Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

XP Support for Avid Studio

Last post 03-01-2012, 7:13 by Tony P. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-28-2011, 20:09 457223

XP Support for Avid Studio

There is a poll currently running in feature requests about 3D.  Can we have a poll about Windows XP support for Avid Studio

•  02-28-2011, 22:52 457248 in reply to 457223

Re: XP Support for Avid Studio

I don't see the need, Avid studio is a new piece of software written for the next generation of chips, why would one expect them to dumb down the software, and by doing so, it would run slower. If they say from the start that it's written and tested in W7 (and Vista) then one would expect that if it ran in XP great, but if you have problems in XP don't call support because the spec says Vista or higher.

This is not a unreasonable thing, since XP has been EOL for some time now. If your even going to get to true 64bit NLE eventually, one has to start moving forward.

Now I would have a lot more sympathy if the did this with a product like studio 15, because I lot of people are coming up from prior versions so that might be a little early to start demanding a vista or higher only system. But on a new piece of software, Id put all my resource in writing for the next generation, not the past generation you already have a product that does that.

•  02-28-2011, 23:24 457251 in reply to 457248

ghuck:

I don't see the need, Avid studio is a new piece of software written for the next generation of chips, why would one expect them to dumb down the software, and by doing so, it would run slower. If they say from the start that it's written and tested in W7 (and Vista) then one would expect that if it ran in XP great, but if you have problems in XP don't call support because the spec says Vista or higher.

This is not a unreasonable thing, since XP has been EOL for some time now. If your even going to get to true 64bit NLE eventually, one has to start moving forward.

Now I would have a lot more sympathy if the did this with a product like studio 15, because I lot of people are coming up from prior versions so that might be a little early to start demanding a vista or higher only system. But on a new piece of software, Id put all my resource in writing for the next generation, not the past generation you already have a product that does that.

Completely agree with every part of what you've said --

I actually find it odd that both Dazza and Randy -- experienced videographers and editors -- haven't upgraded to newer more powerful systems.

What holds you guys back ??  Is it because XP is a more comfortable UI environment ??

Personally I hate Win7's tyrannical inflexibility in navigating and configuring things. But Vista has almost all the advantages of Win7, with almost none of its crap.

Going forward, PCs that leverage the power of modern CPUs/GPUs  are going to run Vista & 7  -- especially the 64-bit versions of those OSes.

Keeping S15 XP compatible while writing a new NLE optimized for the future makes the most sense for both advanced and ordinary users.

Just because you guys want to stay with your legacy systems, it doesn't mean that everyone else ought be hobbled until EVERYONE is ready to move on. 

•  03-01-2011, 18:08 457554 in reply to 457251

BARYE:
    Personally I hate Win7's tyrannical inflexibility in navigating and configuring things. 

That's one of two things that is the most frustrating thing about W7, everything points to common folders, obviously written by a facebook generation that does not have kids, but they will learn the hard way!

The second thing is W7 insisting on snapping Windows to the corners when you move then, it works OK only until you have a wide screen monitor, I guess nobody at Microsoft is allowed to have a wide screen or they would be screaming how this keeps making windows overly large among other things.

•  03-05-2011, 9:37 458423 in reply to 457223

Dazza Gee:

There is a poll currently running in feature requests about 3D.  Can we have a poll about Windows XP support for Avid Studio

Why have a poll for a dying breed??? Move on or get left behind.

•  03-05-2011, 12:03 458449 in reply to 458423

Bellford Jack:
    Dazza Gee:

I think we have all moved past this now BJ, but FWIW, remember that more than 50% of people on this forum still use XP.

•  03-05-2011, 12:42 458456 in reply to 458449

Like I said in the AS forum, it turns out that AS may run under XP. It's completely unsupported, and dependent on your system. See the posting HERE. If you decide to try it, and things don't work as expected, or continually crash, or cause you to grow green tentacles out of your knees, please do not complain.
  •  07-07-2011, 21:10 481607 in reply to 458456

Weinberg's Law:
    If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
    Weinberg's Law:
    If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
    Weinberg's Law:

Weinberg's Law:
    Weinberg's Law:
    it seems to be the new way of life, no pride in the product, in longevity, every thing is to last as long as a AAA battery and be thrown away!

what is all this talk about win 7 being so fast when every piece of software is running in the background eating up the ram. maybe it's time i should be following advise and go with that piece of fruit!!

•  01-18-2012, 1:57 510373 in reply to 457248

Just because an operating system is newer doesn't mean it is faster.
    Vista was a disaster and not in the same league as XP.
    Windows 7 X64 bit runs slower on Studio 15 Hi Def rendering than XP Pro X32 bit even with W7 using 16 GB of RAM and XP only using 3 GB of RAM.
    And XP can be trimmed to use much less drive space - important if you use a solid state C drive.

cesilb - a long time Studio user.,

•  01-18-2012, 3:09 510377 in reply to 510373

cesilb:

Just because an operating system is newer doesn't mean it is faster.
    Windows 7 X64 bit runs slower on Studio 15 Hi Def rendering than XP Pro X32 bit even with W7 using 16 GB of RAM and XP only using 3 GB of RAM.
    And XP can be trimmed to use much less drive space - important if you use a solid state C drive.

cesilb - a long time Studio user.,

Microsoft no longer support XP SP2. SP3 Support ends in 2014.

•  01-18-2012, 3:25 510380 in reply to 458423

Bellford Jack:
    Dazza Gee:

There is a poll currently running in feature requests about 3D. 

Has BJ finally realized that 3D was stillborn?  Confused
  •  01-18-2012, 4:04 510383 in reply to 510373

cesilb:

you are poorly informed.

I can freely choose any OS I want,  and I use Vista 64.

When first released Vista definitely had glitches -- and the available hardware (and drivers for them) was not ready.

And to make things worse, M$ & Intel allowed PC makers to improperly promote PCs as Vista "ready" when they knew they were not.

Also the initial iteration of M$'s "user account control" was brutal and idiotic -- and justifyably alienated Vista users.

All this lead to frustrated early Vista users, and cemented a tainted image for this OS in the general public's mind.

But subsequent evolutions of hardware and drivers  (in part because of Win7 compatibility)  have overcome the early hardware troubles. And later patches and upgrades to Vista make it at least as stable as Win 7 while being arguably faster. But most importantly, it is a MUCH more user friendly UI to experienced Windows users.

Win 7 64 and Vista 64 are largely interchangeable underneath -- but on the UI level Vista is much better.

•  01-18-2012, 12:22 510450 in reply to 510383

I have to agree with BARYE. On it's launch, Vista was a disaster. Lots of hardware incompatibilities everywhere. New drivers for lots of things had to come out, and took some time. But once everything settled down, Vista was very stable and worked.
  •  02-29-2012, 21:36 518716 in reply to 457223

XP is still a great OS....So good that people just won't let it go. I still run it on multiple computers, but not for video editing. Let's let Avid move forward and worry about fixing the existing bugs and implement enhancements on Windows 7, such as 64-bit and Cuda support.

As for 3D; I couldn't care less....but that is just a personal preference. There may be a market for it for a while, but I think it's just a fad...just like it was in the 50's and 70's.

•  03-01-2012, 7:13 518815 in reply to 518716

Also add Open CL. Not everyone has Nvidia cards.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy