Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

My "BEST" project - a music video

Last post 06-11-2007, 1:55 by gwpe226_art. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-30-2007, 8:30 8912

My "BEST" project - a music video

First, I am not one of the “power users” of Studio.  I use Studio 10+ TE with no add-ons or plug-ins.  My initial purpose was to capture into digital format our old VHS home movies, some of which were old 8mm movies that had been transferred to VHS.  Now that that is done, I have been working to make DVD movies of our vacation trips.  This forum has been a great source of information, how-to, and creative ideas.  I am looking forward continuing to learn, especially with this new category.

My “best” project was a music video.  I used some of the old VHS footage of our daughter.  The footage included some old 8mm scenes of her riding her first rocking horse at Christmas when she was 2 years old and of her riding her great-granddad’s Shetland pony when she was 4 years old.  I included a few still pictures of her riding the rocking horse.  All the materials were late 1970’s stuff.  I added the song “I Should’ve Been a Cowboy” by Toby Keith, one of my wife’s favorite C/W songs.  I used a simple opening title and simple transitions and rendered it as an iPod compatible file.

Why was it my best?  The music video itself was nothing spectacular, the footage quality was not great and my editing skills are nothing to brag about. 

It is the subject matter and the target audience.  I secretly downloaded the video to my wife’s iPod.  Then, I called her at work on her birthday and told her there was a video she needed to watch.  You would have thought I gave her a 10ct diamond!  I got the biggest hug when she got home that evening. Right HugBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileDevilWink

•  05-31-2007, 7:41 9221 in reply to 8912

Re: My "BEST" project - a music video

IMO, This thread you had created should have a neat place of its own. Touching and very creative. Great job Patndave!
  •  05-31-2007, 11:48 9324 in reply to 9221

Warren-

Thanks for the kind words Smile

And, thank you for this new category.  I am really looking forward to seeing how others use Studio and particularly their methods and creative ideas!

•  05-31-2007, 13:02 9374 in reply to 9324

We'll get this going soon. I've always been intrigued with what stuff people use Studio for, this can also help us gauge what features and what requests are feasible on newer versions to improve and make the program more user friendly and appealing. Keep up the good work!
  •  05-31-2007, 19:54 9588 in reply to 8912

Sounds like one of the "better" uses of Studio ... let's hope it was a GREAT BIG HUG!!!

If I know what Moms are like, it was probably BETTER than a 10ct diamond since it was your daughter with your blood, sweat, and tears (so to speak) in it - or maybe actually some of that, too!

•  05-31-2007, 21:34 9608 in reply to 8912

patndave:

My initial purpose was to capture into digital format our old VHS home movies, some of which were old 8mm movies that had been transferred to VHS.  

My “best” project was a music video.   

Why was it my best?  The music video itself was nothing spectacular, the footage quality was not great and my editing skills are nothing to brag about. 

It is the subject matter and the target audience. 

Wonderful video idea!  What a neat birthday present for your wife! 

Target audience is always the most important thing to keep in mind when making a video.  And simple is best, usually.

How did you do your video transfer?  I want to do that with our 8mm movies.  Also looking into the best way to transfer slides.  I keep running into dead ends, as far as a good way to do it.  I think there's a market for it.

•  06-01-2007, 8:04 9765 in reply to 9608

Thank you, Margaret.

"Wonderful video idea!  What a neat birthday present for your wife!"  Yeah, I was kinda proud of that one.  Every once in a while I surprise myself! Embarrassed  And Pat was really grateful Wink

"How did you do your video transfer?  I want to do that with our 8mm movies."  The 8mm we had transferred to VHS in the late 1980's by a local photo/video store.  I think the method they used was probably some type of projection into the lens of a video camera.  Not the greatest transfer, but not that bad, and not real expensive at the time.  A few years ago I purchased a Dazzle (don't remember the model) which came with Studio Quickstart or SE or something.  I used it to capture all my VHS tapes, the old 8mm conversions and the newer stuff from our video camera, into mpeg files.  Then, I pretty much quit using it.

"Also looking into the best way to transfer slides."  I have an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo scanner that I use for both slides and photos.  I have been pleased with its results.  I use PhotoShop Elements 5 for still picture editing and love that software.

Last year, I upgraded my computer.  With retirement looming (and now a fact Big Smile), I thought it would be a good time to delve deeper into movie editing.  Although my earlier experience with Studio was not trouble freeSad, my research of available editing software led me back to Studio 10Surprise.  It was the right decision for me.  My system and Studio 10.7 seem to be purring along just greatYes and I am having a good time with it.

•  06-11-2007, 1:55 12742 in reply to 9765

Can we have a forum or site where we can post a couple of secs or mins of the video we created with studio? Just the highlights. Just a self esteem thing Smile

So other pips can see and comment on it Stick out tongue

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy