Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

Last post 04-18-2011, 13:58 by R_Vera. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-12-2010, 4:30 438980

Idea [I] PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

Attachment: DVCap.zip

In the past weeks we did a lot of tests with users, mostly from Germany. These tests showed different results. Thank you to those involved for their cooperation

Today we can see three different cases

1. the connected unit is a MovieBox DV
    2. the system has problems with DirectX (VMR9)
    3. the system needs a new PcleCapture.DLL

Regarding 1. we are unfortunatelly at the end. The  MovieBox DV is not supported by Studio 14.

I would like to create a new test scenario and will start with issue 2. Pleas download the attached file DVCap.zip and extract it to a folder of your choice. The zip-file contains a tiny program named DVCap.exe which works stand alone i.e. it doesn’t use any parts of Studio 14.

Plug your camera to your fire-wire port, switch it on and switch it to Play. Now start DVCap.exe. Please note: users of Windows Vista or Windows 7 may set the exe file to XP compatible (right-click on DVCap.exe, properties, compatibility, tick the checkbox for compatibility mode and select Windows XP in the pull-down menu).

Now a Window like a Dos-Window opens and after it a Window with the title “ActiveMovie Window” should open. In this window you should see your video.

The windows will either close by itself or you can close them by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the DOS-window.

If the video was visible please continue with Step 2 (next posting).

If you didn’t see a Video, the DirectX filter chain, the base for Studio 14, doesn’t work properly. In this case a new installation, including operating system, may be necessary. You should find a file named “dv_cap_log.txt” in the root of partition c:\. If it contains something else than “All tests passed well" please post the content here in the forum.

•  12-12-2010, 4:34 438981 in reply to 438980

Attachment: PcleCaptureDV_V40.zip

With this step 2 we will install a new version of  PcleCaptureDV.dll

Please download the attached Zip-File PcleCaptureDV_V40.zip and unzip it into a folder of your choice. This is not the file version of the other beta patch.

Then please follow the instructions:

• Studio 14 may not be running.
    • Rename the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which is located in the installation folder of Studio 14 to PcleCaptureDV_temp.dll.
      With Windows 7 this file is located in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture.
      If using another operating system you will find it in the folder C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture\
    • Then copy the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which you decompressed before to the folder in which you just renamed the original file.
    • You should now see in the folder both the new and the renamed original file.
    • Launch Studio 14 and open the importer

Now capturing PAL DV footage should be possible

Please post the result of your test here in this forum. Thanks in advance for your feedback

PS: the attached DLL is in a Beta state. Scene detection will not be performed during capturing. Nevertheless scene detection can be performed afterwards.

•  12-26-2010, 2:31 442133 in reply to 438981

Re: PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

Thank you so much IngolfZ.   At last I can capture from my PAL Panasonic DV camcorder NF-GS75.  Before I had to use AMCap or similar.  However, my gratitude to you doesn't change my New Year Resolution to find an alternative video editing suite.  I've been with Pinnacle since V8  and it's always been a battle capturing, editing and rendering, and inevitably the root causes were flaws in Pinnacle's software  - yet their support department consistently advised other time consuming and fruitless remedies.  I now don't really care about the initial cost of whatever new software I buy, - so long as it delivers solid performance.  If I was to count the hours spent and failed DVD burns, I'd find that I have invested a fortune in Pinnacle.

Thanks again for your fix.

•  01-24-2011, 6:12 449159 in reply to 442133

This worked perfectly, never had any problems using Studio 9 but had to upgrade to Win 7 on a new pc and Studio 14.

Thank you very much

•  02-02-2011, 4:59 450962 in reply to 438981

Followed your advice. Now it is possible to import from my DV cam Panasonic NV-GS230. Thank you very much.

However, from the second one I have, (AVCHD cam), Panasonic HDC-SD9 still not possible.

Anyway, I will change to an other video editing program, due to the bad performance from Avid/Pinnacle. I do not know what will be the next problem with this Studio HD 14 Ultimate program.

•  02-03-2011, 9:39 451178 in reply to 450962

However, from the second one I have, (AVCHD cam), Panasonic HDC-SD9 still not possible.

Use import from other device, or using "Edit" browse for video content option.

Added:

Check out this FAQ.

•  02-06-2011, 14:56 451746 in reply to 438981

This patch worked well for me (Panasonic NV-GS 230 + Windows XP). Thanks.
  •  02-07-2011, 11:25 451900 in reply to 438981

DLL patch works well with Panasonic NV-GS230 and Windows 7 64-bit - Thanks
  •  02-07-2011, 22:45 451984 in reply to 451900

Thanks to all for the feedback
  •  02-13-2011, 3:36 452832 in reply to 438981

You have made my day. It works with my Panasonic HNV-GS180. Thank you very much.
  •  03-10-2011, 8:30 460065 in reply to 438981

Betreft: PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

I did do everything you discribed and it seems to work, I used to import my video's on an external Hardrive, but changed that too, now I want to import the video's to an internal drive (D:\ my documents\my video) but now the firewire does not work properly. In device manager my Sonu dv camcorder appaers and disappears, I did install the latest drivers for my VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, I still keep having troubles....

PLEASE HELP!

•  03-10-2011, 9:43 460097 in reply to 460065

Re: Betreft: PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

Just for some clarification, the camcorder works if you save the capture video on your external harddrive, and it does not work when save in the internal one.
  •  03-10-2011, 23:24 460324 in reply to 460065

AW: Betreft: PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

lbfginsel:
    In device manager my Sonu dv camcorder appaers and disappears, ...
    This sounds like a defect 1394 interface (either in the cam or in the computer) or a defect 1394 cable (loose contact). As long as Windows doesn't detect the camera reliable, Pinnacle Studio can not work with it reliable.
  •  03-19-2011, 3:12 462517 in reply to 438981

IngolfZ:

With this step 2 we will install a new version of  PcleCaptureDV.dll

Please download the attached Zip-File PcleCaptureDV_V40.zip and unzip it into a folder of your choice. This is not the file version of the other beta patch.

Then please follow the instructions:

• Studio 14 may not be running.
    • Rename the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which is located in the installation folder of Studio 14 to PcleCaptureDV_temp.dll.
      With Windows 7 this file is located in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture.
      If using another operating system you will find it in the folder C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture\
    • Then copy the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which you decompressed before to the folder in which you just renamed the original file.
    • You should now see in the folder both the new and the renamed original file.
    • Launch Studio 14 and open the importer

Now capturing PAL DV footage should be possible

Please post the result of your test here in this forum. Thanks in advance for your feedback

PS: the attached DLL is in a Beta state. Scene detection will not be performed during capturing. Nevertheless scene detection can be performed afterwards.

After following these steps Studio 14 still fails to detect the signal from the 710-USB. "Windows Movie Maker" can capture from the device so i would assume that its drivers and the card work fine so the problem lies with "Studio 14"

•  03-19-2011, 5:25 462534 in reply to 462517

Sorry, this patch is determined for FireWire (IEEE1394) issues only
  •  03-29-2011, 11:53 464606 in reply to 438981

Betreft: PAL DV capture issue with Studio 14, new tests

Thanks, this dll file works for me, but I am not totally content with Studio 14, a lot of problems with Hollywood FX and it seems not possible to store my projects on an external 1,5 TB Hard disk, so I have to use an internal one and copy the captured video to the external HD....
  •  04-18-2011, 10:14 468875 in reply to 438981

Hi

I did exactly as you suggested, but Import still does not work. What now?

Thanks

Chris 

•  04-18-2011, 13:58 468938 in reply to 438980

What kind of computer are you using? Laptop or Desktop

What OS does it has? XP, Vista, W7

I believe your moviebox is  not compatible with Studio 14 or above. It is only compatible with Studio 12 or below.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy