Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

How do I know what format my input video is?

Last post 12-06-2009, 2:08 by jjn. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-01-2009, 18:43 358623

How do I know what format my input video is?

AKA - what format does my Canon Z81 camcorder record in?

Ultimately, I am trying to learn when or when not to use the "progressive encoding" when burning a DVD (usually slideshows of family photos AND video).

For video, I've got a Canon Z81 - records DV.

From what I can tell from this forum - best rule of thumb is to encode in whatever the input format was.  (if interlaced video, then don't check the progressive encoding box, etc.)

My question here is:  How do I know in what format (interlaced or progressive) my video was captured???

I'm hoping that knowing my video was taken with a Canon Z81 suffices - but also curious to know if there are other ways to check.

Many thanks!

•  12-01-2009, 20:08 358632 in reply to 358623

Re: How do I know what format my input video is?

In your time zone, you should be recording in NTSC, interlaced.

Don

•  12-03-2009, 11:00 359135 in reply to 358632

thanks Don -

But I must ask - and this I'm sure will expose my naivete - but what do you mean by time zone - like - where I set my time zone in the camera?

•  12-03-2009, 12:28 359152 in reply to 358632

cuartetto:

In your time zone, you should be recording in NTSC, interlaced.

Your forum profile reveals this:

• GMT -5
    • GMT = Greenwich Mean Time (in England)
    • 6:00 pm Greenwich - 5 = 1:00 pm New York

The "-5" puts you in the Eastern time zone of the United States (or Canada).

North America uses the NTSC format.

Europe uses the PAL format.

You don't have to worry about it.

Unless there was some Herculean screw-up, any camera you buy in the US will be NTSC and your output will be compatible with US DVD players, etc.  Just like you don't have to worry about what side of the car the steering wheel is on.  In other countries it might be different, but if you buy a car in the US you'll get the right kind.

•  12-03-2009, 12:38 359157 in reply to 359152

justaviking;

Good explanation.

Don

•  12-05-2009, 12:58 359707 in reply to 358623

bsn321:

AKA - what format does my Canon Z81 camcorder record in?

Ultimately, I am trying to learn when or when not to use the "progressive encoding" when burning a DVD (usually slideshows of family photos AND video).

For video, I've got a Canon Z81 - records DV.

From what I can tell from this forum - best rule of thumb is to encode in whatever the input format was.  (if interlaced video, then don't check the progressive encoding box, etc.)

My question here is:  How do I know in what format (interlaced or progressive) my video was captured???

I'm hoping that knowing my video was taken with a Canon Z81 suffices - but also curious to know if there are other ways to check.

Many thanks!

I can't seem to find any information on the Canon Z81.  What exactly is this camera?  I keep getting search results showing the Kodak Zi8 instead.  If that is what you actually mean, then it stores its video in H.264 (Quicktime) .mov format.  Most cameras that store on solid state cards use the .mov file format.  Hope this helps.

•  12-06-2009, 2:08 359829 in reply to 359707

Like Igor, I can't find your model of camera anywhere on the net.

However, the vast majority of DV cameras were/are interlaced, so unless yours is some kind of semi broadcast camera (i.e. was very expensive) then it will be interlaced.

From Wikipedia

All DV variants except for DVCPRO Progressive are recorded to tape within interlaced video stream. Film-like frame rates are possible by using pulldown. DVCPRO HD supports native progressive format when recorded to P2 memory cards.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy