that job. 

•  04-29-2011, 10:54 470975 in reply to 470970

Liquid is an excellent HD editing program. I use it all the time with my Sony FX1 and also an AVCHD 720p camera. It can edit full HD as well. For some acquisition formats, you must transcode first using a third party program to something like HD mpeg2 but that is no big deal. To make bluray discs you need something like Authoring Works 4 which works directly with Liquid HD fuse files. This is not much different than using a Quicktime Ref file with MC to go out to Avid DVD for HD disc authoring. If you want, you can certainly continue to use Liquid for your HD editing and output.
  •  04-29-2011, 11:55 470987 in reply to 470961

Chuni:

...I have no desire to start learing a new product. But I want to edit HD and want to use an editing system that offeres more than Studio.

Suppose you're referring to Pinnacle Studio here?

If so, did you try Avid Studio yet?

Here is the trial.

•  04-30-2011, 4:40 471065 in reply to 456540

I have..temporarily :(

I must admit after trying out MC 5 (building a pc specifically for it) I don't find it easy at all.  I had a 10 min video edit to do; someone giving a talk to camera with a projection of a PPT presentation behind him. the presentation is obviouslly washed out due to the brightness difference. ..simple? I got the PPT slides and intended to overlay them in MC.. I brought them into MC and resized to fit the screen area.however you dont get transparency around the graphic as you automatically do/did in LE.. tried to find a solution by researching but n the end I cobbled up an XP  machine and loaded up LE.. it's done now.. half hour max (after the pc build.

Yes there are tutorials.. Douglas has gone to great legths to provide them; but i fear it's too much for me to learn. ;I mus be thick!

.. I'd sell MC and transfer lcence if only I knew how/where and get a reasonable video camera..

•  05-01-2011, 11:55 471210 in reply to 471065

quick Qs

anyone found an intermediate and current software editor that fits between LE and MC that will work with Win 7 Pro 64bit. and is LE7 like

...and preferably use my Nikon's AVC output. My LE may do it.. not sure, though.

•  05-01-2011, 15:55 471242 in reply to 471210

Re: quick Qs

Have a look at Edius. You can download a trial version. The workflow is very Liquid like.
  •  05-01-2011, 18:15 471251 in reply to 471242

Re: quick Qs

AND it readily works with AVCHD, worked adequately on a AMD box of mine with on board video (G 785)
  •  05-02-2011, 3:48 471292 in reply to 470970

Sef:

Chuni,

your statement is not fair. LE can do excellent editing on HD stuff, but maybe not on AVCHD. You can f.i. export to MPEG2 in a very high quality. For burning to BluRay, you need a different program. There are many alternatives here.

In MC you also can not burn to BluRay. You need f.i. AvidDVD to do that job. 

I was unaware that LE can handle HD. I am testing a small project.This requires a conversion process. I hope it won't degenerate the quality.

Is it fair to say that although Le can handle HD, it is not designed for it and therefore long term it is advisable to look elsewhere? If not, why are so many looking for different editors?

•  05-02-2011, 5:08 471301 in reply to 471292

LE is absolutely designed to handle HD. It was the first NLE app. to natively edit HDV. What it can't do is natively edit AVCHD. That came around after they stopped developing for LE.
  •  05-02-2011, 10:12 471355 in reply to 471292

Chuni:

Is it fair to say that although Le can handle HD, it is not designed for it and therefore long term it is advisable to look elsewhere? If not, why are so many looking for different editors?

The word "fair" seems to get a peculiar meaning.

As stated in the reply before this one, LE is designed for HD but at the moment (I'm convinced) LE came with its latest versions, the discussion about BluRay and DVD-HD (I think it was called) were not finished yet. So that is why, in my opinion, AVID decided NOT to include the BluRay write option. There were other programs that could do a better job. And MC also does not have a (BluRay) DVD write function. That is in the AvidDVD program that came with the suite.

And if you don't need the DVD output, then a very good alternative is the MPEG2 export function. That MPEG2 can be placed on an USB drive (lots of Gigs there) and played back directly on a HD TV Set (like Samsung), or through a Media convertor on each HD TV set throuh a HDMI connection.

•  05-02-2011, 10:59 471372 in reply to 471301

DStone:
    LE is absolutely designed to handle HD.

Did a small edit of HD in LE and it worked OK other than the time it took to fianlise.

Will additional memory make a noticiable improvemnt or is it time for a new  processor?

•  05-02-2011, 13:00 471402 in reply to 471372

Your specs say you have 2GB of ram. That is marginal for Liquid. I would bump it up to 4GB. However, not matter what, HD material takes time to render. Make sure your source material and your timeline settings match so that only those things that need to render, render. If things are set correctly, when you put a clip on the timeline it should be a grey slice. If it is yellow, the timeline settings are not correct for your source material.
  •  05-02-2011, 14:18 471411 in reply to 471242

Thanks Lew

I feel bad about all of this; it was your intervention that I was able to try MC in the first place. I'm not ungrateful, honest :)

Since getting up my old LE 7 running and getting a project finished, my frustration had waned and I am going ot try something else on MC to see if I can et some productivity out of it.

one thing I managed easily in LE was a straightforward 4:3 pal project (he format of the original footage). i can only see widescreen format in MC.. i exported out to a 4:3 aspect from MC and it came out as expected to use in LE..

I must be missing something here.

I will look at Eidus as you suggested. many thanks..... again

•  05-02-2011, 14:20 471412 in reply to 471242

Thanks Lew

I feel bad about all of this; it was your intervention that I was able to try MC in the first place. I'm not ungrateful, honest :)

Since getting up my old LE 7 running and getting a project finished, my frustration had waned and I am going ot try something else on MC to see if I can et some productivity out of it.

one thing I managed easily in LE was a straightforward 4:3 pal project (he format of the original footage). i can only see widescreen format in MC.. i exported out to a 4:3 aspect from MC and it came out as expected to use in LE..

I must be missing something here.

I will look at Eidus as you suggested. many thanks..... again

•  05-02-2011, 18:19 471430 in reply to 471412

Re: Thanks Lew

Right click inside the record inlay monitor (timeline viewer) in MC and change the aspect ratio there for 4:3 monitors inside MC. In Liquid, the monitors changed with the timeline setting. In MC you have to manually select the aspect ratio of the viewers.
Page 1 of 3 (60 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy