Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

Last post 10-13-2008, 15:33 by Marc P.. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-16-2008, 15:25 138902

Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

Last month I upgraded from Studio 10+ to Studio 11+. The main reason was a bug in Studio 10 that made the program hang during rendering. I have a JVC hard disk camera, which produces video files in MPEG2 format, using the AC3 audio codec. When this is rendered to a DVD compatible MPEG2 file (explicitly, or implicitly by making a DVD), a minimal rendering is needed, as most of the material can be copied unchanged to the MPEG2 file. Only the transitions, the effects (which I do not use much) and the sound needs processing. The problem, however, is that there seems to be a probability of about 5% that the program hangs when it goes from one scene to the next during rendering.

What I see is that suddenly the progress bar and the counter with the frame number being processed, stop. This always happens on a boundary between two scenes. I can still click the Cancel butten, but then to program stops reacting completely and I have to use Windows to end the program. If I then restart the program and, without any modification, start again to render the project, it hangs at a different place in the project, but again exactly on a boundary between two scenes. In Studio 10, the length of the project did not matter, only the number of scenes. A project with less then 10 scenes normally rendered without problems. A project with 40 or more scenes was practically impossible to finish. So I had to start using small projects, using the resulting intermediate MPEG2 files in bigger projects, etc., keeping the number of scenes in one project below 20.

The main reason to go from Studio 10 to Studio 11 was that I heard that Studio 11 had less stability problems. However, it seems that this bug is still present. I did not experiment a lot yet with Studio 11. I now have a project of about 23 minutes and about 160 scenes. I have tried to render it a few times now, but it hang again each time at a different position, exactly at the boundary of two scenes. It never came further than about 40 scenes. Similar as what I know from Studio 10. There is one difference: if it does not hang, the boundary between two scenes is rendered smoother in Studio 11. In Studio 10 the rendering often slowed down near the boundary between two scenes.

I wonder:

1) whether anyone else sees similar problems,

2) whether it happens only with similar source footage

3) whether there are other suggestion to work around the problem, than to cut the project again in very small sub-projects.

•  03-17-2008, 15:04 139597 in reply to 138902

Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

I found a way to reproduce the problem with a simple project.
    Since I suspect that the problem is related to the type of source file,
    download the following two files:

http://www.KVI.nl/~zwarts/Src1.MOD
    http://www.KVI.nl/~zwarts/Src2.MOD
    from http://www.KVI.nl/~zwarts

Start a new project and place Src1 on the time line.
    Cut this scene at 8.00 seconds. (I don't know if it needs to be exact, but why not?)
    Insert Src2 in between these two scenes.
    Select all three scenes, copy and paste them 100 times. (Many times, hundred sounds nice.)
    Now go to Make Movie and try to create a DVD compatible MPEG2 file.
    I tried it a few times and it always stopped before about 10% of the scenes.
    I would like to know the results of others. How far did it go for you?

•  03-17-2008, 15:51 139608 in reply to 139597

Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

Are these files identical? Src2 links to the same Src1.MOD (both 20 megs). I tried this using Studio 11.1.2 and rendered to DVD ISO.

Details:
    Project Format - Set from first clip
    Couldn't copy the 3 clips 100 times, wouldn't fit a dvd.
    Project length - 30+ mins
    Burn to DVD ISO
    Best Quality

Update: Render completed. 

•  03-18-2008, 8:09 140058 in reply to 139608

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

Sorry, that was a typo. There must be two different shots. I corrected it. Can you try again?
  •  03-18-2008, 8:39 140066 in reply to 140058

Here the same result as with Marc.

40 minutes (60200 frs) on the timeline, rendered in 7 minutes.

Fred, you do have Vista.
    What's the grafic card?
    Maybe DX10?

•  03-18-2008, 14:32 140270 in reply to 140066

No, I use Windows XP.

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 5200.

The problem is there with or without hardware acceleration.

The problem does not occur when I work with shots from my previous camera, which are captured with firewire to an AVI file. This is why I think that there is a relation with the input file format.

•  03-18-2008, 15:34 140298 in reply to 140270

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

There have been many Posts, since S10 was 1st launched re: this Card being insufficient to Run 10/11. 

•  03-18-2008, 15:34 140299 in reply to 140270

There are Two diff hardware Acceleration that You can Adjust

1. On Studio Program ( setup > Video & Audio Accel) try to turn it off
    2. Hardware Acceleration of your Video card

Also check your Video card if its up to date to the latest Driver

Regards,

Marcus Geeked

•  03-18-2008, 15:35 140300 in reply to 140299

See my 1st Post.
  •  03-18-2008, 16:28 140334 in reply to 140298

colour:
    There have been many Posts, since S10 was 1st launched re: this Card being insufficient to Run 10/11. 
    I will attest to that fact.

I've been through several different cards with my progression from S8 to S11. The Nvidia 5200 would never work properly in Studio 10. So I upgraded just a notch to the 6200. I'm having satisfactory results in S11, but have realized that this is the minimum version of the card that I feel will work properly.

You may get by with the suggestions that Marcus has suggested, but I'm thinking that an upgrade might be in order. Your graphics card is somewhat more important than we seem to think it is.

•  03-18-2008, 16:28 140335 in reply to 140270

F.Zwarts:

No, I use Windows XP.

Then you have to update not only the card, but also your profile.

•  03-19-2008, 2:32 140540 in reply to 140298

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

OK, I find it difficult to accept that the graphics card is the cause of this defect.

I would have thought that disabling hardware acceleration would have fixed it.

I further do not have much problems and I find the performance quite acceptable.

However, I can't exclude that it is the problem.

What graphics card would you recommend, given that Studio is the most demanding application on my PC?

•  03-19-2008, 4:19 140568 in reply to 140540

Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

At least

DirectX® 9 of hoger compatibele grafische kaart met 64 MB (128 MB aanbevolen)

• 128 MB vereist voor Windows Vista (256 MB ATI® Radeon®9600+ of NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6 of hoger aanbevolen)
    • 256 MB vereist voor HD- en AVCHD-bewerking (ATI Radeon 9600+ of NVIDIA GeForce 6 of hoger aanbevolen)
  •  

No turbocache, dedicated or shared memory

•  03-19-2008, 8:21 140699 in reply to 140540

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

F.Zwarts:
    OK, I find it difficult to accept that the graphics card is the cause of this defect.

Go to Start/Run, and type in dxdiag in the dialog box. Post what specs show up in the display tab.

F.Zwarts:
    What graphics card would you recommend, given that Studio is the most demanding application on my PC?

Have a look HERE and HERE.
  •  03-20-2008, 20:26 141748 in reply to 140699

Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Re: Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

The FX 5200 may have some quirks but not to my testing. I have retried the test and am too using the FX 5200 AGP card on my test computer running windows XP with the latest forceware drivers. I was not able to reproduce the issue.
  •  03-26-2008, 14:32 144547 in reply to 138902

Betreft: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

I noticed something else that might be related. (Only in Studio 11, it was not present in Studio 10.)

When I go to Make Movie, make file, there is a list of file types to choose from (AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4, DivX, etc).

The strange thing is that each of them occurs twice in the list. For example there is twice a MPEG2 choice.

If the upper one is selected, make movie does not even start. If the lower one is selected, the problem described above occurs for large projects. Does that ring a bell?

•  03-26-2008, 14:39 144553 in reply to 144547

Double-codec problem.  *sigh*

Yes, if you choose the "wrong" codec, then Studio won't render.  It'll just sit there. 

And, in case it's of import to other users, I think you'll find the double-codec problem exists in 10.8 as well, so even S10 users aren't immune.  Sad

BittMann 

•  03-26-2008, 15:43 144583 in reply to 144547

F.Zwarts:
     Does that ring a bell?
    Yes, as Bittmann describes. I'm of the opinion that the double codec problem is quite annoying, but only causes concern of selecting the proper one. I haven't seen any evidence that this causes hanging or rendering problems.
  •  03-26-2008, 19:57 144673 in reply to 144547

Try repatching to the lastest Studio version. If you do it only once, the doubles may go away (see Bittmann's link).
  •  03-27-2008, 15:08 145257 in reply to 144673

Mark's right. Try reapplying the latest patch. I will also see if there are any updates on the double codec issue.
  •  04-11-2008, 13:05 154006 in reply to 138902

Re: Studio 11 hangs during rendering.

Hi,

Yes I get exactly the same problem. I'm running Studio 11.1.2. I've had this problem in the past but its been intermittent and after either deleting the temp file, rebooting the machine, or various other random things it has worked. I haven’t done any serious editing for a while but I've just been trying to render some video from a holiday quickly and it just keeps hanging. Some facts:

I'm running Vista 64 on a dual-process-dual-core Xeon with 2gig memory. The vista Windows Experience Index is 4.8 but this is the memory, my graphics, processor, harddisk is 5.9 (max is supposed to be 5!). The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. The harddisk is a RAID SCSI 15000rpm setup so its quite fast.

The movie is from a Sony CX6 in AVCHD format but I used the Sony Picture Motion Browser to convert the individual files into MPEG (DVD standard) as its easier and quicker to work with and I just want a quick dump of the entire movie; working with AVCHD is slow even on my machine.

There must be around 350 clips but I haven't checked which one it hangs on although it is random. There appears to be a link between the place where it hangs and the .bps I use, the bigger the bps the sooner it hangs - I suspect this is a red herring though. No special transitions or anything, just the clips.

The effects are exactly as described, render hangs, I can cancel the render but the menu items are grey out and the only way out is to terminal Studio. The process usage indicator goes to zero. It also always hangs on a between clips, exactly on the border.

Its just hung while I was typeing this, frame 33024 out of 79281 ;-((( so again random and sort of proving that the bps doesn't matter!

I don’t have the double codec problem. 

Did you find anything that causes it or fixes it?

BTW I did find something on the Studio Knowedge site about hanging while rendering buut it was silly!

Here it is.....................Looks liek we have case 2. Under case 2 options below number 4 makes be laugh (or cry) --- install computer fans lol (I do a lot more with my machine that Studio could ever manage to do and it doesn't get hot)

There is more than one type of render hang problem. To identify the solutions you need to try, please look at the 3 failure modes below and follow the troubleshooting steps under that heading. The failure modes are:

• Case 1. Rendering stops immediately after it starts
    • Case 2. Rendering stops randomly in a project. It typically does not stop in the same spot if rendering is attempted multiple times.
    • Case 3. Render stops at the same spot in a project no matter how many times rendering is attempted.

There is more than one cause of this failure mode. Before proceeding with the troubleshooting of any type of rendering problem it is important to start with the most current possible version of the Studio software. You can also download the patch directly from the Pinnacle web site. 

If you have Studio version 10, download the latest version here .

If you have Studio version 11, download the latest version here.

Note:  Studio 11 patches will only patch a previous install of Studio 11. Studio 10 patches will only patch a previous install of Studio 10. Etc.

If you have an older version of Studio (Studio 9, etc), it is advised for you to update to the current Studio software.  The current version is Studio 11.  Click Here to go to the Studio 11 Upgrade page.

How to download and install a patch:

• When downloading the patch make a note of where it is being saved to.  We recommend saving the patch to the desktop.
    • Before installing the patch, make sure that you do not have any other programs running.  Studio must not be running.
    • Once it is fully downloaded, double-click on the patch to begin the installation.
    • Follow any on-screen prompts to complete the installation.  Reboot the computer after applying the patch.

Case #1. Rendering stops immediately after it starts

If the hang is immediately after pressing the "Create" button, then there is a configuration problem (or problems) on the system. Try rendering the demo file Photoshoot.mpg. If this fails, then the problem is confirmed as a system issue. (We have not been able to reproduce a render problem with the photoshoot file with our in-house testing).

Solutions

1. Uninstall, regdelete and reinstall Studio,

1. Uninstall other software that might conflict with Studio. This would include and other video editing software, video codecs, etc. A fresh installation of the Windows OS is most favorable.

2. Try rendering to other file or disc type in Studio.  Example try to create an MPEG 1 file, MPEG2 file, AVI DV format file, VCD disc or DVD.  Knowing what works and what doesn't, usually gives support a better idea of what direction in which to troubleshoot the problem.
    3. Make sure that you have installed any Service Pack for the version of Windows you are running.  Windows XP is up to Service Pack 2

4. Reinstall Windows on top of itself. In XP this is called Repair. See this FAQ: Windows XP Repair Install information.

Case #2. Rendering stops at random places.

If the render hangs are random, even on the same project, then this failure may be due to background tasks, power management or a thermal problem in the computer.

Solutions

1. Check the hard drive for errors and defrag it. See this FAQ: Windows Hard Disk Defragmenting Information.

2. End any background tasks (i.e. virus checkers, fax modems, etc.) See this FAQ: How do I turn off background programs that are interfering with system performance and software installation?

3. Turn off any power management. See this FAQ: General Power Management Information.

4. Install cooling fans in the computer case. A system that is running too hot can be a very unstable environment for the Studio software.

Case #3. Render stops at the same spot in a project no matter how many times rendering is attempted.

If the render hangs at the same spot on a particular project you can try the following:

3A. Try different projects. If only one project hangs, the project may have become corrupt.

3B. If other projects also hang, what are the similarities between these projects.

Solutions to this type of failure depend to some degree on if the user can identify the item in the project that is causing the render to stop. Removing the item or trimming it (if it is a video clip) may allow the rendering to complete. Some users will have the render now stop at some other spot in the project.

1. Carefully scan through the video clips in the project for corrupt video frames. They may show up as gray, black, blocky or distorted frames. If any clips are found to have distortions, they should either be removed from the project entirely, or they should be trimmed to exclude the damaged frames. Recapturing the original footage might also remedy the situation.

2. Defragging your hard drive. See Case #2 item 1.

3. Making sure you have plenty of storage on your video disk. It is good practice to allocate as much free space to the Studio software as can be possible. Rendering may take up large amounts of storage and running out of disk space (or running low) may cause the render to stop. Free space which consists of two to three times the size of the entire project would be ideal.

4. If you have a separate capture disk, make sure to move the Aux folder to the capture disk.

5. If the location of the hang is consistent, trim or remove the video located at that position. Remove any special effects, or transitions at the point where the rendering stops. Be persistent, the project may simply fail further along.

6. Copy the entire section where the render stops and paste it into a new project. 30 to 45 seconds or more before and after the point where the render stops should be sufficient. If this part of the project can be rendered to an AVI file without problems, the new AVI can be used in the main project in the place of what was removed.

7. Remove all DVD authoring, and render the entire project to an AVI file. Then create an new project and import this AVI file. Now a DVD can be authored, and the render process will have significantly less to do.
  •  04-11-2008, 19:39 154176 in reply to 154006

I have had random hangs in Vista 32 if I don't disable my virus checker and Vista file indexer. The latter can be controlled via the control panel and I believe is my main culprit since it is typically set to index the disc I use to make the movie AND to start when no one is using the computer. Both occur during long AVCHD encoding times. 
  •  04-12-2008, 3:45 154332 in reply to 154176

Hi,

Mine used to be random but for this edit session it does it everytime but in different places. I now tried lasty night to render to WMA instead of MPEG2 but it didn't do anything, just sat there all night and again I could cancel the render but not do anything else, I had then to terminate the program.

I'm running out of ideas ;-((

P.S. I've just started it going again this morning and at least it has started rendering this time, I'll just wait to see how far it gets.

•  04-12-2008, 11:54 154659 in reply to 154332

Did you try my suggestions?
  •  04-12-2008, 12:36 154673 in reply to 138902

I recently upgraded from 10 to 11 on XP and started getting a lot of hangs on rendering, sometimes at random spots, sometimes with effects.  I have an NVIDIA 8600XTS and noticed someone had recommended getting the latest video driver from NVIDIA.  I got that and no more hangs!  May not help you but be sure you have the latest drivers.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy