Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS15 Ultimate - install old "stubborn" bonus content CDs without having to install PS12 as well?

•  06-17-2020, 16:55

PS15 Ultimate - install old "stubborn" bonus content CDs without having to install PS12 as well?

I've been "clearing out" stuff on one PC - with the intention of removing all of the old versions of Studio (PC had nearly every one from PS12 through to PS23) and reinstalling only the ones that I might need to use - I considered those to be:

• PS15 Ultimate - occasional need for DVD authoring + also better for making long rolling titles than the newer versions
    • PS16 Ultimate - occasional need for some 32 bit video effect plugins that don't exist as 64 bit versions
    • PS23 Ultimate - current version, use for most editing

Did complete uninstall of all Studio versions, cleaned out stray files and some registry entries - so making a fairly clean start with reinstalling. Started with PS15 Ultimate - but found an issue with some "stubborn" bonus content CDs/DVDs that refuse to install unless PS12 is installed! The "stubborn" content CDs/DVDs were:

• Premium Packs 1 & 2 - the labelling on the front of the DVD cases states "For Pinnacle Studio 9, 10 and 11" - however running PS15's content transfer wizard to prepare the PC for installing bonus content from PS11 and running the setup from the content DVD results in an error that "no compatible version of Studio was found" and the installation just exits. Attempted workarounds using compatibility modes, copying the DVD contents to the local hard disk and running the setup as an administrator did not resolve the issue. However, if I install PS12 Ultimate and use the PS12 content transfer wizard, those two stubborn bonus content DVDs do install!!
    • Creative Pack V1 and Winter Pack - the front of the DVD cases states "For Pinnacle Studio version 12" - there's no chance to use the content transfer wizard and if PS12 is not present the setup shows the sme error that "no compatible version of Studio was found" and exits.

The (slightly long-winded) workaround for now seems to be to install PS12, install those stubborn bonus content DVDs, back up the content folders under C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pinnacle\Content and uninstall PS12. Then replace any content that got deleted when PS12 was uninstalled and install PS15

I am curious if there's a better way - for example is there some command-line option that cound be given to the setup program to make it skip the checking for a compatible Studio version and install the content pack anyway?

Regards,
    Richard

View Complete Thread
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy