Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pan and Zoom on still image

Last post 07-25-2011, 17:35 by JSHgarden. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-28-2011, 15:52 464429

Pan and Zoom on still image

The pan and zoom on a still image doesn't allow me to (say) zoom in for a while and then hold still on the picture.  If I copy a keyframe and paste it, there is still movement between the two keyframes.  The animation 'overshoots' the position at the first keyframe and then comes back to the second, even though they are copies.

Hope this makes sense.

Is there a way of achieving this using the tools available?

thanks

Mark

•  03-28-2011, 17:10 464437 in reply to 464429

Re: Pan and Zoom on still image

Yep, looks like a bug. I cannot see a way to still it.
  •  03-28-2011, 17:20 464440 in reply to 464429

It's a problem of interpolation. This should work for you:

1. add the start and end keyframes where you want the image to hold still.
    2. Copy the start keyframe and then past it on the next frame.
    3. Copy the end keyframe and then past it on the previous frame.

So the keyframe timeline will have two keyframes for the start, and two keyframes for the end. The two inner keyframes force the P&Z to hold still.

I find it easiest when trying to exactly past keyframes to put the keyframe just somewhere conveniently near where I want and then drag it to it's final position.

Hope this helps.

•  03-28-2011, 19:05 464451 in reply to 464440

Another  way, if I can explain it, is to put PZ in animation mode,

take the white frame and place it where you wish your zoom to end, and then put the scrubber on the timeline where you wish the zoom to end, and hit the keyframe button on the left of the timeline.  Say you put the keyframe 2 seconds from the end, then your zoom should stop and the last two seconds of the timeline will be static...

•  03-29-2011, 4:55 464514 in reply to 464440

Thanks DStone.  I think you are right about the interpolation.  I will try your suggestion later when I get the chance.

Cheers

Mark

•  03-29-2011, 18:53 464673 in reply to 464440

That certainly works but why wouldn't the keyframes write that? Isn't that their job? Sounds like a bug to me.
  •  03-29-2011, 19:44 464684 in reply to 464673

I think this is a case of the product trying to be too clever.
  •  04-10-2011, 22:46 467211 in reply to 464684

I find this Pan and Zoom nearly useless. I like to do "Ken Burns" type panning, i. e., many stops on the same photo. Avid Studio adds these wiggles because when you resize the pan area (zoom) the center moves. When you paste a keyframe the scrubber moves, moving the center and after pasteing there is a wiggle. PAZ without stopping where I want and for as long as I want is extremely limited. Studio14 did this very well if you copied the settings and entered them accurately for the next stop. Avid has a bug in entering the data. When a new keyframe is created it should it should clone the nearest keyframe to it's left and allow you to enter new data. Poor Paul Holtz on the Complete Training video is embarrassed when trying to demo PAZ.
  •  04-14-2011, 11:14 468098 in reply to 467211

OK, Iearned some things about PAZ. First, in the Effects Editor you have a choice of "Corrections" "Pan and Zoom" and "Effects" Choose "Pan and Zoom" only for simple pre-set PAZ effects. To control PAZ on still photo (Ken Burns) choose "Effects" > "Camera" >Pan and Zoom"

In the "Effects" panel >"Select preset" to "No Preset" (this isn't available in the Pan and Zoom offered in Effects Editor window). Now you can create keyframes, copy and paste keyframes and the settings will behave in a normal manner. If a preset is selected, it seems to have priority the values are always there. 

BTW Zoom is limited to -100 to +100. Why? Dunno. 

•  04-14-2011, 13:45 468140 in reply to 468098

BillC:

..... To control PAZ on still photo (Ken Burns) choose "Effects" > "Camera" >Pan and Zoom"....

Not so sure about doing it that way being the best choice as I see a serious drop in picture quality. Just choosing "Effects" > "Camera" > Pan and Zoom" results in fuzzyness even without setting any zooming. 
    I seem to remember that DStone reported about this where he states that, if PAZ from whithin Effects is used on stills, the resolution of the stills would first be reduced to TL resolution and that the zooming will be applied on that reduced resolution making the "after zoom" result even worse.

Maybe DStone can post a link to that post/thread as I don't seem to be able to find it.

•  04-14-2011, 18:04 468189 in reply to 468140

I just did a test on a 1920x1080 jpg photo. 10 sec clip. Made two AVI-DV clips,  one using "Standard" PAZ and the other "Effects" PAZ. Both files are 73.1 MB size. I cannot detect any resolution "quality" difference when played back using Media Player. (Quicktime no good on uncompressed AVI files.)

I have seen earlier what appeared to be loss of resolution in preview window but I think that is when I had accidentally had BOTH PAZ's on the same photo.

Good luck to you. I'm happy with no wiggles. 

•  07-25-2011, 17:35 484003 in reply to 464440

DStone:

It's a problem of interpolation. This should work for you:

1. add the start and end keyframes where you want the image to hold still.
    2. Copy the start keyframe and then past it on the next frame.
    3. Copy the end keyframe and then past it on the previous frame.

So the keyframe timeline will have two keyframes for the start, and two keyframes for the end. The two inner keyframes force the P&Z to hold still.

I find it easiest when trying to exactly past keyframes to put the keyframe just somewhere conveniently near where I want and then drag it to it's final position.

Hope this helps.

I find when I do this that the point at which I want the zoom to stop there is a jump between the 2 keyframes even though the keyframes are exactly the same. It doesn't show this jump in the main frame just in the preview frame.  It ruins the effect of the zoom which should then stop and hold rather than stop, jump and hold!  HOWEVER when I preview on the timeline the zoom goes beyond the image even though it doesn't in preview and even though in the manual it seems to indicate this this wouldn't happen.   The good news is that there is no jump on the timeline.

Seriously I have been editing this one image for the past hour as, first, the zoom behaved as described in the first post and in the beginning you think it is you - new software and all that.  Then I found this post and I thought, great sorted (just the 45 mins wasted then), but then I discover this other problem and can't sort it.  So an hour wasted and not even one clip forward.  

thanks Julie

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy