Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Dazzle DVD Recorder output size

Last post 08-15-2010, 1:38 by Tautala. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-05-2010, 14:11 403279

Dazzle DVD Recorder output size

When I try to record a 93 minute VHS to disk with the Automatic Video Quality setting it says I can record 189 minutes but I end up with a VIDEO_TS folder that is over 6 GB.  I know that a DVDs can hold movies that are longer than 93 minutes.  What's up?

Thanks in advance

Wayne

•  06-07-2010, 10:22 403574 in reply to 403279

Re: Dazzle DVD Recorder output size

Your recording to your HDD or DVD disc?
  •  06-07-2010, 12:01 403602 in reply to 403574

I'm recording to my hard drive to put on a DVD.  I had trouble with direct to DVD before and read somewhere that going to hard drive worked better.  But since I have 400 GB free on my hard drive, I was assuming the 189 minute number was for a 4.7 GB DVD, not 400 GB hard drive.
  •  06-08-2010, 10:36 403791 in reply to 403602

A DVD-r  disc at automatic quality can hold a total of 103 minutes.
  •  06-08-2010, 14:13 403867 in reply to 403791

Nice information but how does it help me with my problem.  I recorded 93 minutes and ended up with more than 6 GB of data, more data than can fit on a DVD.

But that leaves me with two questions.

1) Can you explain why 93 minutes of VHS video created a folder that was over 6 GB? 

2) Are you saying that the Dazzle software will produce smaller files if I record directly to DVD?

•  06-11-2010, 16:43 404514 in reply to 403867

1) Can you explain why 93 minutes of VHS video created a folder that was over 6 GB?

Did you used Best quality when you output the project?

2) Are you saying that the Dazzle software will produce smaller files if I record directly to DVD?

The Instant DVD recorder will automatically calculate the video file that will fit on the disc according to quality used.

•  06-18-2010, 22:43 405776 in reply to 403279

I agree with most above posters.

Uggs

Ugg boots

•  08-15-2010, 1:38 415625 in reply to 404514

Raff_Uy:

Did you used Best quality when you output the project?

The Instant DVD recorder will automatically calculate the video file that will fit on the disc according to quality used.

Tried again.  Tried to record 120 minutes at "Good" quality and ended up with more data in my VIDEO_TS folder than can fit on 1 DVD.  It was close, but too big.  I'm using ImgBurn to create an ISO files and then put it on DVD.  Then I tried setting the record time to 130 minutes but stopping at 120.  The folder was smaller but it was still to big to fit one DVD .  

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance..

OK, I read more (I guess it pays to read the documentation or search the forums) and found that when recording directly to DVD you can on only put 103 minutes but when going to HDD I can record 189 minutes (why limit the recording size at all?).  That is what cconfused me.  Why would I want to record to HDD and make files that are to big to fit on a DVD?  I would like to be able to put my recording on HDD, check it out etrc and then transfer to DVD.  If the files created on HDD don't fit on a DVD, what's the point?  It seems like I have to go straight to DVD and hope for the best.  If there are any problems I waste a disk and try again.

I think a feature that lets me record to HDD but with all the size calculations to match a real DVD would be a real useful feature.  If I want to make several copies of a video, it seems easiest to put everything on HDD first and then burn multiple DVD's from that.  Doesn't that seem like a good idea?  So what size does recording to HDD try to fit into?

The software says that if I record to DVD at "Better" quality I can record 77 minutes.  Am I guaranteed that if I record 60 minutes to HDD that it will fit on the DVD?

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy