Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Removing S11 messed up S12

Last post 06-26-2008, 19:43 by shroyro. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-20-2008, 20:37 200568

Removing S11 messed up S12

I am at a loss now...I read after install S12 ultimate and then running the import process, I could then remove S11 ultimate.  So I did, now I get a adorage plugin error saying it cannot load the service and all my transitions are gone.  So what do I do, install S11 again and leave it?
  •  06-20-2008, 21:01 200580 in reply to 200568

Re: Removing S11 messed up S12

Several Threads re: this now. Looks like that's what you'll have to do, untill Pinnacle have fixed the prob.
  •  06-20-2008, 21:01 200581 in reply to 200568

You may need to check this thread.
  •  06-20-2008, 21:17 200583 in reply to 200581

That is just fabulous...Thanks for pointing that thread out.  And thank you Pinnacle again for the great QA work.  think I would have learned my lesson by now...
  •  06-20-2008, 22:48 200597 in reply to 200581

Marc P.:
    You may need to check this thread.

Marc - I appreciate the efforts of you and many others to help existing users who have upgraded and are now struggling after uninstalling 11.  Hopefully, Pinnacle is now working on a new and improved transfer wizard with updated instructions for upgrading.  I am probably like many users who would plan to remove the older version after installing 12.  Last time it was just SmartSound that disappeared.  Please tell me that there are efforts underway to address this.

•  06-21-2008, 2:40 200653 in reply to 200597

I think Pinnacle should change the advice they give about instalation. If you intend to remove S11 or 10, then do so before installing S12.

An upgrade can be authorised by inserting a disc of an old version and entering it's serial number.

The transfer wizard can be used to install previously purchaced content from earlier versions.

At least, that's the way it's supposed to work.

•  06-21-2008, 8:13 200768 in reply to 200653

So, it seems that the plan for now is to simply not uninstall S11.

To clarify, is it uninstalling S11 that causes the problems, or is it uninstalling the S11 Bonus DVD ... or both.

B

•  06-21-2008, 8:54 200779 in reply to 200768

It seems the Jury is still out, but I agree with Jeff that it would be nice for an update to the upgrade instructions.

For me, I will not want to keep the old version around.  So following Jeff's suggestion to uninstall 11 first I would have to hope that the upgrade 12 install would:

• Find my Smartsound that worked with 11 (after some effort and with thanks to this forum)
    • Find my 11 3rd party tools: BIAS SoundSoap and StageTools MovingPictures
    • Thru the transfer wizard (alternate path) let me insert disks so that it can find HFX, RTFX, and some purchased premium Titles

I am curious if any content can be downloaded from Pinnacle if I have the activation keys - for example I have some keys for Dream Glow (RTFX received for registering), Divx, and MPEG-2 and 4 support.  Can these be downloaded as you could in 11?

Bob

•  06-21-2008, 9:22 200792 in reply to 200779

Speaking of SoundSoap, I just tried to use it from S12, and it does nothing.

The interface is there and all the controls work, but it does nothing ... no effect on the sound. The "wave form" that appeared in the center oval isn't there either.

Anybody else tried it?

B

•  06-21-2008, 9:27 200793 in reply to 200792

Yes Bob

You need to download and install the latest update. I did this and then it started working. S12 is obviouisly expecting to find the latest version, not the one on the S11 U CD. My Guess anyway...

•  06-21-2008, 10:30 200814 in reply to 200793

jjn:

Yes Bob

You need to download and install the latest update. I did this and then it started working. S12 is obviouisly expecting to find the latest version, not the one on the S11 U CD. My Guess anyway...

Thanks Jeff!

I downloaded the update version 2.1.1 from Pinnacle and installed and re-authorized it, but it still doesn't work. Is that what you did?

B

•  06-21-2008, 11:06 200832 in reply to 200814

I also downloaded the latest version, 2.1.1, installed and re-authorized. It still doesn't work properly. If I select a segment on the timeline, open soundsoap, click on the noise button, play the segment, I hear the noise for about two seconds, then the noise is reduced. I don't see anything in the wash window. When I close soundsoap and play the segment on the timeline, I get two seconds of noise, then it drops, the noise reduction should be applied to the entire segment.  I still have ver 11 installed, I made the same check with 11 and soundsoap works just fine.

Don

•  06-21-2008, 13:08 200877 in reply to 200832

I found the same. It works in S11 but not in S12.

B

•  06-21-2008, 13:43 200884 in reply to 200877

I've never been that convinced of soundsoap working correctly in Studio 11 anyway, but I am getting better results in S12 that I did before in S11. The only difference is that I only have Soundsoap installed on the clean edit partion, that doesn't have anything other than S12.

I've gone as far as making up an audio track that has hum deliberately added. As it has a good 5 second leader at the begining that has nothing but the hum, it is possible to "learn noise" and make it stick.

•  06-21-2008, 14:59 200906 in reply to 200884

On a whim, I tried installing the SoundSoad update a second time.

The first time I tried to use it, it worked. Now, it doesn't work on anything again ... in S12.

Hmm 

•  06-21-2008, 15:11 200910 in reply to 200906

Same here. It 'works' but I wouldn't say it 'works' in the conventional sense that it is of any use.

I had to put the Bias soundsoap PE.dll version 2.1.1.15702 file into c:/program files/pinnacle/studio12/plugins/vst/*.* directory just to get it Studio 12 to see it! The waveform appears after you let it "learn" about 6 times and hold your mouth a certain way and start kicking the PC!

The upgrade seems to be for a 2.1 version, not a PE Personal Edition version and then it asks if you want trial mode or authorisation. (It will pick up your activation keys, as long as you haven't de-installed it). It gives you ther option to re-register and doesn't really tell you the outcome of that! It may randomly, think that you are not longer worth registering - it depends what mood its in.

I had the licence file backed up and pretended I was on another PC and re-fed it. But it just messes up your authorisation. I even tried TRIAL and studio 12 crashed. I tried running the file as standalone and it crashed. So I removed the Bias update and went back to the original S11 version of the plugin.

It does eventually show the red Waveform and blue noise overlay, but you have to keep playing and messing with it - letting it learn a few times wakes it up. Luckily, I don't use this plug in. 

But with all that authenticate nonsense - I just lost the will to live.

So I don't know if it is running in Trial mode or what. In can expire for all I care. I'll put it in the same recycle bin as Midi scorefitter.

•  06-22-2008, 13:09 201254 in reply to 200768

bhurst:

So, it seems that the plan for now is to simply not uninstall S11.

To clarify, is it uninstalling S11 that causes the problems, or is it uninstalling the S11 Bonus DVD ... or both.

B

To uninstall 11 or not uninstall (at least until better instructions are available) ... that is the question.

Uninstalling after the 12 install and the content transfer (first pass anyway) sounds fine until you actually remove 11 in which case you need to go thru the latest forum advised method for transfer preparing, partial re-installing, plug-in updating, and repairing.

Uninstalling before the 12 install is sounding better and better to me as I would have to do the latter part anyway and can just skip the first transfer pass.  I like the idea of complete 11 removal, regdelete, etc. to have a pristine(ish) environment before I would load 12.

My chief worry remains SmartSound.  This has been covered in several other threads, but my quicktracks came from 9 plus, not version 10.  I believe I can get it back together if need be, but it really was a hassle last time.  I won't know until I try however and am pouring over forum discussions and pondering 12.

By the way, after reading many above responses about SoundSoap I would no longer conserned with keeping it - just MovingPictures.  I guess VitaScene simply gets replaced with the new one with 12 Ultimate.

Bob

•  06-22-2008, 13:30 201259 in reply to 201254

but my quicktracks came from 9 plus, not version 10.
    In which case don't uninstall S11! I too have content from S9, and for the 2GB of HDD space (out of 140GB) that St11 occupies, I'd rather spend a couple of days editing rather than trying to reclaim less than 2% of my hard disc. In fact, when I went to check those figures, I now realise that the Adobe PE4 trial is taking up nearly 4GBs of space and I haven't used it since last November.....
  •  06-22-2008, 15:15 201295 in reply to 201259

One other idea, you can get the Smartsound installer from the smartsound web site, I have upgraded my smartsound interface this way in studio 11 which had a older studio 10 smartsound interface running. Have not tested this on studio 12 yet, because my studio 12 has not been received yet (maybe tomorrow), so be careful.

I too I'm pondering the best way to install studio 12, but because I have Both studio 9, and 11 running on my current computer, I think I'm going the install 12, then remove 9 and 11 only because I have not use 9 in a long time, and un-installing 11 will break 9, and I think from everything I have seen so far, I can at least fix what will break in 12 when un-installing 11. Well if all goes wrong, I can remove everything and start with just the 12 upgrade.

•  06-22-2008, 21:20 201361 in reply to 201259

jjn:
    In which case don't uninstall S11!

I have thought about this option ... but it kind of reminds me of Star Trek - The Motion Picture where they are testing out the new transporter at the beginning and the poor guy gets half beamed up and the other half ... well, remains behind.  The post 12 install run of the transfer content wizard makes some stuff appear in 12, but it seems that all of the bits didn't quite move through space as one would expect.

Bob

•  06-22-2008, 21:28 201362 in reply to 201295

ghuck:

One other idea, you can get the Smartsound installer from the smartsound web site, I have upgraded my smartsound interface this way in studio 11 which had a older studio 10 smartsound interface running. Have not tested this on studio 12 yet, because my studio 12 has not been received yet (maybe tomorrow), so be careful.

That is what I did last time moving from 9 to 11.  Unfortunately my old 9 plus CD's would not read properly and so I needed to get help from SmartSound.  They granted me a special access to get the installer you refer to and I was able to somehow get it all sorted out in 11.  I've still got the file, and they still have the version of the quicktracks installer for XP on their site (3.0.6.0).  I could probably get it back together.

When i moved to 11 last time, I followed their instructions to completely remove all and then do the upgrade.  All was super smooth - except for SmartSound.

•  06-22-2008, 22:07 201366 in reply to 201362

Your studio 9 disk are getting flaky too, I though it was just me. The last time I loaded it, I had all kinds of read errors, had to go to extreme measures to read the disk, I hope I never have to re-install 9 to work on a old project, crossing my fingers that 9 projects will work in 12 if every needed. I know generally they should convert, but there are some things that people have had problems with, studio 8/9 was just built using different formats.
  •  06-23-2008, 9:19 201586 in reply to 201366

ghuck:
    Your studio 9 disk are getting flaky too, I though it was just me. The last time I loaded it, I had all kinds of read errors, had to go to extreme measures to read the disk, I hope I never have to re-install 9 to work on a old project, crossing my fingers that 9 projects will work in 12 if every needed. I know generally they should convert, but there are some things that people have had problems with, studio 8/9 was just built using different formats.

Your experience sounds so familiar.  The problem with the 9 install disk seemed to affect the music part only, and after many attempts the situation was resolved by contacting SmartSound who provided the needed original music install file.  I also had trouble with old 9 projects in 11 and basically started over.  This was not so bad as I was able to re-create the parts of my video template that I use for all of my projects.  Studio 12 will bring me 2 versions removed from SmartSound support so I am very protective of my music library and installer files.

•  06-23-2008, 12:45 201665 in reply to 200568

I had a simular problem when I uninstalled S11, only it was with the HFX plugin. It would crash the S12 when I tried to use it. I put in the S12 install disk and started install again. The choices are Uninstall or Repair. I chose repair and presto the plugins now work. I don't know if this will solve your problem but it is worth a try.
  •  06-23-2008, 18:49 201784 in reply to 200779

shroyro:

It seems the Jury is still out, but I agree with Jeff that it would be nice for an update to the upgrade instructions.

For me, I will not want to keep the old version around.  So following Jeff's suggestion to uninstall 11 first I would have to hope that the upgrade 12 install would:

• Find my Smartsound that worked with 11 (after some effort and with thanks to this forum)
    • Find my 11 3rd party tools: BIAS SoundSoap and StageTools MovingPictures
    • Thru the transfer wizard (alternate path) let me insert disks so that it can find HFX, RTFX, and some purchased premium Titles

I am curious if any content can be downloaded from Pinnacle if I have the activation keys - for example I have some keys for Dream Glow (RTFX received for registering), Divx, and MPEG-2 and 4 support.  Can these be downloaded as you could in 11?

Bob

Thanks for the kind note Bob.

For your questions. Ideally this is how it should go in a nutshell.

1. Uninstall 11
    2. Reinstall 12
    3. Run Content transfer for your previous plug ins and the Studio 11's Bonus DVD for the other content that you previous unlocked within 11.

It seems that we have tangled ourselves up in this, what should be a simple procedure.

I'll collect information from the boards about the best way to go about these and compile them in a Sticky. In the meantime please see my draft below. Please by all means everyone is more than welcome to comment or to suggest about it.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

For those having problems with Studio 12 crashing after uninstalling Studio 11. Try running a repair install of S12 through the Disc if you have it or through the downloaded installer.

Here is my proposed alternate clean installation method for Studio 12 Upgrade:

1.       Remove all versions of Studio from the system.
    Follow FAQ article 12798 for Studio 10 (Sec 2. Procedure 1-7.3)

Follow FAQ article 15802 for Studio 11 (Sec 2. Procedure 1-9)

2.      If you have an install disc: Insert your Studio 12 disc into the DVD drive. The DVD should auto-launch. If it does not, use Windows Explorer to browse to the DVD. Look In the Setup folder, click on the setup.exe file to begin the installation of Studio 12.

3.      If you have a download version : If you have a download version of Studio 12, start the installation of the Studio software by locating the Downloads folder that was created in the download, open it, and double click on the Pinnacle_Studio_v12_Setup.part1.exe file to begin the install.

4. Follow the FAQ article 17553 to use the Content Transfer Wizard.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy