Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

What is the ideal setting for the highest DVD quality?

Last post 01-12-2009, 18:30 by Marc P.. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-03-2009, 9:55 271859

What is the ideal setting for the highest DVD quality?

I am intesested in hearing what is the ideal setting to achieve the highest quality DVD from my movies.  I want the playback on our large wide screen TV through the DVD player to be the best possible.  Suggestions?  Comments?  Advice?

Cheers

•  01-03-2009, 10:09 271865 in reply to 271859

Re: What is the ideal setting for the highest DVD quality?

If you don't have a bluray or HDDVD player, then the best you will get is Best Quality 720*480 at 8500kbs. This is higher than normally used on commercial DVDs, but  a great deal will depend on the source material. What do you intend to make the movies from?
  •  01-03-2009, 11:49 271897 in reply to 271865

The movies are made from pictures and short video clips with my point and shoot camera.  I tried the setting you suggested and it turned out better than I expected.  The only problem is that the movie is skewed.   I want to play the movies I am making on our wide screen TV.  The movie I just made while the quality is better than I expected is squished so that everyone is short and fat.    What adjustments can I make so that the play back is normal looking?

Thanks so much

Cheers

•  01-03-2009, 12:16 271906 in reply to 271897

Does your TV remote have an adjustment for picture size ? Mine does.

I bought an upconvert DVD player with HDMI out. This also plays standard DVDs better on my Samsung 67" Hidef TV.

•  01-03-2009, 13:22 271931 in reply to 271906

No
  •  01-03-2009, 13:41 271937 in reply to 271931

Can you play the DVD on your PC?  If so, how does it look there?
  •  01-03-2009, 17:07 271969 in reply to 271897

What is the brand and model of your DVD player?

•  01-04-2009, 8:15 272151 in reply to 271969

I am not quite clear what the brand of DVD player has to do with this.  My question is what are the "ideal" settings to create the "best" possible DVD?  I want to burn DVDs of our family pictures and short video clips and play on our 42" widescreen TV with the best quality.

PS... How do I get email notifications when this thread has been updated?

Cheers

•  01-04-2009, 9:43 272171 in reply to 272151

tonymuffin:
     My question is what are the "ideal" settings to create the "best" possible DVD? 
    Go to Setup / Make Disc, and select the "video quality" to be "Best Quality".  Make your audio selection "Dolby 2", and make your project no more than an hour. If you want to double the time, just use a dual layer disc. (8.5 gb)

tonymuffin:
    How do I get email notifications when this thread has been updated?
    Go into your profile, and look at the "email" tab. Make sure all 3 email options buttons are selected. Also, I'm just guessing that at the bottom you need to include a private email for the notifications to be sent to.

If you read a thread that you are interested in, click the "enable email subscription" box. You don't have to participate in a thread, but you will be notified if it is updated.

I've followed your threads, and I've got a SD750. I'm gonna do a little test with a video and a picture from that camera, and throw it up on my widescreen. I'll reply back later (tonight)? I'm just wondering what your project looks like on a normal TV. (4X3)

•  01-04-2009, 11:13 272210 in reply to 272171

I have selected Best Quality and tried Dolby 2, 5.1 and PCM.  I don't see an option anywhere to make the project no more than an hour.  I have no problem making the project (which is only 25 minutes long) on a DL DVD if that will make the output quality better.

With any of the settings the images are squished and distorted.  The quality from within Pinnacle looks better than what is created on the DVD.  The images by themselves are crips and clear alone as well.  However, the DVD looks like crap.  I am asking how to make the best possible movie on the DVD.  I totally expect the video clips to not be perfect.  But I would assume that the still images should be a high quality.  This is very easy to do with Microsoft Movie Maker and or Microsoft Photo Story 3.1.  Even NERO makes better quality DVDs.

I see nothing that says PROFILE anywhere.  Enable Email Subscription is enabled on all the posts I am intereseted in.  No email arrives. 

Cheers

•  01-04-2009, 11:16 272211 in reply to 272151

I am not quite clear what the brand of DVD player has to do with this.
    This in in relation to aspect ratio settings. If your DVD player isn't set up correctly, you might well experience playback in the wrong aspect ratio.
  •  01-04-2009, 14:20 272267 in reply to 272211

jjn:
    I am not quite clear what the brand of DVD player has to do with this.
    This in in relation to aspect ratio settings. If your DVD player isn't set up correctly, you might well experience playback in the wrong aspect ratio.
    The playback with my test (SD 750) was pretty bad on my widescreen. When I viewed it in normal mode, it was pretty good. Haven't seen a reply about viewing the DVD on a normal TV yet.............Confused

My comment about "no more than an hour" isn't a setting, it's built into the "best quality" setting. I guess a better way to say this would be, "Never have a project that is more than an hour long if you're looking for the best quality".

If your project is only 25 minutes long and you are using the "best quality" setting,  the movie won't be any better if you burn it to a dual layer disc. The 25 minute video will use up about half of the 4.7 disc, and will use up about a fourth of an 8.5 disc.

Profile ? Lets see if THIS helps. And if you are seeing the words "Enable Email Subscription" at the top, then you'll never get a notification. Click the words "Enable Email Subscription" at the top and they will change to "Disable Email Subscription". To some people this sounds backwards, but if you study it a bit it'll come to you.

What else ? Well, you need to try Jeffs suggestions on your OTHER thread prior to going any further. The test project viewed on a normal TV should be a good test to see where you stand. If this doesn't create a good disc, then you should re-install the program.

The settings that need to be used to create the best DVD have been posted here. Some other suggestions are to use a high quality DVD such as Sony or Taiyo Uden. You should burn your disc at no more than 8X. If you don't have Nero, you should get a copy. You can then create your video_ts folder in Studio and then burn your disc in Nero.

Personally, I don't like the format that Canon uses on my camera. I only edit them because my daughter creates them. Since the frame rate is 30, it does some strange things to the eye. Also, I don't think this is a true 4X3 aspect ratio, even with WMP the clips somehow seem distorted. The other discussions I've had about this format have slowly died out, so I've said all I can say about it here.

•  01-04-2009, 19:50 272325 in reply to 272171

towbar:

tonymuffin:
     My question is what are the "ideal" settings to create the "best" possible DVD? 
    Go to Setup / Make Disc, and select the "video quality" to be "Best Quality".  Make your audio selection "Dolby 2", and make your project no more than an hour. If you want to double the time, just use a dual layer disc. (8.5 gb)

tonymuffin:
    How do I get email notifications when this thread has been updated?
    Go into your profile, and look at the "email" tab. Make sure all 3 email options buttons are selected. Also, I'm just guessing that at the bottom you need to include a private email for the notifications to be sent to.

If you read a thread that you are interested in, click the "enable email subscription" box. You don't have to participate in a thread, but you will be notified if it is updated.

I've followed your threads, and I've got a SD750. I'm gonna do a little test with a video and a picture from that camera, and throw it up on my widescreen. I'll reply back later (tonight)? I'm just wondering what your project looks like on a normal TV. (4X3)

Yup, the setting is set to "Enable Email Subscription".

What my project looks like on a "normal" TV? 

•  01-04-2009, 23:27 272346 in reply to 271897

tonymuffin:

The only problem is that the movie is skewed.   I want to play the movies I am making on our wide screen TV.  The movie I just made while the quality is better than I expected is squished so that everyone is short and fat.    What adjustments can I make so that the play back is normal looking?

Since you said the movie is squished so that everyone is short and fat, that leads me to believe your TV is not configured correctly to view the DVD properly or your DVD player is not configured correctly to view the DVD  properly.  My widescreen TV has settings to control the display and my DVD player has settings to control the display.  Have you looked through the setup options on either unit to see what adjusments can be made?

•  01-05-2009, 5:30 272418 in reply to 272325

tonymuffin:
    Then click it so it reads "Disable". Lets see if that works.

tonymuffin:
    Yup, I'll agree with what Joseph said. 

When I describe a normal TV, I mean the kind of TV that we've had for the last 40 years. That type of TV has a 4X3 aspect ratio and doesn't alter the project when viewed. I'm assuming that you project settings are set for 4X3 instead of 16X9.  

I just recently bought a widescreen TV, and it has settings for Normal, Widescreen and Zoom. I usually just keep it set to Widescreen and have gotten used to the fat people. Big Smile If I set it to Normal, they lose about 40 pounds.

As a summation, your Canon shoots in a 4X3 aspect and needs to be viewed as such. The same goes for 16X9 (Widescreen). I'm thinking that once you get this figgered out you'll (possibly) be good to go.

•  01-05-2009, 8:04 272477 in reply to 272346

DFW_Pinnacle:
    tonymuffin:

The only problem is that the movie is skewed.   I want to play the movies I am making on our wide screen TV.  The movie I just made while the quality is better than I expected is squished so that everyone is short and fat.    What adjustments can I make so that the play back is normal looking?

Since you said the movie is squished so that everyone is short and fat, that leads me to believe your TV is not configured correctly to view the DVD properly or your DVD player is not configured correctly to view the DVD  properly.  My widescreen TV has settings to control the display and my DVD player has settings to control the display.  Have you looked through the setup options on either unit to see what adjusments can be made?

The images are what is squished in the movie.  Meaning, the video clips are ok, the still images mixed in are squished. 

•  01-05-2009, 8:05 272478 in reply to 272418

towbar:

tonymuffin:
    Then click it so it reads "Disable". Lets see if that works.

tonymuffin:
    Yup, I'll agree with what Joseph said. 

When I describe a normal TV, I mean the kind of TV that we've had for the last 40 years. That type of TV has a 4X3 aspect ratio and doesn't alter the project when viewed. I'm assuming that you project settings are set for 4X3 instead of 16X9.  

I just recently bought a widescreen TV, and it has settings for Normal, Widescreen and Zoom. I usually just keep it set to Widescreen and have gotten used to the fat people. Big Smile If I set it to Normal, they lose about 40 pounds.

As a summation, your Canon shoots in a 4X3 aspect and needs to be viewed as such. The same goes for 16X9 (Widescreen). I'm thinking that once you get this figgered out you'll (possibly) be good to go.

Oh, so you are referring to a CRT?  Anymore, widescreen flatpanels are the "NORMAL" TV.  No, I don't have a CRT TV. 

•  01-05-2009, 9:21 272508 in reply to 272478

tonymuffin:
    Anymore, widescreen flatpanels are the "NORMAL" TV. 
      The settings on most widescreen TVs have a "Normal" aspect ratio setting. This produces a 4X3 screen with black bars on the sides. In essence they are emulating a "Normal" TV. 

tonymuffin:
    Oh, so you are referring to a CRT? 
    Yes

tonymuffin:
    No, I don't have a CRT TV. 
     Change the settings on your widescreen to "Normal", or "4X3", or whatever the manufacturer calls it to view your project. Your camera has encoded it that way.

Good luck with the project, maybe someone else can assist you better. It seems like I've hit an "Impasse".

•  01-05-2009, 11:08 272550 in reply to 272508

If your source video is 640x480 in some sort of MPEG or QT at 15 fps, no setting will make it look great on a flat panel.  If you raise the FPS to 30, it will look better, but may still not be what you hope.  If you use 30 fps 640x480 video from a P&S, the optimum bitrate for a DVD is maybe about 6 mbps.  To use a higher rate will use more disc space, but not add much image quality that one can see.

If your source video is 1280x720 MJPEG, as shot by some Panasonic or Kodak P&S models, you'll want to set up Studio to do a 16x9 project in standard definition and use a higher bitrate.  Two constraints will be image shake (hard to avoid with small P&S models, even with OIS) and sound (the tiny mono mics cannot perform miracles).

If you have a large flat panel, sooner or later comes the question of high definition video projects.  That means either some Blu-ray disc player or digital box format (not standard DVD) at higher resolutions and bitrates than standard DVD.  Video from some high-end standard videocams can be played on large screens and look almost as good as HD, particularly if the scenes in question aren't ideal for HD anyway.  But it's tough to get 640x480 video from a P&S to look good on a big screen.  To pan and scan entails loss of vertical resolution.  To letterbox means an image that leaves vacant space, but IMHO causes less damage to the appearance.  I've found that overlay of a 640x480 video onto a 16x90 frame set up to look like an old fashioned 4x3 TV screen (or pre-1950s movie screen surrounded by Alhambra Theater or similar virtual decor) can be cute and work reasonably.

•  01-05-2009, 11:47 272572 in reply to 272477

tonymuffin:
    DFW_Pinnacle:
    tonymuffin:

The images are what is squished in the movie.  Meaning, the video clips are ok, the still images mixed in are squished. 

The movie I just made while the quality is better than I expected is squished so that everyone is short and fat.
    You see, you are giving out contradictory information. The best bet for you is to get a new profile and start again, after reading the manual, because by now you have insulted most of the people here who could help you.

Bye....

•  01-05-2009, 21:23 272741 in reply to 272550

Maybe it will best to sort out the details first then list them down and present your issue. Maybe this should help speed up the dig for answers.
  •  01-06-2009, 18:08 273135 in reply to 272741

Sure... let me try this again.

What are the "ideal", "optimal", "best" settings to make a movie (video clips and or picture slideshow) to burn to DVD for play back on my 42" Flat Panel "normal" TV?  Hopefully that is clearer.  So far, I have not found them with Pinnacle.  I can make "perfect" movies of the type mentioned above for the purpose mentioned above with Microsoft Movie Maker (and Photo Story for only slideshows) and NERO Photo Show Deluxe.  With Pinnacle, the result is typically not clear, distorted and squised.

I am sorry for any confusion.  I for some reason believe this is what I have been asking/saying all along

Cheers

•  01-06-2009, 18:49 273140 in reply to 273135

Mr. Muffin,

I have been lurking in the sidelines reading this thread as I have been wanting to know exactly the same answer to the same question you have been asking.  Rest assured, I have totally been following this thread and understand exactly what you are asking and as I mentioned would like to know the same.  Thanks for pursuing here.  Ain't MS Movie Maker and Photo Story great! ? Geeked

•  01-06-2009, 21:09 273179 in reply to 273135

Hmmmm, I sense a trap. However I'll bring the following up to the top:

towbar:
    Go to Setup / Make Disc, and select the "video quality" to be "Best Quality".  Make your audio selection "Dolby 2"
    jjn:
    the best you will get is Best Quality 720*480 at 8500kbs. 
    towbar:
    use a high quality DVD such as Sony or Taiyo Uden. You should burn your disc at no more than 8X. If you don't have Nero, you should get a copy. You can then create your video_ts folder in Studio and then burn your disc in Nero.
    JKoch:
     If you use 30 fps 640x480 video from a P&S, the optimum bitrate for a DVD is maybe about 6 mbps.  To use a higher rate will use more disc space, but not add much image quality that one can see.

If you apply the settings listed above, you will be using the "ideal", "optimal", "best" settings to make a DVD. These settings will work very well with the supplied test video that Studio has included in the "Shared Documents" folder. I won't qualify that the settings will work with any "User Provided Media". The project settings need to be the same aspect ratio as the source video, and the movie needs to be played on a properly configured TV.

You have obviously ignored the request in your other thread to try the "Our Fun Vacation" (16X9) in a test project, and that's just not fair to those that are trying to help you. If you're going to ask for help here on this forum, you need to read and try everything that has been offered to you. Hopefully others will jump in and help you with your problems. I've offered up all that I can.

You can argue all day long what a "normal" TV means to you, but to the majority it doesn't mean a "widescreen" TV. I noticed that you slipped the word "normal" into your last comments, so I guess that you're going to stand your ground.

tonymuffin:
     play back on my 42" Flat Panel "normal" TV?  

•  01-06-2009, 22:19 273191 in reply to 273179

You know... that is just wrong!  I haven't ignored anything...  It appears that if I am not trying anything as fast as you are telling me to then you think I am ignoring something.  You are wrong.  You also are not reading this thread.  There are a number of people jumping into this at different points ... not reading the previous thread... asking question to which I am responding.

so....

hold onto your panties....

I will try all the "sample" crap that you all are mentioning.  If that is not happening fast enough for you...

And... flat panel screen ARE indeed normal TVs. 

Page 1 of 2 (34 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy