Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

AVCHD, 1440:1080i, re-encoding, muxing, sharing, and backing up

Last post 05-31-2011, 10:35 by OmegaTCB. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-18-2011, 11:48 473807

AVCHD, 1440:1080i, re-encoding, muxing, sharing, and backing up

Hi.  I am definitely a video newbie, but reasonably technical.  I have for been searching for awhile, but am having a hard time making a decision here, so I thought I'd appeal to the experts.

My basic situation should be pretty common.  Just looking for a simple, high-quality way to compose/arrange my home videos and share and backup those videos without too much hassle.  I have Pinacle Studio HD Ultimate, and a Sony HDR-SR7 Camcorder, with a bunch of the Camcorder files copied to my PC.  I also have a couple of Tivo Premeirs in the house and that I am trying to stream via the 3rd party App streambaby. The sony packages the files in a file with a .m2ts extension. tsMuxer 1.10.6 reports the following about the files inside the container:

H.264, Profile: Main@4.0 Resolution 1440:1080i Frame Rate: 29.97
    AC3, Bitrate 448 kbps, Sample Rate 48 Khz Channels 6

I am first off just looking for overall guidance and perhaps a pointer to the best intro/tutorial for a newbie.  Either commerical book, or online.  (Actaully I do see the tutorials here and will start digging in right away.)

But, I do have a more specific question.  Right now, I don't want to do anything fancy.  I really just want to string together a few videos at a time and save them in a format that will play on my Tivo via streambaby (h264 in .mp4 container works).  I'd like to preserve the orignal quality of the videos, which, I think means that I do not want to do any re-encoding of the files.  Can I just pull the mts files in, put them one after another, and do "Make a Movie" in such a way that no re-encoding happens?  What format settings would I use (given the above input files), such that re-encoding did not happen?

Thanks in advance for any help.

•  05-18-2011, 16:08 473858 in reply to 473807

Re: AVCHD, 1440:1080i, re-encoding, muxing, sharing, and backing up

jkoch is our AVCHD expert in the forum, hope he shed some light on this matter, BTW update your profile it will help us troubleshoot problems.
  •  05-19-2011, 11:39 474046 in reply to 473858

Have updated profile.  Hope to hear from jkoch or others.

Thanks

•  05-23-2011, 9:57 474657 in reply to 473807

OmegaTCB:
    H.264, Profile: Main@4.0 Resolution 1440:1080i Frame Rate: 29.97; AC3, Bitrate 448 kbps, Sample Rate 48 Khz Channels 6

Studio can edit this format, but any export will involve re-coding.  Some products or tools can "pass through" the files without recoding, but you cannot apply any overlay titles or other effects, or they will entail recoding too.  If the content consists of multiple short clips, any "pass through" or "smart render" result will also stutter briefly at the end of each clip.  Unless I am mistaken, the no-recode pass through modes of Nero or PowerDirector work only with disc creation, not with file export.

OmegaTCB:
    I really just want to string together a few videos at a time and save them in a format that will play on my Tivo via streambaby (h264 in .mp4 container works). 

I thought Tivos included a DVR that essentially does just that: record streamed subscription video to file.  Not so?  FYI, I own no Tivo and work mainly with video shot with videocams or P&S cameras.  Where is your video sourced? 

OmegaTCB:
    Can I just pull the mts files in, put them one after another, and do "Make a Movie" in such a way that no re-encoding happens?  What format settings would I use (given the above input files), such that re-encoding did not happen?

You can haul the clips to a Pinnacle Studio time line, edit all you want, and export to HD file or AVCHD-DVD disc, but there will be re-coding.  The image quality loss will be modest, provided your export resolution and bitrate are sufficiently high.  If you use HDV2 MPEG2 1440x1080i at 25mps, the quality will be good, but the file size large.  If you export to MP4 at the same resolution but 8mbps, you will get a small file but incur a bit of quality loss.  If you burn an AVCHD-DVD at 17mpbs, it will look good on a Blu-ray player or PC that feeds to an HDTV.  If you burn to Blu-ray image, using the BD-MPEG format, the image will still burn to ordinary DVD disc, if not too large, using the AVCHD-DVD burn option, and that will look great.  Or you could burn to Blu-ray disc itself at 25mbps and find the result pleasing.  If you have no BD burner, the m2ts files in the BDMV folders should also play back from the hard drive and look OK, whether streamed to your TV from the PC or by playing the files with the Tivo.  The result should not look lossy or horrific unless you try to compress too much, as is liable to happen with a YouTube upload.

•  05-31-2011, 10:35 475939 in reply to 474657

Many thanks for the reply.  I guess if I am bothering the string together clips, I'd probalby end up doing at least a title page and/or fades, so I was pretty much going to re-encode no matter what tool I was using.  Thanks for the pointers on formats.  Now I know where to start.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy