Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Import DVD- I have no sound

Last post 12-10-2008, 14:32 by Marc P.. 24 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-08-2008, 7:38 252168

Import DVD- I have no sound

I have recorded a sequence on PANASONIC DV RECORDER D77 on to DVD disc (DVD-RW or DVD-R the result is the same) and have finalised disc to play on most DVD players.

When I import into Studio 9-4-3 everything is fine, a perfect MPEG  video except the sound is missing .

Any advice would be helpful

•  11-10-2008, 8:07 252786 in reply to 252168

Re: Import DVD- I have no sound

I wonder:  1)  Does your Panasonic recorder use AC3 (Dolby) audio, and if so, 2) does Studio have Dolby audio "unlocked"?

BittMann

•  11-10-2008, 12:12 252892 in reply to 252786

Thanks for your reply BittMan. In answer to your question:- 1) Panasonic DVD Recorder is Model DMR-EX77EB and Audio is Dolby Digital (2Channel) Linear PCM (XP Mode) .

2) In Studio I cannot find where Dolby Audio could be locked/unlocked.

Just a further note - I have imported other DVD Titles, mostly from my own DVD's that have been burned either in Studio or in Nero, these have all been OK.

My routine in Studio is to go to File - Import DVD Titles - put DVD into drive - open Video_TS file - check titles to import. At this point if I check the preview window the Video is perfect but the sound is missing.

Jetstor

•  11-10-2008, 13:29 252921 in reply to 252892

I don't remember/don't know what the Dolby unlock is (I have a "Media Suite" version of S9, and it *came* to me unlocked).  I would *guess* that you'd see it in your activation codes area -- do you find anything when you look under "help"?

As for your audio choices -- if you chose Linear PCM on your recorder, will Studio import those discs with audio?  (Use a RW so you don't burn good media, of course!).  If it does, then that'd also point back to Dolby not being there.

BittMann

•  11-12-2008, 7:32 253492 in reply to 252921

Thanks Bittman

1) No help from Studio 9 Plus (9.4.3)

2) No help from Pinnacle (help for Studio 9 deceased! )

3) No answers relevant from Knowledge Base

4) Have tried all possibe combinations of Audio output on my DVD recorder, in each case I get a perfect DVD with sound which will play via TV, or on my computer via WMP or Power DVD with sound. But fail to get an import with sound in Studio

Jetstor

•  11-12-2008, 8:01 253502 in reply to 253492

OK, how about reverse if forward won't work?

I've used this method to import DVDs that Studio won't import on its own.   It's kinda klunky (ugly batch file), but it does work, and it works (in my experience) more reliably and with better results than Studio itself usually does, even up and through Version 12.  It "heals around" issues that throw Studio for a tizzy, etc.

(Some folks still report that it can have problems with out-of-sync audio, etc.-- I've never had that happen to me, but if it does happen, then it's always possible to "slide" the audio back into sync on Studio's timeline).

BittMann

•  11-12-2008, 19:12 253749 in reply to 253492

Can you send me a PM of your Serial number and Passport number so I can check what keys are activated on your installation?
  •  11-13-2008, 7:31 253919 in reply to 253749

Thanks Marc P for your input.

Here are the relevant numbers and codes

Serial No Studio ver 9   Deleted

Patch installed for Studio 9.4.3

Activation Key for Studio 9 Plus Deleted

Passport number  Deleted

Jetstor  

•  11-13-2008, 15:13 254108 in reply to 253919

I have copied the original numbers and took it down. You should have sent those over a PM so it doesn't get exposed. Those can be used without you knowing. Please bear with me.
  •  11-13-2008, 21:07 254170 in reply to 254108

Sorry Marc P.

Not familiar with the meaning of PM.

Thanks for dealing with it

•  11-14-2008, 15:46 254526 in reply to 254170

It stands for Private Message. :) I'll send an update when I get any update from support.
  •  11-15-2008, 8:05 254688 in reply to 253502

Thanks Bittman

I have read your Post re the Download from Windows MPlayer and will try it out.

Unfotunately I got lost in the complexeties of the downloads available, can you just point me in the right direction

•  11-15-2008, 18:01 254840 in reply to 254688

I'll try!

Basically:

Go to MPlayer Headquarters, and download the current Windows version -- as of now it's "MPlayer 1.0rc2 Windows" (2nd download in the list).

It's a Zip file.  Unzip the file (use the Windows "extract" function), and unzip the directory onto your C: drive.  I make sure that the directory is  renamed as C:\mplayer so that the files are easy to find.

Now, you should have a working MPlayer/MEncoder setup.  Now, to get the batch conversion file:

Right-click on and download getdvd.bat and save it into the c:\mplayer directory that you just created.

Now, to import your DVD, you double-click on "my computer", open the C:\mplayer directory, double-click on the getdvd.bat file, and follow the prompts.

Reasonable?

BittMann 

•  11-18-2008, 11:26 255835 in reply to 254840

Nearly a good result

Followed your instructions carefully, and noticed that as the MS-DOS did it's stuff there were a great many errors listed, but went ahead anyway.

The result was an MPG file that will play in Studio with sound, thats real progress for me. The downside is that I have some glitches in the sound, and it gets progressivly out of synch with the video.

Can I correct the errors in the sound? Also in one of your earlier posts I noticed a reference to being able to slip audio back into synch with video in Studio. How!

Thanks for your patience, we are getting there.

•  11-18-2008, 13:00 255876 in reply to 255835

The downside is that I have some glitches in the sound, and it gets progressivly out of synch with the video.

Interesting.  If you have glitches in the sound from this extraction, then it APPEARS that you have a master disc that has a discontinuity in its audio track.  That may have been what gave Studio indigestion in the first place.

Does your audio only seem to slip out of sync when these "glitches" occur?  (e.g. if you had 2 glitches of one second duration, would the audio be in-sync until the first glitch, one second off between the first and the 2nd glitch, and 2 seconds off after the 2nd glitch?)  If that's the case, then you can (usually) chop the video apart at these glitches, lock the video track, and slide the audio track for an appropriate duration.  That can put things to right again.  It'd be a real pain if there is more than a few of these glitches, though.

I seem to remember a conversation in the old webboard in the S9 days that someone (wish I could remember who!) had a recorder, and it, seemingly randomly, would have dropouts in its recordings.  These dropouts would cause all kinds of havoc with Studio's import.  It sure sounds like you may be seeing something similar, here.

Hey, I wonder...this isn't necessarily the route that I'd take if it were me, but what if you were able to do a full reencode of the video along with a reencode of the audio?  Would these glitches then "heal themselves"?

Maybe it'd be worth trying...here's a version of the batch file that creates an MJPEG AVI file...might be worth seeing if it goes out-of-sync as well.  Same instructions as the original MPEG version apply.  getdvdavi.bat

•  11-19-2008, 14:22 256245 in reply to 255876

Thanks

You have given me quite a bit to think about, will go quiet for a bit, but will try the             re-encode route.

•  11-20-2008, 15:13 256541 in reply to 256245

Let us know how it turns out.
  •  11-26-2008, 11:51 258422 in reply to 255876

I have run into trouble

Follwed instructions re getdvdavi.bat File, but when I imported into mplayer and tried to play my DVD I received an error message ' mplayer is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'.

What have I done wrong.

•  11-26-2008, 14:37 258476 in reply to 258422

Did you put the batch file in the mplayer directory?  (That'd be the same place that you put the original getdvd.bat file.)

If it's not in the same directory as the mplayer.exe and mencoder.exe files, it'll give you that error.

BittMann

•  11-28-2008, 6:37 258949 in reply to 258476

Thanks for your patience,

You were quite right I had installed the batch file getdadavi.bat into the wrong file.

I put this right and I now have an AVI which will play in POWER DVD.

So far so good, I now go to Studio and bring it into my project, GREAT ! It plays fine no dropouts of sound and no glitches. The project is good when I look at it on Studio's Timeline, but the original recording was made in widescreen (aspect ratio 16-9) and when I choose 16-9 for the images in the album Studio's player only shows a part of the image (about two thirds). Is there away in which I can correct this in Studio, or do I have to go back to an earlier process.

I'm not sure about the Sync in Studio yet not being able to see the whole image.

•  12-02-2008, 14:37 260375 in reply to 258949

Jetstor:

but the original recording was made in widescreen (aspect ratio 16-9) and when I choose 16-9 for the images in the album Studio's player only shows a part of the image (about two thirds). Is there away in which I can correct this in Studio, or do I have to go back to an earlier process.

I'm not sure about the Sync in Studio yet not being able to see the whole image.

Can you try and do a sample render to file, does it show the whole image?

•  12-02-2008, 14:42 260378 in reply to 260375

Yeah, what Marc said.  Sorry 'bout not seeing your follow-up.  I've never tried to do 16:9 video with MJPEG, so I have no idea how that'll work out.  Hopefully Marc's method will smack Studio into seeing the entire image -- if not, I'll have to see if I can make a tweak to getdvdavi.bat that might help.

Let us know (sorry this is turning out to be such a grind...).

•  12-09-2008, 6:33 263098 in reply to 260378

Thanks Bittman for your patience over the previous weeks, and to Marc P for the input, between us we have a acheived a good result.

I tried a sample render, but found the same situation, ie Studio's player showing only about a third of the whole image whereas the image on the timeline was perfect.

OK, so why not try burning the image to DVD. What's to lose?

So I tried it, and imported the DVD into Studio, and BINGO the image in the player was the right size, both video and sound track were good, and synchronised,  Big Smile

I'm so happy, as an 82 year old trying to keep up with modern technology each new step is a great acheivment,.............. who knows I may splash out on Studio 12 yet!.

Thanks again

JETSTOR

•  12-09-2008, 7:17 263109 in reply to 263098

Hey, super!  I'm glad it was a "preview" and not necessarily a "make movie" issue. 

Well, I wonder if it's worth me trying to figure out what a 16:9 import would look like in MPlayer.  I *thought* that you'd end up with "tall, skinny people" in a normal-aspect (4:3) page, but obviously that didn't happen.   And I hate it when things don't work like I expect...Stick out tongue

If this is something that you'll be wanting to do more of, we could get together (maybe I could remote-control your computer so that I can see the attributes of the imported video?) and try to figure out how to let you see the whole frame during editing.

Alternatively, I could make one more version of the getdvdavi.bat script to encode to something other than MJPEG...that would be possible as well, and might take care of what you're seeing.

Anyway, glad it's worked out enough to get you going.  Let me know if we can be of any more help!

BittMann

•  12-10-2008, 14:32 263615 in reply to 263098

Jetstor:

Thanks Bittman for your patience over the previous weeks, and to Marc P for the input, between us we have a acheived a good result.

I tried a sample render, but found the same situation, ie Studio's player showing only about a third of the whole image whereas the image on the timeline was perfect.

OK, so why not try burning the image to DVD. What's to lose?

So I tried it, and imported the DVD into Studio, and BINGO the image in the player was the right size, both video and sound track were good, and synchronised,  Big Smile

I'm so happy, as an 82 year old trying to keep up with modern technology each new step is a great acheivment,.............. who knows I may splash out on Studio 12 yet!.

Thanks again

JETSTOR

I'm glad to hear good results as always.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy