Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Avid Studio much faster than S14

Last post 03-13-2011, 13:08 by mikescholes. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-10-2011, 21:12 460301

Avid Studio much faster than S14

After working with AS for many hours it is clearly MUCH faster than S14 as far as background rendering and working on the timeline.Big Smile A typical clip (30 second 720p mp4) with an intense effect such as Magic Bullet Looks background renders in a matter of seconds and 1080p clips not much longer. S14 on my system takes several minutes for the same effect to render.

The added performance makes it more than worth dealing with the issues I've encountered. Yes

•  03-10-2011, 21:46 460303 in reply to 460301

Re: Avid Studio much faster than S14

Hi Jim,

YesBig Smile

How's the CPU usage differ between the two, when rendering? Is AS definitely using all cores more effectively than S14?
    Looking to upgrade to something similar to what you have so performance is certainly of interest.

Regards

Colin

•  03-10-2011, 21:58 460304 in reply to 460303

cr1:

Hi Jim,

YesBig Smile

How's the CPU usage differ between the two, when rendering? Is AS definitely using all cores more effectively than S14?
    Looking to upgrade to something similar to what you have so performance is certainly of interest.

Regards

Colin

Yep, it lights up all 8 cores. Yes

•  03-11-2011, 5:43 460396 in reply to 460301

I would agree.  I worked on a project for a few hours yesterday and I didn't even notice the background rendering.  In Studio 14 I had to turn it off because it slowed down my work-flow.
  •  03-11-2011, 5:53 460400 in reply to 460396

How do you find final render times though? I'm moving from Powerdirector 9 (very buggy) and choosing a 1080 render with exactly the same properties on the same 1:17 clip took 40 seconds in PD and 1:29 in AS.
  •  03-11-2011, 5:57 460404 in reply to 460400

Powerdirect boasts Smartrender for AVCHD, doesn't it? (they call it something else). To compare like for like you need to turn that off.

Obviously, it would be good if AvStudio had that feature, but it doesn't speed up the render of any clips with effects added.

•  03-11-2011, 7:06 460436 in reply to 460404

jjn:
    ... AVCHD ... Obviously, it would be good if AvStudio had that feature, but it doesn't speed up the render of any clips with effects added.

Can anyone test the time it takes AS to render 1:00 of effect-free AVCHD clips to an AVCHD-DVD or BD-R disc image?  Perhaps AS recodes exports to file, but could it possibly avoid recoding of unadulterated clips concatenated to a disc image?  Or, if one edits clips, then exports them to a single (recoded) file, and then uses that file to create a disc, will AS recode it again?  Or will it "pass through" the file, without recoding or degradation, so long as its format conforms to the disc format parameters?  This is what the "smart render" of Nero 8 amounted to.

•  03-11-2011, 13:10 460562 in reply to 460404

jjn:

Powerdirect boasts Smartrender for AVCHD, doesn't it? (they call it something else). To compare like for like you need to turn that off.

Obviously, it would be good if AvStudio had that feature, but it doesn't speed up the render of any clips with effects added.

The speed quoted for PD was with SVRT off and hardware acceleration off. Switching hardware acceleration on in PD degrades the quality of the final render. I don't see anywhere is AS to use hardware acceleration. 

•  03-12-2011, 9:20 460777 in reply to 460562

mikescholes:
    jjn:

The speed quoted for PD was with SVRT off and hardware acceleration off. Switching hardware acceleration on in PD degrades the quality of the final render. I don't see anywhere is AS to use hardware acceleration. 

I have PowerDirector 9 and it screams through converting clips with all sorts of effects applied using hardware acceleration. I can't detect any degradation. But PD9 comes up way short on useful quality effects and correction capabilities and there is NO audio meter to monitor levels - so it's not even in the same league as AS.

•  03-13-2011, 13:08 460995 in reply to 460777

I would agree, AS has a lot more to offer than PD9, it just would have been nice if it matched the speed of PD9 both on the timeline and when final rendering. When I render the same clip twice in PD9 with HA on and off I can definitely pick up a loss in quality with HA on. It's not obvious but when you look closely at edges (In my flying videos I look at hedge lines) you can see artefacts with HA on. Almost like a jpeg with a bit too much compression. There is a lot on the PD forums about this and the guys with experience nearly all say they switch HA off. Now with AS I don't see any reference to hardware acceleration anywhere in the program. I wonder if they just haven't implemented it.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy