Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Blu-Ray disc compatiblity burned error " unsupported format"

Last post 07-10-2012, 7:33 by Jackw106. 21 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-09-2009, 20:40 361000

Blu-Ray disc compatiblity burned error " unsupported format"

I just made my first Blu-Ray BD-R 25gb disc with Pinnacle Studio 14. It plays great in my Panasonic Blu-Ray player, except the menus don't work, they just keep repeating. I can't choose anything.

If I put the disc in my pc Blu-ray player drive and open with Cyberlink PowerDVD , I get an error "a disc with an unsupported format in drive d:"

Any ideas?

•  12-10-2009, 7:32 361103 in reply to 361000

Re: Blu-Ray disc menus don't work and get unsupported format error

If you burn the very same project content to a stanadard DVD, do the menus then work, and does PowerDVD recognized the format? 

Please describe the content of your Blu-ray project.  In particular, please detail the contents and structure of any menus.  Did the menu(s) have one or more background graphic or still shot inserted?  If you used a stock menu, did it have background images?  Try removing any background images and confirm whether the menu then works.  If you want to have images accompany the menu, overlays should suffice and not block the menu function.

Was the output format AVCHD-DVD to an ordinary DVD+R disc or BD to a Blu-ray disc?

•  12-10-2009, 8:18 361117 in reply to 361103

yes, the same projects burns a dvd that works fine and is recognized. I used the stock menu with the Winter scene, two menus, the first has options to play movie or pick scenes, and the second is the scenes. I did use a background photo on the first menu.
  •  12-10-2009, 10:54 361158 in reply to 361117

AW: Re: Blu-Ray disc menus don't work and get unsupported format error

The problem is that PowerDVD expects two folders on the burned disc: BDMV and CERTIFICATE.
    The discs created by Studio do not need any files in the CERTIFICATE folder (that is needed for BD-Java).

My guess is that PowerDVD uses the folder to check if the disc is AVCHD or Bluray.

When the disc image is burned, there is no CERTIFICATE folder on the disc.

Here is a workaround that you can use:

1. Create the BD as an image on hard disc without directly burning
    2. Move the two folders (BDMV, CERTIFICATE) to a new empty folder named “BDMV”
    3. Burn the disc image by selecting the folder above the first “BDMV” folder

The directory structure should look like this on hard disc:

My Movie
    +-----BDMV
           +----- BDMV 
                   CERTIFICATE

In the directory select dialog, select “My Movie”.

•  12-10-2009, 12:01 361179 in reply to 361158

Re: AW: Re: Blu-Ray disc menus don't work and get unsupported format error

Yes, making that sub-directory worked! Thank you very much. It will now play on my PC. Yes

I still have the problem of the menus. They just play thru, cycling from the first to the last, then starting over. On the PC with Cyberlink viewer, I am able to pick items on the menu and they work, but not when it is played on the Panasonic blu-ray player.

•  12-11-2009, 13:55 361474 in reply to 361179

Concerning the functionality of the menus on the Panasonic BD player, I'd still be curious whether they work if the background images are removed from the menu.  Oddly, they do not impair a DVD menu, but only when I burn a BD disc.  The workaround is to use a menu without background images, but perhaps a decorative image (or sequence of images) on the overlay track.  Regarding Power DVD, I know nothing.

Hopefully, M. Pingel will supply better information or advice

•  12-11-2009, 20:17 361573 in reply to 361474

JKoch, thanks for your response. So you have noticed the same thing with the menus.

I will go ahead and try removing the background image and burn again. I'll let you know.

•  12-17-2009, 10:26 363013 in reply to 361573

Yes, removing the background images made the menus work! Smile

Unfortunately, some of them don't jump to the right place. Tongue Tied

But we're making progress.

•  12-17-2009, 10:49 363016 in reply to 363013

To get the chapter points to point to the right place, try inserting a blank title frame (3 or 4 seconds duration) BEFORE the chapter point.  It's OK to put a melt fade before that frame, so the prior chapter fades gracefully.  This offsets a problem I've observed, that BD chapters tend to capture the trailing portion of the preceding clip at the tail end of the prior chapter.  Another approach is to stick the chapter markets a bit later in the timeline than the chapter should actually begin, but that is a bit by guess and by golly too.

This problem, and the problem caused by background images in BD menus, were first pointed out in threads about a year ago, and (like a broken vinyl disc) I keep bleating the issue over and over, hoping programmers like MPingel take note.

•  12-17-2009, 11:07 363019 in reply to 363016

Cool, thanks. I'll try that.

•  01-21-2010, 11:31 373591 in reply to 363019

Moved from Studio General Forum to Studio Make Movie.

•  01-21-2010, 13:27 373626 in reply to 373591

Stumbled over this thread after it was moved to Make movie section of the board.

I didn't test the 'pic-on-OVT" workaround but ... perhaps my experience can help Avid solve this problem.

The menus aren't working because the button hihglight isn't staying.

Normal behavior is that at the moment the menu loops, the first button on the menu gets highlighted and stays highlighted during playbak i.e. until it loops again. (with a very short flickering at the actual "loop")
    With BD and BG pic menus the highlight of the button only stays for a second or maybe even less. So once this highlighting has disappeared the button becomes non-active and the remotes' command has no effect.

When I put a BD with a non-working menu in my standalone player, the menu appears on screen, the highlight of the button disappears after say a second, but 12 secs later (12 secs being the menu lenght) after the menu loops, the highlight shows up for say another second. Now if I hit the remote control's Play button or up/down button during the very short time the highlight shows up then the menu performs the wanted action. 

Whit a 12 secs long menu, the button is active every 12 secs but only for a small second.

•  01-27-2010, 7:01 375270 in reply to 373626

Thanks plemmens for sharing that information.

Is this happening on non motion stock menus? When dragged down, use automatic chaptering and no returns.

I remember using this option and the Menu worked as expected. I will do another test soon but I would like to know if this flow works for you.

•  01-28-2010, 7:44 375555 in reply to 375270

Attachment: BD_menu_prob.JPG

Thanks for taking care.

Give me some time to do further tests.

In the mean time here is some additional information that might be interesting for you to have.
    What I described earlier is what I saw on my standalone DB player which is a Samsung BD-P1500.

I started with the standard Summer memories menu and changed it as follows:
    1. Deleted Previous and Next buttons
    2. Added 4 addtional buttons trough copy/paste and rearranged the bunch as per screenshot.
    3. Replaced standard BG with my own photo 2304x1296 px 1.11mb
    3b. As an alternative I set menu BG to transparant and placed same photo on OVT.
    4. Set 7 chapter links manually.
    5. Didn't use any RTM, not on chapter level nor at end of movie.

When I switch S14 to DVD preview mode and I start play, all simulating navigation buttons do work as expected.
    From the moment that menu playback has looped once, the navigation buttons stop working, in the actual preview window there is no way to get a menu button selected   

•  02-03-2010, 17:06 377261 in reply to 375555

Thanks plemmens I'll try to reproduce this.
  •  02-08-2010, 7:20 378523 in reply to 377261

FWIW, I am getting this - but only on HD-DVD format projects burnt to DVD.  The same project when burnt to either AVCHD-DVD or AVC-Blu-ray disk, the menus work as expected.

The menus use a graduated black to blue background with image placeholders for the different chapters (see image menu_01.png)

[click to view image] 

This is a screen shot of the whole project:-

[click to view image]

The first three items are Title images, the second three are menus and items 7-18 are mpeg4 slideshows created in Pinnacle

Also, when burning HD-DVD format disks, the Titles never appear, the show starts at the  menus (which has the problems described by JStevenson in that you cannot play any of the chapters from the menu).  I have tried re-creating the menus with a transparent background and a plain image in the video overlay track - but this again misses out the title images.  However it partially resolves the problem in that I can now select and play chapters, but it does so in the wrong place (generally missing about the first 20 seconds or so of the video).

I hope these snippets of information help you find the source of the problem.

•  02-08-2010, 16:38 378716 in reply to 375555

Hi plemmens,

I tried a sample project using  Standard menu and changed the background and deleted Next and Previous buttons. Added background photo and set background to transparent.

It preview fine, buttons works even after the looped, 

2. Added 4 addtional buttons trough copy/paste and rearranged the bunch as per screenshot.

Is is set as Normal button is linked etc. can you give me more information on the menu button that you used, we might find a clue.

•  07-09-2012, 4:58 539108 in reply to 378716

Posting again

Disk tray opens 

Click make movie, burn from previously created  disk content

It used to work what is happening 

•  07-09-2012, 5:06 539109 in reply to 539108

I think I have solved the problem my back up drive had not been seen by Studio
  •  07-09-2012, 8:32 539137 in reply to 539109

Problem is still there tray keeps coming out I am not getting folder option for where files are logged.  How can I rectify this please
  •  07-09-2012, 10:32 539151 in reply to 539137

driver for blue ray burner not installed
  •  07-10-2012, 7:33 539309 in reply to 539151

Installed drivers, in make movie studio still opening the tray then after a few attempts returning the disk to the burner the folder menu appears. Have I got to re install Studio ? Any ideas please
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy