Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Importing DV tapes using PAL DV Camcorders using Studio 14

Last post 12-12-2010, 4:25 by IngolfZ. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (55 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-10-2010, 8:49 398897

Importing DV tapes using PAL DV Camcorders using Studio 14

At time not every model of DV Camcorder can be used to import PAL DV tapes by Firewire (IEEE1394) using Studio 14. Usually the device can be controlled but there is no preview of picture and sound in the capture window available and the format is being recognized as NTSC instead of  PAL.

There are two chances to get the import working with most devices again. Try the following:

1. Install another OHCI driver for the IEEE1394 connection. As there exist many divers and operating systems it is not possible to give a detailed guide for all combinations. You can find a guide for Windows 7 here. Usually with Windows 7 a legacy driver must be installed.

2. If that doesn't help, download the Archiv PcleCaptureDV.zip and decompress into a folder of your choice. There are three files in the archive:

• PcleCaptureDV.dll
    • PcleCapture_NTSC.reg
    • PcleCapture_PAL.reg

Perform as follows:

1. Studio 14 may not be running.
    2. Rename the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which is located in the installation folder of Studio 14 to PcleCaptureDV_temp.dll. With Windows 7 this file is located in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture. If using another operating system you will find it in the folder C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 14\Import\programs\PCLE.Capture\
    3. Copy then the file PcleCaptureDV.dll which you decompressed before to the folder in which you just renamed the original file.
    4. You should now see in the folder both the new and the renamed original file.
    5. Double click then the file PcleCapture_PAL.reg and confirm the questions to change the registry with OK.
    6. Start Studio 14 and try to import a DV Pal tape using the Firewire port.
    7. Only  if you want to import NTSC tapes using the Firewire port and you do have an according playback device you need to double click the file PcleCapture_NTSC.

Note: Exchanging the file PcleCaptureDV.dll hasn't been fully tested and thusfor the status is BETA. Further to that there is an error: The option "Scene Detection" is not available during importing. Nonetheless Scene detection can be applied to the clip once it has been imported.

Should you not be able to import PAL DV tapes using the Firewire port please post here a short note with the information of the exact model of the camera and the operating system. It would help as well to know if you could solve the problem.

•  05-10-2010, 11:20 398941 in reply to 398897

Re: Importing DV tapes using PAL DV Camcorders using Studio 14

It seems this piece of information was very much awaited for.

Unfortunately in my case your suggestions did not work at all.

I tried 3 different Firewire OHCI drivers (among that 2 legacy including the older one), and I administered the DLL-fix solution.

What I experience is that my device (JVC DV Camcorder GR-DV700) is not recognized by

Studio 14, it is somehow detected though, as connecting the device triggers the launch of Studio.

What is interesting is the fact that I CAN capture with the bundled tool: AM Capture, which suggests that it is rather a software (Studio 14 related issue).

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

•  05-10-2010, 16:29 399036 in reply to 398897

Thank you Hans for your suggestions. Unfortunately, in my case, changing the dll did not work but at least it gave me another option to try.

I first posted about my problem last October.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/post/349000.aspx

I carried out tests with combiations of Studios 8, 10.8, 14 and 14trial on Operating Systems XP, Win7 and Win7RC. In all cases I had no problem in controlling the camcorder or previewing the SD DV tape from a Sony DCR-PC8 PAL camcorder. However, when capturing, the situation was somewhat different. With S8 and S10.8 I could capture easily (as I have done for some years) with moderate CPU usage for both AVI and MPEG captures. In S14 the AVI capture was successful but the CPU was significantly higher and for MPEG the CPU was at 100%. Furthermore the indicated capture time was only about half the actual time but surprisingly no dropped frames were indicated. The video and sound were stuttery. These results were the same irrespective of operating system.

The general conclusion was that S14 uses a lot more resources during the capture process (too much for me using MPEG). Enquiring from customer support, I was eventually told that there was no difference in the capture process between the various versions of Studio but I must say that is not my experience. I was hoping that your archive dll (if it is based on previous versions) might have provided a solution but alas that is not the case. Perhaps the sound is the problem.

I would welcome any further suggestions.

Athlon64 3200+ (2.2Ghz), Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb, 1Gb ram.

•  05-19-2010, 23:57 400721 in reply to 398897

Hello Hans and thanx for this suggestion.

I will try that, regarding to my thread here: http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/362652.aspx 
    I,m using a Canon XM II DV camcorder.

//Aake
    Sweden

•  05-20-2010, 2:03 400737 in reply to 398897

Ok, Hans....It has no effect at all regarding to my problem with bad/hacking prewiev, and as You told, The option "Scene detection" was not available in this Beta. I´m capturing during Win XP SP3 from free runninng Camera, without running DV-tape. (Canon XM II (2) )
    I have also made a test with Canon XM I (1) with same beavior.

Capturing through Canopus ADVC 110 connected to firewire and input analog videosource like VHS, Beta or Hi-8  to Canopus device works great!

•  05-20-2010, 14:58 400853 in reply to 398897

Hi Hans

Thank you for this, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure what was going wrong.

I am running WinXP and have a Canon XM2 Mini DV Camcorder and have just bought a full version of Studio 14 Ultimate to replace Studio 10.  I have noticed that my PC slows up considerably when I click 'Start Capture', which may be caused by the importer.exe file thatis using nearly all of my memory. (87%)

The import screen recognises the camera connected through a Firewire port but no video is displayed when I press play on the camera.  Clicking 'Start Capture' very often results in a crash.  The Start Capture button does not switch to Stop Capture, the only way of stopping the capture process is to turn off the camera.  Obviously what is captured is unreadable.

I will read through the suggestions above and see what happens and I will let you know.  If it doesn't fix it I must presume that Studio 14 is not fit for purpose?

Regards

Fotoman

•  06-02-2010, 0:22 402443 in reply to 398897

Re:Importing DV tapes using PAL DV Camcorders using Studio 14

Hello Hans,

Unfortunately these two tips didn't work for me. I tried changing the IEEE-1394 driver to a legacy one and replacing the dll you indicated (+ registry update), but I still have the message in Capture mode, that says (roughly translated from French : "Getting the picture failed" in the preview zone of the screen).

My camcorder is a Panasonic NV-GS180 (PAL) and I'm running Studio 14 on a brand new laptop Toshiba P500-17D (Windows 64 bits Home Premium, IEEE-1394 link).

I tried Am CAP and AVS and everything works fine with these softwares.

Is there anything else to try ?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

•  06-11-2010, 11:08 404444 in reply to 398897

After my contact with the Avid support centre - who advised me to update the driver of my graphic card - the capture of my DV tapes was working as it was ment to be!
  •  06-16-2010, 14:17 405391 in reply to 398897

Okay....When can we expect any updates/Beta for Studio 14 and specially for Importer? I have been waiting now and test all suggestions I can found since November last year...Sad

•  06-26-2010, 15:00 406964 in reply to 405391

I have a similar problem.  I have a Panasonic NV-GS400 video camera (PAL), but it is not recognised by Studio 14. I cannot therefore use Pinnacle Studio 14 to import video.  I can however import video to my computer using Windows Live Movie Maker, but it splits the file into scenes at the end of the import process, which makes the imported video very cumbersome to use with Studio 14.

How can I get Pinnacle Studio 14 to recognise my camera and use it to import video?

•  06-26-2010, 15:57 406966 in reply to 406964

PhilLondon:

I have a similar problem.  I have a Panasonic NV-GS400 video camera (PAL), but it is not recognised by Studio 14. I cannot therefore use Pinnacle Studio 14 to import video.  I can however import video to my computer using Windows Live Movie Maker, but it splits the file into scenes at the end of the import process, which makes the imported video very cumbersome to use with Studio 14.

How can I get Pinnacle Studio 14 to recognise my camera and use it to import video?

Have you seen this post HERE?
  •  07-01-2010, 12:54 407925 in reply to 398897

I have a problem importing DV tapes using a PAL DV camcorder and Studio 14, but I am using a USB connection.  Is your fix only relevant for imports via firewire?

•  07-01-2010, 14:10 407941 in reply to 398897

Hi Hans_H,

thx for the workaround, but it does not solve the slow+junky importer problem, which exist ONLY IN STUDIO 14 (bought download version)

I use WinXP-SP3 + Sony DCR-PC330 (MiniDV+1394), and Studio11 works without problem, there is live preview during the cpature.

STUDIO 14 importer is SLOW, and preview is junky. Product is 8 months old, and there is no patch for this problem.

I do not prefer anyone to pay for STUDIO 14 until the critical errors are not repaired.

•  07-01-2010, 23:27 407980 in reply to 407925

PhilLondon:

I have a problem importing DV tapes using a PAL DV camcorder and Studio 14, but I am using a USB connection.  Is your fix only relevant for imports via firewire?

The USB connection on DV cameras is normally only for transferring still pictures, not video. Maybe that's your problem?
  •  07-02-2010, 10:41 408068 in reply to 407980

No that's not the problem.  I can import using Windows Live Movie Maker via the USB connection and a pre Windows 7 version of the Panasonic load software also worked; so the issue is something else - unless you're telling me that Pinnacle can only recognise Camcorders using a Firewire connection.
  •  07-02-2010, 10:58 408077 in reply to 408068

How about if you used the Edit menu and  browse for the video.
  •  07-02-2010, 11:31 408086 in reply to 408068

PhilLondon:
    No that's not the problem.  I can import using Windows Live Movie Maker via the USB connection and a pre Windows 7 version of the Panasonic load software also worked; so the issue is something else - unless you're telling me that Pinnacle can only recognise Camcorders using a Firewire connection.
    That's a miniDV camera? Pinnacle can only load DV tapes via firewire, certainly. If it is a file based camera Studio can import via USB. What is the model number?
  •  07-02-2010, 15:41 408129 in reply to 408086

It's a mini DV camera.  It's a Panasonic NV-GS400.
  •  07-03-2010, 3:48 408197 in reply to 408129

Someone with the same camera may correct me here, but Pinnacle Studio has never to my knowledge been able to import DV video via USB. What is worse is that although your camera has a firewire socket, looking at the online manual it appears as if it is wired for input to the camera only. It appears Panasonic have chosen to make a DV camera with a different connection method that the vast majority, and then not keep it's software up to date. It looks as if you can also record video to the SD card? Studio should see that in the other devices section of the importer via USB.

Having said that, there are a number of posts on this forum from GS400 owners that seem to be transferring via firewire successfully (do a search for GS400), but perhaps the US model has more facilities. Of course, if your computer doesn't have a firewire port anyway, this is somewhat academic.

•  07-13-2010, 3:41 409634 in reply to 408197

Well this is the first time I've had reason to import into Studio, normally our other computers are used and they run AVS capture or we use Studio 12. I was amazed to see i got strange results and thought I must have set the camera up wrong, I am importing from a Sony FVR-HD1000E using the camera's own down convert from 1080i to 720 x 576. Spent about an hour messing about and then tried to do it in Studio 12, no problems whatsoever, 720 x 576 16:9, whereas Studio 14 only gives 720 x 480 in 4:3. Then I checked the forum and surprise surpirse if it isn't another backward step by pinnacle! First they dump Smartsound and then they make the importer unusable! What a JOKE! Pinnacle are you deliberately trying to lose customers?

Please sort this out in the long awaited and very much overdue patch for this otherwise great product. At this rate we'll still be using Studio 12 in 10 years! I was thinking of buying Media Composer from Avid but with the amount of problems Studio has had and still has there's no way I'd part with several grand.

•  08-08-2010, 3:49 414308 in reply to 398897

Hi

I´ve the same problem and wanted to use the PS14 to capture film from my Sony dcr-trv255e using hi8-tapes. I read in the manual from Ps (Studio HD, user manual, s35) there FireWire, i.Link, IEEE1394 is supported! You can use dazzle and usb 500/510 and 700/710.

How can these brand new program from PS dont support FireWire and if you want to use your tapes you have to install PS9 and older.......?

The issue for me is the same as for the others and I can also confirm that PS14 are using all the hardware You have in your computer for no use!

•  08-08-2010, 4:07 414309 in reply to 414308

I'm not sure I understand your post. S14 should in theory support firewire. If you are finding it doesn't work, have you tried the These fixes and the BETA PATCH?
  •  08-08-2010, 5:05 414312 in reply to 414308

M A:

Hi

I´ve the same problem and wanted to use the PS14 to capture film from my Sony dcr-trv255e using hi8-tapes. I read in the manual from Ps (Studio HD, user manual, s35) there FireWire, i.Link, IEEE1394 is supported! You can use dazzle and usb 500/510 and 700/710.

How can these brand new program from PS dont support FireWire and if you want to use your tapes you have to install PS9 and older.......?

The issue for me is the same as for the others and I can also confirm that PS14 are using all the hardware You have in your computer for no use!

Our local TRV255 models cannot play/convert 8 or Hi8 tapes ....................... irrespective of capture/editing software

No use having a working DV port/facility if the cam cannot do the job to start with 

•  08-08-2010, 5:43 414313 in reply to 414312

LvR

Our local TRV255 models cannot play/convert 8 or Hi8 tapes ....................... irrespective of capture/editing software

No use having a working DV port/facility if the cam cannot do the job to start with 

I do not doubt that your knowledge on this issue is better than mine. However, looking at the specs, I see that it has a variety of outputs which I would have assumed could be used to transfer the video.  Yes, it does also say that it cannot play 8/high8 video (I need to look again for the exact words) but is this within the cam for viewing or refer to external input (there isn't any). This has me a bit confused. 

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-digital-8/dcr-trv255e#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

•  08-08-2010, 7:45 414327 in reply to 414313

but is this within the cam for viewing or refer to external input (there isn't any).
    David

Some specific models in the D8 range were simply actively prevented from playing either the 8mm or the Hi8 tapes by means of functionality - ie - you can mechanically fit the tape in the mechanism and it will go through the motions of playing it, but your cam will not output anything at all - you will see only a blue screen on the cam. I have a constant stream of upset guys lately in the workshop that are complaining that they bought this-and-that model D8 cam somewhere to do exactly this 8mm conversion to DV, and there is absolutely nothing I can do for them.

Not saying this is the definitive list, but its a huge part:

Models marked * will supposedly play old 8mm analogue PAL recordings made in Standard 8, HI8, in both (SP) and (LP) modes. All models marked * have switchable timebase correction.

DCR-TR7000E *
    DCR-TR7100E *
    DCR-TR8000E *
    DCR-TR8100E *
    DCR-TRV110E *
    DCR-TRV120E *
    DCR-TRV125E *
    DCR-TRV130E
    DCR-TRV140E
    DCR-TRV145E
    DCR-TRV147E
    DCR-TRV210E *
    DCR-TRV230E *
    DCR-TRV235E *
    DCR-TRV238E *
    DCR-TRV239E *
    DCR-TRV240E *
    DCR-TRV241E *
    DCR-TRV245E
    DCR-TRV250E
    DCR-TRV255E
    DCR-TRV265E
    DCR-TRV270E
    DCR-TRV285E
    DCR-TRV310E *
    DCR-TRV320E *
    DCR-TRV325E *
    DCR-TRV330E *
    DCR-TRV340E *
    DCR-TRV341E *
    DCR-TRV345E *
    DCR-TRV355E *
    DCR-TRV356E *
    DCR-TRV410E *
    DCR-TRV420E *
    DCR-TRV430E *
    DCR-TRV460E *
    DCR-TRV461E *
    DCR-TRV480E *
    DCR-TRV510E *
    DCR-TRV520E *
    DCR-TRV525E *
    DCR-TRV530E *
    DCR-TRV620E *
    DCR-TRV720E *
    DCR-TRV725E *
    DCR-TRV730E *
    DCR-TRV738E *
    DCR-TRV740E *
    DCR-TRV820E *
    DCR-TRV828E *
    DCR-TRV830E *

Deck only ( No camera )
    GV-D200E *
    GV-D800E *

As far as realtime AV to DV conversion goes - depending on where in the world the cam was sold, you may or may not have that neat feature - here in South Africa we are lucky to have most all Sony cams with that feature enabled.

Page 1 of 3 (55 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy