Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

mpeg2 crashes -- just started -- was working fine

Last post 07-21-2010, 15:35 by Raff_Uy. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-11-2010, 13:06 409357

mpeg2 crashes -- just started -- was working fine

Hi, I have a Vaio running an Intell Pentium 4cpu 1.80GH, 512mb ram.  It has the all-in-wonder Radeon 7500 card.  I'm running studio 8.5.  This is a computer I've had for several years to just burn DVDs, etc.  It's not connected to the internet.

Recently. I get the messages, "An error has occured and the system must close" whenever I try to convert a file I have captured.  This is a new problem.  I have done this for years with no issue.  I capture shows I have taped off tv, edit out commercials and save as an mpeg 2.  I then use a different software to burtn to dvd. This issue just started.  It only happens when I try to go to an mpeg 2 file.  If I try to go to avi or mpeg1, no issues.  I have deleted the entire studio file and re-installed twice to no effect.  Any suggestions as to what caused this or how to fix it?  Thanks

•  07-11-2010, 14:01 409365 in reply to 409357

Re: mpeg2 crashes -- just started -- was working fine

Can you do a system restore to a time before you had this problem.

•  07-11-2010, 14:08 409366 in reply to 409365

Went back to the furthest date, about 3months ago.  It didn't solve the issue. 
  •  07-11-2010, 14:38 409369 in reply to 409357

"An error has occured and the system must close"

This looks like a Windows error message which is why I suggested the roll back. The fault may or may not be caused by S8. Looking at the error logs may indicate where the fault lies. I only have W7 now so cannot now advise on XP.

To recap, you capture the tapes as avi (I think S8 only does that) and then output as mpeg2. Does the error occur when you are trying to output the file (and at what point) or after the file has been created and when trying to use it in the other software.

Somehow you need to track down the origin of the error i.e. file, dll or driver etc.

•  07-11-2010, 15:12 409375 in reply to 409369

I filter the video/audio through my camcorder to help with digitalization.  It's captured as DV full quality video.  I then use Pinnacle studio 8 to edit and remove commercials.  I then save the edited file as an mpeg 2 to use with other software in creating a dvd with menus / chapters/ etc.  I've been doing this for years.  It then suddenly starting giving me the "error has occured" message and closing the program.  After much experimentation, I discovered it only happens when saving/converting to mpeg 2.  I use the pre-set "dvd compatable" setting in the studio 8 program.  If I would try to save as an avi or mpeg 1, it proceeds to save.  It's just the mpeg 2.  As I said I've been doing this for years and it suddenly started.  The computer is not connected to the internet.  I un-installed and re-installed twice and used the updated patch for my version from the pinnacle website.  I can't figure it out.
  •  07-11-2010, 15:21 409377 in reply to 409375

That sounds like quite a serious error and might be hardware related - perhaps using areas of RAM that don't get used by other processes?

Might be worth running a memory testing program if you aren't connected to the internet and haven't installed any software recently.

•  07-11-2010, 16:18 409383 in reply to 409375

Since you have already tried reinstalling S8 to no effect, you could also try a repair of the operating system.

Otherwise try a free or trial version of some other editing program. At least it might help to narrow down the cause.

Looking at the S8 manual I see that it does capture in mpeg. It would be interesting to see if it still did this.

•  07-12-2010, 10:41 409501 in reply to 409383

I un-installed and re-installed twice and used the updated patch for my version from the pinnacle website.  I can't figure it out.
    Did you used the regedelete tools in the process, you might want to give it a try.
  •  07-21-2010, 15:22 411055 in reply to 409501

Problem solved.  One of the software programs to copy disc had been installed (Roxio).  To be safe I had also unistalled this program before re-installing Studio 8 the last time.  Apparently it had installed a codec pack under another name (Sonic)so it as not caught when the other program was deleted.  I have also used a sonic program to put the completed file on dvd since day one so I never thought anything about it at first.  It was the fact that the Roxio symbol was attached which made me delete it.  As soon as it was gone, the program worked again with no issues.  Thanks to everyone who offered suggestion and help.
  •  07-21-2010, 15:35 411058 in reply to 411055

Thanks for posting back.Yes
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy