Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Possible solution: Chrome XE and 64-bit Windows (Vista/W7)

Last post 11-18-2009, 7:47 by DStone. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-27-2009, 9:16 349549

Possible solution: Chrome XE and 64-bit Windows (Vista/W7)

There's been some inquiries lately on whether or not it's possible to get Chrome Xe working on a 64-bit version of Windows. Following the instructions for Liquid on 64-bit Vista, it's possible to get Liquid installed and running, and there are 64-bit AJA Xe drivers available. However, the dongle driver that ships with Chrome Xe is 32-bit only and will not install, so the software runs in demo mode only.

Here's an updated dongle driver with 32 and 64-bit support for Vista and W7:  ftp://ftp.aladdin.com/pub/hasp/srm/Runtime_%28Drivers%29/HASP_SRM_Runtime_setup.zip

PLEASE NOTE!!!

This driver is not supported by Pinnacle or Avid. It's not been tested with Chrome Xe, and there's no guarantee that it will work, or that it won't cause your computer to melt down or turn your skin green or anything else. In other words, use at your own risk.

If it does work for you, please post that fact and let us know.

•  10-27-2009, 12:41 349619 in reply to 349549

Re: Possible solution: Chrome XE and 64-bit Windows (Vista/W7)

Others will need to comment but my understanding was that the drivers used by Liquid Xe to communicate with the Aja board were written specifically for the app. Xe is not using Aja's drivers. The 64 bit Aja drivers will work no better if this is true. Love to be wrong.
  •  10-28-2009, 0:13 349730 in reply to 349619

Chrome Xe installs standard (outdated) AJA Xena drivers.
    It works also with newer ones. You get better support for third party programs with newer ones.

Priit

•  10-28-2009, 4:50 349760 in reply to 349730

Nice thread

so it means that with the new driver from aja it is not necessary  anymore to us the driver which comes with the liquid chrome xe instalation is that right????????????????????

And so does it mean if the update of the dongle works and i follow the instruction on how to install liquid on vist64 liquid chrome xe will run in windows7????????

I will give that an try keep you and me updatet!

cheers manu

•  10-28-2009, 5:07 349765 in reply to 349760

I woldn't be so optimistic about the driver.
    It needs that 64-bit driver will work with 32-bit application.
    Also to my knowledge Vista/W7 do use diferent driver API then XP.

To me seems that using Chrome Xe in Virtual Machine would be the option.
    I mean computer will run W7 64-bit and Virtual Machine does have WinXP 32-bit intalled.
    This way other programs can benefit from 64-bit environment.

Priit

•  10-28-2009, 6:16 349769 in reply to 349765

Thats the way i ona try!

I´m just not sure about updating the dongle because if that not work i have an defect dongle isn´t it?

still thinking

cheers manu

•  10-28-2009, 9:34 349801 in reply to 349769

Very interesting Dave.  I would try this but I no longer have my Aja board.  It is at work in a Sony Vegas machine.  I will have to see if I can yank it out to try this but I'm a bit busy at the time and we have a lot of work coming in through that system right now so it could be at least a month before I get a chance to try it.
  •  10-28-2009, 11:39 349833 in reply to 349801

If I had a Chrome Xe I'd try it myself, but I don't. In general most dongles continue to work with the older manager even when updated by a newer one, but that does not mean that the one for Chrome will do so. Like I said, this is a "use at your own risk" kind of option. I'd try it if it were me, but that's me.
  •  11-01-2009, 9:48 350717 in reply to 349730

priitp:

Chrome Xe installs standard (outdated) AJA Xena drivers.
    It works also with newer ones. You get better support for third party programs with newer ones.

Priit

I have installed AJA's driver version 4.0 first, then I installed Liquid Chrome Xe. When Liquid-installation comes to the point to install AJA driver, it first asks you whether to install (they are not Windows certified). Here answer is: "YES". It the continues to install and comes back with the message, that a later driver is already installed. Here your answer is "Do not install". Installation continues and you have chrome Xe running with the newer AJA driver. I have no problems at all with it. It also worked under Vista-64. However, here I had the problem with the dongle driver which caused Liquid Chrome Xe to run in demo mode.

I have tested under Windows 7RC 64-bit. A dongle driver was automatically installed by Windows. I have then installed Liquid Chrome Xe, activated it, and started it. However, even with a dongle driver installed (dongle shows active red light and Device Manager shows, that the dongle is properly installed),Liquid cannot communicate with the dongle. As a consequence, It runs into demo mode and gives an error message (red blinking exclamation mark) saying, that adongle could not be found.

Summary: No silution to the problem yet.

Joachim

•  11-02-2009, 1:04 350797 in reply to 350717

Hi Joachim

thanks for your explanation. Did you tried the donhel update which is mentioned here in that forum?

Thnaks for your feedback

cheers Manu

•  11-02-2009, 2:16 350807 in reply to 350797

No,

I just used the driver which was installed by W7, automatically.

•  11-03-2009, 7:25 351173 in reply to 350807

OK
  •  11-03-2009, 7:30 351174 in reply to 351173

ok so far so good

i´ve installed liquid chrome xe on windows 7.

First the aja board works with the new fusion installer update it plays all out hd or sd!

The only problem so far is i can´t get out of the demo mode it because of the dongle win7 knows it but i think i have to do the dongle update which is explained here!

MHHH riski?????

The rest works fine really fast export and fuse in hd or sd also import of mxf files goes ca 2 times faster

keep you and me updated

by the way it runs in both 32 xp mode and 64 bit mode it seems to be faster in 64 bit

cheers manu

•  11-06-2009, 13:14 352069 in reply to 351174

The risk is really unknown. The only issue is that the updated dongle driver may try and update your dongle, and that if it still doesn't work then the old dongle driver will no longer recognize the updated dongle. I honestly don't think it's likely, but that's no guarantee. I'd try it if I had a Chrome Xe system, but I don't.
  •  11-11-2009, 2:14 353083 in reply to 352069

Ok i tried to update the dongle it only works updating under xp and the dongle still works under xp then but it doesn´t work under win 7

in the moment it looks like the only problem with chrome xe and win 7 is the dongle (shi........) any chance to get that solved avid/pinnacle

thanks in advance

•  11-14-2009, 22:04 354223 in reply to 353083

OK, let's try round two: Download the following file:

Aladdin Command Line Installer

Unzip this to a directory, and it will create a sub-directory called HASP_SRM_Runtime_cmd_line. In this subdirectory you'll find the file haspdinst.exe. This is the command line installer. It is Windows 7 compliant.

In Windows 7, open up a command window and change the directory to where ever the command line installer is located. Then give the command:

haspdinst -i

This will install the Windows 7 driver and runtime. You may have to reboot afterwards (I would anyways). If Chrome Xe doesn't work under W7 after this, then it simply isnt' going to work unless and until someone at Pinnacle makes changes.

•  11-17-2009, 3:13 354763 in reply to 354223

Hallo Dave,

I have run another test installation under Windows 7 RC. The driver you have mentionned in your first contibution to this thread does not get installed under Windows 7. It always fails with the error message: "not supported OS". I have trried it with various compatibility settings, however, I always get the same error message.

I have then used the Aladdin Command Line Installer, which worked fine. However, Liquid Chrome Xe still remains in Demo mode. I think, it is not the Aladdin driver, which makes the problems, but the Chrome inherent piece of software which communicates with the Alddin key. This software is obviously not 64-bit compatible.

•  11-18-2009, 7:47 355184 in reply to 354763

Unfortunately, this appears to be the case. Since I don't have Chrome Xe, I have no way of testing to see if the dongle interface for Liquid can be run in compatibility mode while the rest of it runs in native 64-bit mode.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy