Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

AVCHD tool update!!!!!

Last post 12-22-2009, 14:06 by BenoitM. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-20-2009, 14:03 355972

Computer [co] AVCHD tool update!!!!!

Ok here is the thread for the status on the AVCHD tool for Liquid that is yet to be titled.  As you can all see I have decided to go forward to see if this can be done.  I cannot guarantee 100% that it will work but I will give it my best.  I have run a very crude test and can get the video to transcode in about realtime on my el cheapo AMD quad core.  Thats not really bad considering the format.  I wish it could be faster and perhaps it will on a faster system.  I have a lot of stuff to test yet but I hope to get most of it figured out this weekend work permitting.

I will however need help from all of you.  In order to support the massive amount of different AVCHD formats out there I need to know exactly how each camera shoots.  What I need is a very small sample like a few seconds.  I also need to know what file structure is used on the SD cards.  This is super critical to make the tool easy to use to transfer an entire card.  I can make it load each clip but I think it would be much better to read the meta data files on the card.

Also note that this tool should work with Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere as well.  In fact I plan on even making it work with Final Cut Pro.  My hope is that this tool can be used to also rewrap files to switch between PC and Apple.  You gotta love how flexible mpeg2 really is.

Hopefully we can at least expand Liquid a few more years by making it AVCHD friendlier.

•  11-20-2009, 15:23 355990 in reply to 355972

Re: AVCHD tool update!!!!!

Smetvid:
    ......I will however need help from all of you.  In order to support the massive amount of different AVCHD formats out there I need to know exactly how each camera shoots.  What I need is a very small sample like a few seconds.  I also need to know what file structure is used on the SD cards.  This is super critical to make the tool easy to use to transfer an entire card.  I can make it load each clip but I think it would be much better to read the meta data files on the card.......

Way ta go "Smetvid" and "Great to hear!"  Here's my sample clip for you and would gladly test a plug in for ya or an external tool at your convenience.

Here's the clip at:  www.elink123.net/avchd

This material is from a Panasonic HMC150 and is the entire file right off the SDHC card shot in 24mbs 1920x1080 at 30p as what what Panasonic labels in their AVCCAM as PH mode.

The contents of what was on the SDHC card start with the file folder "PRIVATE" and the stream is located here:

PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM     and of course are .mts files.

If you have any questions or need more clips, different formats and/or frame rates or "mbs" rates to as low as 7 I can give you it all BECAUSE I love my Liquid and I love my AVCCAM and will not leave the latter as we are now 100% converted to it other than one XHA1 we kept for all the zillions of tapes we have around here that we are slowly converting to data files and archiving on BRD.

•  11-20-2009, 22:03 356036 in reply to 355990

Hey thanks for file.  That is very helpful.  I was hoping AVCHD would use a xml based meta data file like the Sony EX series of cameras.  I guess we may have to do this the old school way of searching an entire folder and sub folder to create an internal list of video clips.  Maybe that would be best anyway since other AVCHD types could be different anyway.

Audio is still giving me a lot of trouble. Basically the problem here is that the way Liquid imports video and audio is that it likes the audio to be split into a left wav file and right wav file.  Right now since my tool exports the audio track as a stereo track Liquid treats it as a single mono clip which means you only get the left channel.  There are two basic ways around this right now.

1.  Mux the video into a container format.  MXF, M2t, M2ts or ts.  The problem is that I can't mux MXF and the other formats do not work in Liquid.  M2t as ts does but those containers do not seem to like my moonshine brew of mpeg2.

2.  Find a way to split the audio.  Of course this seems pretty easy in a audio editing program but we want a batch way of doing it in the background.  I have been searching for months for a solution to do this and I have had no luck at all.

M2ts has so far worked perfectly for me in Sony Vegas.  Adobe Premiere imports the video but the audio is solid static noise.  Liquid of course will not load M2TS containers.  So we are back to square 1.  If I can get this audio issue figured out I think this thing may actually work.

Dr Dimento, are all the Mts files placed in the same Steam folder or does each clip have it's own sub folder?

•  11-21-2009, 5:19 356102 in reply to 356036

I don't suppose 5.1 surround sound MTS files will be possible without mixdown?

I know it works 100% in Vegas (both import and export) and it works on import to CS4 (but won't export all that well) Maybe you can study how Vegas is doing it?

If it's any help, TSmuxer will demux this stuff (and stereo tracks) quite easily without re-compressing. Maybe you can some how work that into the batch?

•  11-21-2009, 8:48 356144 in reply to 356102

I should also point out that EACto is another freeware program that I use to convert/demux avchd (and other formats) without re-compressing. It's a command line program (that you can also add a gui to) and it's capable of demuxing and breaking dts and dolby surround (and stereo wav files) into mono tracks. I'm sure this could be of use to you.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135095

•  11-21-2009, 9:14 356153 in reply to 356144

At this point I'm going to focus on stereo first to cover the largest group of people with the most useful edit friendly work flow.  I'm sure I could down convert 5.1 to stereo however.  Let me ask is 5.1 on a consumer camera microphone really worth it to try to maintain a 5.1 relationship?  I always found these form of mics to be rather a useless gimmick unless you want to stop breathing while you shoot.

On another note I think I may finally have a sort of a solution to split the audio into mono tracks.  This will need more testing but it has potential.

I have so far transcoded a 1280x720p 59.94p AVCHD file from a Panasonic HMC40 into a 50 mbit IPB chroma up converted to 4:2:2 m2v file and it works great in Liquid.  I still need to make sure the m2v encoding works with my special Liquid m2v presets for fast smart rendering and fusing.  I averaged about 45 frames per second encoding time which is slightly slower then realtime on a 60p source on my AMD quad core running at 2.2 Ghz.  I think a Base I7 will allow realltime or faster transcoding.  The amount of cores does help as well.  I have to choose how many cores to use and while not a huge boost  going from 4 to 2 cores does go from 45 fps to around 30 fps.  A raw 4:2:0 transcode may go even faster yet since it doesn't have to calculate the new chroma samples.

One final note:  Down scaling may have to wait for now.  It works very well actually but it has no way to currently down scale interlaced material to an interlaced destination format.  I had actually hoped this feature would have been useful for a future proxy edit tool for Liquid.  Oh well we will focus on down scaling later.

•  11-21-2009, 9:44 356162 in reply to 356153

Smetvid:

Let me ask is 5.1 on a consumer camera microphone really worth it to try to maintain a 5.1 relationship?

No gimmick at all. They work quite well. I started another thread on the issue because I didn't want to mess this on up:

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/356159.aspx
  •  11-21-2009, 16:57 356216 in reply to 356162

Ok another small update.  4:2:2 up conversion does take a small speed hit which I figured it would.  I transcoded the 1080i clip from Dr. D and with 4:2:2 up conversion it started out at 19 fps.  Keeping the chroma as 4:2:0 encoded at 29 fps.  Keep in mind all this testing is on my AMD quad core running at 2.2 Ghz which is a good system but very slow compared to many other Intel based quad core systems.  I think a straight AVCHD to basic mpeg2 conversion could happen on most quad core system at near or slightly better then realtime.  Not bad for a $600.00 computer and AVCHD video.

I also just tested 100 mbit/s I frame only  encoding and got about 37 fps on 1080i AVCHD material.  Woohoo!  We broke the realtime mark.

•  11-22-2009, 1:07 356242 in reply to 356216

Can I hope to edit my Eos 5d Mark II files (mov h 264 1920*1080 30p)  in Liquid 7,2?
  •  11-25-2009, 5:10 356978 in reply to 356242

With respect to sending you AVCHD samples from different camcorder.  To save on sending redundant samples, unless that is what you want, can you share what camcorder samples you already have in hand?
  •  11-25-2009, 6:13 356989 in reply to 355972

AW: AVCHD tool update!!!!!

Smet,

I have prepared two short scenes, taken with Canon HF10,

one is FXP, the other XP+, all the files zipped up just as they are on the card make about 25 MB.

Do you still want that or do you already have HF10?

where/how do I send that?

thanks a lot for working on that project

Lembit

•  11-25-2009, 7:38 357004 in reply to 356989

Re: AW: AVCHD tool update!!!!!

Don't forget AVCHD's first cousin, the h.264 MOV formats used by the high-end Canon DSLRs, as well as many bargain pocket videocams.  Some shoot in 60p, a portion of it real, a portion of it 30px2.  The Canon EOS 7D and 5D shoot in 30p at high bitrates.

Within the realm of AVCHD itself, there is much that is 60i, some that is 60p, some 24p (but in a 60i container), and some that is the 30px2 (aka AVCHD Lite).

•  12-10-2009, 23:49 361288 in reply to 356153

Where do I find this updated tool?
    Is it possible to Xrecieve DVCPROHD 720P50 from P2 HPX171 with this tool installed?
  •  12-14-2009, 11:14 362161 in reply to 361288

Exciting news. Have only just found this thread and will subscribe to it.

Wishing you every success. Many thanks for trying to do this.

Please let me know if you want a sample from a Canon 5Dmk2. If so, how long.

Please note also, if you don't already know, that Canon have promised to bring out a software update to give 24 and 25 fps in addition to the 30 fps currently available.

Due 'in the first half of 2010'.

•  12-22-2009, 14:06 364536 in reply to 356989

Re:AW: AVCHD tool update!!!!!

I can prepare some MXP (24 Mbps 25fps) shots from a Canon HF11, if this helps
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy