Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Capturing from an SVHS source

Last post 07-05-2011, 2:10 by Bob keen. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-01-2011, 11:04 480837

Capturing from an SVHS source

Hi all

I have been using a high quality Canopus ADVC-55 to capture SVHS material into Sudio 14. The results are great but there is just one frustrating aspect which I would like to correct if possible.

When I have finished capturing a clip and select 'Stop Capture' the device ceases to be recognised by Studio and I have to unplug it, reconnect it, and select it again for recognition to occur again. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to eliminate this problem?

•  07-01-2011, 11:40 480842 in reply to 480837

Re: Capturing from an SVHS source

I captured a lot of S-VHS via an ADVC-110 and never had that problem. What happens if you close the importer and then reopen it? Or if you just turn the VCR off and back on again?
  •  07-03-2011, 1:32 480984 in reply to 480842

Hi mdriggs

I have not tried closing the importer and re-opening it as that actually takes longer to do than simply unpluging the ADVC-55. Switching the recorder input machine on and off fails to make a difference. That was the first thing I tried. It might be that I just have to live with this as there could be an incompatibilty problem with Studio and the ADVC-55.

•  07-03-2011, 12:49 481060 in reply to 480984

Actually, just remembered one other thing. Been a few months since I last did an analog capture, but I think the ADVC-110 would switch from its analog input to its digital input at the end of a capture. All that's necessary to correct that is to toggle the input switch. I'd be surprised if there were any compatibility issue, as the ADVC appears to Studio as a DV source, just like a camcorder.
  •  07-04-2011, 3:48 481134 in reply to 481060

I had tried switching the Canopus off and on again but it made no difference. I know you don't think there is a form of incompatibility involved here, but I cannot see any other explanation for it. There may just be something in the electronics which causes a problem at the point of cessation of capture. When this occurs, the capture screen scrambles and pixelates rather than just a simple disengagement of the devices. There has to be something that Studio does not like when this operation is performed.
  •  07-04-2011, 12:15 481184 in reply to 481134

I see in looking at the ADVC-55 manual that there's no digital/analog switch as on the ADVC-110. The Pinnacle 14/15 importer is fussy and seems to want to see a video signal before it will recognize a device. Maybe when the signal from the ADVC-55 shuts off at the end of capture, it appears to Studio that the device has disappeared. When it is powered off and back on again it may briefly send a signal that allows Studio to detect it again. All speculation on my part, though.
  •  07-05-2011, 2:10 481231 in reply to 481184

Your explanation seems perfectly plausible to me. I guess I will have to plough on with re-setting it for every imported clip. Frustrating but not the end of the world.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy