Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Import DVDs - "unknown failure" error message.

Last post 12-09-2008, 20:26 by Marc P.. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-24-2008, 13:43 163582

Import DVDs - "unknown failure" error message.

Hello,

I'm trying to import DVDs made by the Sony VRD-MC5 device (http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/VRD-MC5) I have a number of old Hi-8 tapes that were converted to DVD using that sony model.  Everytime I try to import the DVD into Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate, I get an error message that says "unknown failure" and the entire application hangs.  I have to shut it down with System Manager.

I am able to import other DVDs, created on other computers, but not the ones created on the VRD-MC5.  Does anybody have an idea of what to do?  I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Pinnacle, used the registry deletion tool, etc., same problem.

Thanks,

Steig

•  04-24-2008, 21:48 163773 in reply to 163582

Re: Import DVDs - "unknown failure" error message.

Try copying the contents of these DVDs into a folder on your desktop and try to import from there.
  •  04-25-2008, 7:11 163961 in reply to 163773

That is a great suggestion, but the only change to the original behavior is that after the error message of "unknown failure", Studio exits all by itself.  When importing from the DVD, I would have to use Task Manager to shut it down as it was hung. 

DVD's made by the VRD-MC5 only have a Video_TS subdirectory.  I've noticed that other DVD's have a Video_RM directory as well as the Video_TS.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem and how I can remedy it if it does.

•  05-29-2008, 15:58 185901 in reply to 163961

Pinnacle tech support asked a number of questions and ultimately arrived at the fact that they don't support DVDs made with this device.  I don't know if it is just the Sony or if the problem would exist with other products as well.

•  05-29-2008, 17:50 185925 in reply to 163961

FWIW - I've only Imported DVD Titles once & that was to test a prob another Poster had. He had both TS & RM Directories. I just Copied a PC made DVD to Desktop & Imported Titles from there & Posted as I did it. The Original Poster followed the procedure & Imported Titles ok. I know zilch about TS Directories, VOB Files etc. However I recall Googling RM on behalf of OP, to discover that they referred to additional Directories made by DVD Recorders  & deduced that they were irrelevant & all you need is the TS, which you have. Therefore Try Copying DVD to Desktop & Importing Titles from there, as already suggested by Mark P.

Anyone-else?

•  05-29-2008, 18:06 185933 in reply to 185925

I copied the DVD (which really meant the TS subdirectory) to the hard drive and attempted importing from there with the exact same error message.  Remember, I can import non-protected commercial DVDs and I can import DVD's created by my computer.  Only when they are created by the Sony DVD device do I get this error message.

•  05-29-2008, 18:24 185943 in reply to 185933

OK - When I Googled RM, the Link I looked @ had a raft of suggested fixes for Importing DVD Titles from DVD Recorder authored DVDs. Way-above my head (but not really, since I don't Import  Commercial/DVD Recorder Titles). As I recall, the Link I looked @ referred, in part, to Phillips Recorders. However Googling RM Directories might also give you a Fix for Sony. Or Google "Importing DVD Titles from Sony (Your model No) Recorder. Try that.    
  •  10-09-2008, 7:01 241881 in reply to 163582

Hello Steig,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Using the same Sony device to create my home-videos on DVD. I am new to Pinnacle, can you please let me know if something works out for you?

Thanks,
    Andre.

•  10-09-2008, 7:39 241890 in reply to 241881

Hello Andre,

I do have a fix, but it isn't pretty.  Unfortunately Pinnacle hasn't made any progress in this area with their new version 12 product, so I'm still in the same boat.  The work around is that I use Roxio Easy Media Creator version 9 (this is an old version) to rip the DVD into an Mpeg file.  Then I go back to Pinnacle to do the editing.  I have no idea why Roxio can nail this aspect of things and Pinnacle can't but at least it works.  I don't have a Pinnacle only solution.

Good luck!

Steig

•  10-09-2008, 14:15 242034 in reply to 241881

Andre Zein:

Hello Steig,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Using the same Sony device to create my home-videos on DVD. I am new to Pinnacle, can you please let me know if something works out for you?

Thanks,
    Andre.

What version of Studio are you using?
  •  10-14-2008, 3:59 243086 in reply to 242034

This is my first post here so bear with me.  I created a movie in Studio Plus V.11, burned it do a dvd.  Mistakenly deleted the project.  Am attempting to 'Import from DVD' (my own), I get the message that it is copy-righted, locked or does not recognize the program which created it! yet its a Pinnacle creation.  There are two files on the disk, video_ts and audio_ts, if I click on either one, I am told I do not have permission to open these files even after giving full permission.  I am baffled and confused. Plus, I do not know how to copy this dvd to my hard drive, I have attempted via a folder on my desktop and all I get is the same story with the two folders showing up but cannot play the dvd or import to Studio.  I am extremely frustrated abt the whole thing. HELP!!!!!

•  10-14-2008, 20:36 243334 in reply to 243086

Lady Estelle:

This is my first post here so bear with me.  I created a movie in Studio Plus V.11, burned it do a dvd.  Mistakenly deleted the project.  Am attempting to 'Import from DVD' (my own), I get the message that it is copy-righted, locked or does not recognize the program which created it! yet its a Pinnacle creation.  There are two files on the disk, video_ts and audio_ts, if I click on either one, I am told I do not have permission to open these files even after giving full permission.  I am baffled and confused. Plus, I do not know how to copy this dvd to my hard drive, I have attempted via a folder on my desktop and all I get is the same story with the two folders showing up but cannot play the dvd or import to Studio.  I am extremely frustrated abt the whole thing. HELP!!!!!

You may have done the right thing, but copy it on a an empty folder and browse to this same folder in the Import DVD titles prompt. See if you'll get the same error message.
  •  11-16-2008, 19:01 255168 in reply to 243086

Lady Estelle:

Same problem here, but with Studio 12 Ultimate.  I had about 5 or 6 homemade DVDs that I tried to import into Studio 12 and I get the message saying it is copyrighted, locked, or is not recognized by the program.  I have tried copying video and audio ts folders to harddrive via DVD shrink and then importing off hdd but I get the same error.  I thought it might be something I did in burning the DVDs, but then I opened up Studio 10 and it imported all of the same DVDs with no problem.  I'd also like to add that I have Studio 12 installed on two machines, one of which is an XP MCE and the other is a Vista Premium: both computer had the same error.  My XP machine also has Studio 10 though and like I said, it imported fine.  Obviously I have found a workaround for this problem, but it would be nice to know why Studio 12 ultimate isn't allowing import of non-copyrighted DVDs.  Thanks for the help!

•  11-17-2008, 18:38 255557 in reply to 255168

A20:
    Lady Estelle:

Same problem here, but with Studio 12 Ultimate.  I had about 5 or 6 homemade DVDs that I tried to import into Studio 12 and I get the message saying it is copyrighted, locked, or is not recognized by the program.  I have tried copying video and audio ts folders to harddrive via DVD shrink and then importing off hdd but I get the same error.  I thought it might be something I did in burning the DVDs, but then I opened up Studio 10 and it imported all of the same DVDs with no problem.  I'd also like to add that I have Studio 12 installed on two machines, one of which is an XP MCE and the other is a Vista Premium: both computer had the same error.  My XP machine also has Studio 10 though and like I said, it imported fine.  Obviously I have found a workaround for this problem, but it would be nice to know why Studio 12 ultimate isn't allowing import of non-copyrighted DVDs.  Thanks for the help!

Are you using Studio 12 with the 12.1 patch applied?
  •  11-22-2008, 15:09 257073 in reply to 255557

Marc P.:
    A20:
    Lady Estelle:

Are you using Studio 12 with the 12.1 patch applied?

Yes, Studio 12 Ultimate with 12.1 patch applied on both machines.

•  11-25-2008, 14:57 258099 in reply to 257073

Were you getting the problem prior to 12.1 as well?
  •  12-06-2008, 2:36 262032 in reply to 258099

Marc P.:
    Were you getting the problem prior to 12.1 as well?

I never tried importing a DVD before the 12.1 patch; after I'm done with my current project I can try reverting back.  However, this is my only issue so far with the new version, all of the more serious problems I encountered were fixed with the 12.1 patch.  Nonetheless, a reversion may help isolate the problem.  Have you heard of anyone else having this exact issue?  I tried searching the forums and this was the closest I could find.  I would assume that it is a Vista issue or perhaps my hardware...but two computers with two different OS's makes me doubtful of that theory.  Thanks for the help!

•  12-07-2008, 19:55 262574 in reply to 258099

I am having this same issue with Pinnacle Studio 12.1.  I did have the issue with version 12 as well, and upgraded to 12.1 in hopes that it would resolve the issue.

I used a Sony RDR-VX525 to copy the original VHS to DVD.

I have tried copying the files to the local hard drive and then importing, but as soon as I pick the directory, I get the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

•  12-08-2008, 8:42 262779 in reply to 262574

I wonder if an alternate method of importing from DVD would yield any better result?  See here for a discussion with someone who is using version 9.4.3...there are a couple of things to (possibly) try there that may help determine if the disc recordings are truly "correct".  It seems like there can be problems in which audio discontinuities simply are too far out for Studio (and even some other programs) to be able to cope with 'em.  BUT, if the ugly command-line method of importing DVDs actually works, that'd at least get you working, if not working as "slick" as you might.

BittMann

•  12-09-2008, 20:26 263336 in reply to 262779

Looks like a nice thing to try, please post feedback about this alternate method.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy