Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Client doesnt have serial number...cant install software

Last post 09-07-2010, 9:21 by bittmann. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-02-2010, 4:55 419320

Client doesnt have serial number...cant install software

Hi,

Ive setup a Pinnacle Showcentre 200 and I just need to install the software on one of their machines but I need the serial number to do so....Problem is, there isnt anything on the device itself and they dont have any reference to it.

How can I get it??

Thanks,

•  09-02-2010, 10:15 419375 in reply to 419320

Re: Client doesnt have serial number...cant install software

Moved from Studio Installation and Setup to DMA - Digital Media Adapters Show Center.

•  09-02-2010, 23:46 419487 in reply to 419375

Can you please post a link? When I try searching for the page it errors with an "oops" message...
  •  09-03-2010, 5:57 419548 in reply to 419487

You may have to forgo the Pinnacle software if you can't get it to install.  Honestly, there are alternatives that are quite a bit nicer, such as using UPnP functionality which can be served from in recent Windows Media Player versions (you'll need to update the firmware on the Showcenter 200 to the latest Beta firmware version in order to use UPnP -- this effectively makes the 200 have the same capabilities as a Showcenter 250), and/or run one of the alternate community-developed servers such as SwissCenter.

As for me:  I use my ShowCenter 200 (with Beta firmware) to play media stored on a network-attached-storage device that serves media via UPnP, and via a community-developed server (MTPServer on Linux, in my case).  I tried the Pinnacle software and found it to be cumbersome and unreliable.  Add to that the complete lack of software support from Pinnacle (the support for Pinnacle Media Manager has been absent for some time now -- sorry, but it's true), and I believe that you'll be happier with one of the alternatives.

If I were in your position, I'd probably start with SwissCenter and see what your client thinks of the result.

BittMann

•  09-03-2010, 8:17 419565 in reply to 419487

JACEZ-ABBYY-BHPHN-AAALM-HIVAW

but seriously use something else

•  09-05-2010, 23:15 419909 in reply to 419565

Haha thanks guys...yeah they said they were willing to scratch it altogether and go with something new, I just wanted to at least try to get their old thing working before replacing it...

I'll checkout that SwissCentre you mentioned, basically the boss needs to do weekly forecasts from his machine. Instead of having everyone huddle around his laptop he would prefer to just display the info on the 43" LCD in the same office. Will that SwissCentre be adequate for that?

•  09-07-2010, 9:21 420135 in reply to 419909

Is the "weekly forecast" a video file that you play back (e.g. with Windows Media Player)?  If so, then yes, that's the sort of thing that the Showcenter is used for...assuming that the video file is in a Showcenter-compatible format (not h.264, in an AVI, MPEG or WMV container).  Showcenter does DivX, (most older) WMV, and MPEG1 & 2 without much drama.  Other containers/other formats may require transcoding before the Showcenter can display them.

If the "weekly forecast" is something that is originated by the Boss' desktop (e.g. a PowerPoint, a review of a spreadsheet, etc.) then the best thing to do might be to let a computer directly drive the LCD itself, via analog RGB (SVGA) or DVI/HDMI.  That's what we do, here, anyhow.

BittMann

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy