Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Sync externally recorded audio with video -- Avid or pinnacle?

•  03-01-2012, 15:05

Re: Sync externally recorded audio with video -- Avid or pinnacle?

I'm on the run -- so I will repost something I wrote a while back for Pinnacle Studio -- in general the techniques are universal.

Though most of my old post refers to syncing audio with video, even if you're syncing to 2 or more cameras you still need to identify a common event -- a camera flash, a mic slap for example -- and then mark on each video track that event. Its that marked "event" that allows you to bring separate elements into sync.  (PIP [picture in picture] is a feature that can be very helpful when editing multi camera footage.)

start by making sure the video you're modifying is a single unbroken clip (alt-A, right click: combine)

find a distinctive sound and picture event -- something that you can recognize independently both on the audio track and the picture track (banging a desk, a glass landing onto a table, even the first word of a speaker).

Lock the audio track

find the instant where the picture event occurs -- identify it w/the chapter marker

Lock the Video track

Do the same on the audio track: find the instant where the picture event occurs -- identify it w/the chapter marker

Now depending on which marker is most to the right, lock that track (could be either video or audio) -- and unlock the other.

Here comes the tricky part:

You now must grab the track with left most marker, and pull it to the right until the two markers are aligned.

After you have confirmed that things are now in sync, go to the head and tail, and precisely cut the overhanging frames.

I then suggest making the highest quality copy possible of this in sync video, and subsequently work with that synced copy.

In my experience, its best to be zoomed in at about "10 seconds" (zooming to "1 second" is too twitchy) -- then go to the head of the clip and drag the moving track the number of frames needed, to the right of the fixed track

Test/listen each time you do it -- you may get lucky on an unintended move

If its wrong, control/z is a quick undo

View Complete Thread
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy