Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

MC Impressions

Last post 03-07-2012, 10:32 by simonbaker. 749 replies.
Page 1 of 30 (750 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-03-2008, 17:18 260849

MC Impressions

I am more to MC in just a few days. I am a fast learner anyway,

I still believe that Liquid's timeline is faster or to say it better more forgiving than MC's.

At MC you have to be sure for the size of the clip before you splice it in or overwrite it on timeline.

For example if you have a timeline with 500 cuts (not yet) and you want to sorten one in the middle this is more difficult than in Liquid.

MC misses the U key of Liquid that is AWESOME. You can move the timeline very fast. In MC you have to Alt Drag all the pieces you need and move them down the time (by selecting the splice in or overwrite tool) and then go to the clip you want and trim it and then select all the clips again and move them to where you want to,

Maybe  it's a matter of use. I will tell you along the way.

Audio tool is easy too. Using the Auto mode at the Audio Mixer you can do whatever you want to clips, add keyframes and raise or low the sound. Same as in Liquid which as for the time being it looks more accurate and powerful than MC's. At MC though you don't have to go to any Audio Mode like in Liquid but you are changing the audio "live" something like in Premiere. In fact all you have to do is to enable at timeline's fast menu and the audio data the clip gain.

More to follow.

•  12-03-2008, 17:34 260851 in reply to 260849

Re: MC Impressions

One thing I haven't understand yet is if the freeze frame can happen only into source clips,

At Liquid you just leave the scrubber where you want to and by right click you select freeze frame.

Awesome and easy. I miss that in MC.

•  12-03-2008, 17:46 260856 in reply to 260851

A Tip for Realtek on board chips.

1) Enable the HD version of the chip in Bios,

2) At the Control Panel of Windows and at Realtek Panel YOU HAVE TO SELECT the DIGITAL IN for the MIC.

Then MC will open fine, Otherwise if you select Analog for everything it won't.

So Mic's inputs at Digital. 

•  12-04-2008, 0:27 260925 in reply to 260856

Is this a serious try to learn Mc George , in that case, as I have promised you, I do have some very good workflows to use MC and Liquid together to get the best from both worlds .
  •  12-04-2008, 5:34 260990 in reply to 260925

Tell me some.
  •  12-04-2008, 6:09 261012 in reply to 260990

For SD editing :

use Liquid for all mpeg 2 ( and even old mpeg 1 ) jobs , export as a Fuse , fast import the fuse into MC for colour correction and other corrections , possibilities to use other apps using QT ref exporting.

also  upscaling of old mpeg 1 clips in Liquid using the classical 2 D editor import into MC for colour correction and ready encoding to a windows moviefile using QT ref exporting ( I have just made such a project )

importing QT refs from MC into Liquid and create dvd discs or exporting to windows mediafiles is possible

many more things of course , the thing is, with SD , it is possible to run the apps together 

•  12-04-2008, 6:34 261031 in reply to 261012

QT in Liquid is slow.

Color Correction in Liquid is awesome.

Thomas as you describe it there is no real reason to use MC. Smile

•  12-04-2008, 6:41 261045 in reply to 261031

sverkalo:

QT in Liquid is slow.

Color Correction in Liquid is awesome.

do you really think that I did all this work for colour correction in MC just for fun ???????

gonna drop this one now  same old  " OH Great Liquid  " talk  just wanted to be helpful   forget about my help about this one

•  12-04-2008, 7:10 261059 in reply to 261045

Thanks, now I can go on with my own findings.
  •  12-04-2008, 13:04 261286 in reply to 261059

First of all, the U key, or the "Select after playline" tool does exist in MC. You even have the "Select before playline" tool as with Final Cut Pro.

And to trim a clip, you don't need to always push everything else on the timeline, you can use the trimming tool and trim only A or B side. You can also sync lock the tracks that you need to keep in sync, as with Liquid.

Also, to import footage from MC to Liquid, the fastest way is to export the clip using DV Stream. Liquid will read the clip natively.

•  12-04-2008, 13:10 261291 in reply to 261286

That's good info Sylvain.

When two clips among others are side by side how can you trim clip A without affecting clip B?

Trimming the one trimms the other as well. 

The problem isn't to import something from MC to Liquid but at the other side.

Is it true that freeze can applied only to source clips and not at timeline clips? 

•  12-04-2008, 13:41 261329 in reply to 261291

I got it now. To trim only one side of the clip without affecting the other you have to click at the window of the trimmer at the specific clip you want to. Click left affects the left clip and the other one the same.

It sounds funny but after 8-9 years of NL editing I have never worked this way. Using the trimmer.

It's a new thinking and it looks interesting.

•  12-04-2008, 13:45 261335 in reply to 261291

When you enter trim mode, if you click on the left monitor, farter from the center, you'll be able to trim the left side clip (A clip). If you click on the right monitor, you'll trim the opposite side (B clip).

If you click between the two monitors, it will get back to two sides trim (AB trim).

On another thread, I told you how to fast import a fused .avi clip in MC.

You have to change the "File Pixel to video mapping" from RGB to 601 SD... in the settings of the inport dialog box. In this case, it will simply create a copy of the file on the hard drive without any transcode.

And yes, you can only apply freeze frame from the source clip, and not at the timeline. So, you have to use the match frame function. More steps than with Liquid, but same result.

•  12-04-2008, 13:50 261339 in reply to 261335

The trouble will be if you have a clip among hundreds others.

Again Liquid seems faster at least for the moment.

•  12-04-2008, 13:59 261344 in reply to 261339

So, in this case, as I also said, you can use the "Select after playline" tool, as you do in Liquid.

•  12-04-2008, 14:07 261349 in reply to 261344

George,

About 12 months ago, Douglas Bruce moved across from Liquid to MC and he has produced a series of tutorials for Liquid users who migrated that are available here http://community.avid.com/forums/t/64628.aspx Scroll down the thread a wee bit and there about 50+ tutorials that are worth watching for new Liquid to MC users.

Now Douglas doesn't have the best of 'voice-overs' in the world, but he knows his stuff and to my untutored eye, he has produced among the best movies in terms of quality and subject that I have ever seen, not just on these boards, but anywhere!!!

•  12-04-2008, 14:09 261350 in reply to 261344

Yes that is ok. I meant about freeze frame.

Some things that I am not there yet:

Effects manipulation like color correction 3D's and timewarps.

I think that Liquid has better CC than MC but this is the first impression only.

Background rendering is missing from MC. It is really very annoying that each time you need to render something

you have to wait.

As with my HV 30 I noticed that when I shoot at 25p and choosing at MC for the capture it says wrong capture format but when I selece 1080i with HDV raster type it's ok. 

At the start I couldn't capture but I got the trick that if you need to capture you have to set the right capture parameters. For HDV you have to select it first at the project properties. Otherwise it can't be recognized.

•  12-04-2008, 14:18 261361 in reply to 261349

alan wells:

George,

About 12 months ago, Douglas Bruce moved across from Liquid to MC and he has produced a series of tutorials for Liquid users who migrated that are available here http://community.avid.com/forums/t/64628.aspx Scroll down the thread a wee bit and there about 50+ tutorials that are worth watching for new Liquid to MC users.

Now Douglas doesn't have the best of 'voice-overs' in the world, but he knows his stuff and to my untutored eye, he has produced among the best movies in terms of quality and subject that I have ever seen, not just on these boards, but anywhere!!!

Thanks I know about Douglas. We communicate from time to time.

What there is to be understood is that when I want to learn MC it means I want to be as fast as with Liquid where I am really fast.

Like with the actor I am rehearsing now for my new short I don't have to think what to tell him about what I need is the same with editing.

I don't want to think how I am doing this or that. I must do it right away. Chi! Big Smile

•  12-04-2008, 14:30 261379 in reply to 261350

I just verified and the "Select after playing" tool is called "Select Right" in MC.

The MC CC can also be really powerful. It's easier to match white balance between the clips or different cameras.

About rendering, be sure to have Special / Render On-the-Fly" activated for real time scrubbing.

In Settings / Trim Settings. You can also activate "Render On-The-Fly".

But I agree, background rendering is missing. I made a feature request about it. And I am not the only one that made it. I also asked for project templates.

Also, if you output via a firewire device, you can set in Settings / Video Display : Output to DV Device - Realtime Encoding. It gives you realtime playback of realtime effects via firewire.

You can also set the Desktop Play Delay if needed to sync the output with the timeline playback.

And for better preview performance, you can also select the nVidia card in the OpenGL Hardware drop down menu.

Only the blue dots effects that need rendering for realtime playback on the timeline.

Timewarp is different in MC. There is some things I prefer in Liquid. But I think I found some useful workaround in MC. Maybe you should read about it in the manual.

•  12-04-2008, 14:48 261400 in reply to 261379

Which is the shortcut for select right to add it to keyboard mapping?

I have Render on the fly always enabled.

I read a little (I don't like manuals) I watch a tutorial for Xpress Pro (it seems alike) and I practice which is the best option for me.

I learn by doing faster. Before going to CC and other stuff I have to be fast at timeline editing.

In contrary with some I want to work on both (Liquid and MC) fast. 

•  12-04-2008, 15:45 261430 in reply to 261400

You have to customize your keyboard. You need to open the keyboard in the Settings / Keyboard.

Then, open the command palette in the Tools / Command palette.

- A tip to apply a short cut menu from a fast menu or the drop down menus to the keyboard is to choose the "Menu to Button Reassignment" option instead of "button to button" in the command palette.

Then,  click a target button in the Keyboard palette or other palette (for example, the Command palette under a monitor).

The pointer changes to a small white menu. Select the menu command you want to the target button.

The initials for the menu command appear on the target button.

•  12-04-2008, 15:50 261431 in reply to 261430

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know how to customize my keyboard. I already have done this and adding new items.

I just can't find which is the select right button.

•  12-04-2008, 15:58 261433 in reply to 261431

Sylvain,

this refers to 3.0.5.

We have 3 so I have to update it to that version.

This is a nice addition.

•  12-04-2008, 15:58 261437 in reply to 261431

Ok.

Go in the Command Palette (Edit tab) "Select Left" <-  or  "Select Right"  ->

It's just to the right of Splice-In and Overwrite.

Another tip is ctrl + A to select all tracks and ctrl + shift + A to unselect all tracks.

•  12-04-2008, 16:00 261438 in reply to 261431

I might as well ask my question here. Is there a delete before and after playline in MC or did I overlook it?  I really like this feature as I can remove unwanted footage without using the razor tool.
Page 1 of 30 (750 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy