Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Don't have permission to open files

•  04-27-2009, 15:54

Re: Don't have permission to open files

MrMuzz:
    colour:

this one containing only grey folders.
    You should have a corresponding .stx File Icon, for each grey Folder. If you haven't, it looks like they are missing/Deleted or have been separated & dumped in another Folder:

1) Check your Recycle Bin

2) Do a Folder/File Search for each of the Grey Folder Project names. This will display all Folders & Files with that Project Name. You are looking for an .stx File. If it's there, right-Click on Project Name / Open Containing Folder & Copy it to your My Projects Folder. Then you should have both the Grey Folder & .stx File for the same Project name, showing in your My Projects Folder.

If the Search doesn't display a .stx File, you can create a new one, by Opening a New empty Project, which will create a My Movie Grey Folder & a My Movie .stx File, Save to your My Projects Folder. Delete the My Movie Grey Folder & Rename the My Movie .stx File to the same name as your original Grey Folder. 

When I click on the grey folder, I get the "Don't have permission to open this file" message.
    As previously Posted, Windows can't Open that Folder, to prevent you from tamperring with it. Only the .stx File can..

If Vista won't let you Open a .stx File, you could try Googling "Unlocker" (A free Prog, which I have).Download & Install that. Right-Click on .stx File & choose "Unlocker".

If you do manage to Open some or all of your Projects, Render them to File DV-AVI, for further Editing (You might be able to Re-Edit what you've already done, depending upon the Project's content).

At the moment, you're in danger of losing all of your Projects, if you haven't already done-so.

Good luckSmile 

Colour, you are a Pinnacle Champion!!

Thank you very much for posting this help. You just helped me restore 3 days of creative movie making about the Australian Platypus, that i thought was going to be lost forever. You are wonderful ...how can i possibly thank you enough. If ever you are in Clermont, Central Queensland i will shout you to the best rump or T-bone steak that you ever had, at the Hoey Moey restaurant. Best feed in Australia!

Ok, so i have Pinnacle 12 running Vista ...and yes, i also received that terrifying window "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission." Indifferent Tongue Tied

So your advice above was the best to use ...with some of my own suggested modifications for Vista and Pinnacle 12 users:

"1) Check your Recycle Bin

2) Do a Folder/File Search for each of the Grey Folder Project names. This will display all Folders & Files with that Project Name. You are looking for an .stx File. If it's there, right-Click on Project Name / Open Containing Folder & Copy it to your My Projects Folder. Then you should have both the Grey Folder & .stx File for the same Project name, showing in your My Projects Folder.

If the Search doesn't display a .stx File, you can create a new one, by Opening a New empty Project, which will create a My Movie Grey Folder & a My Movie .stx File, Save to your My Projects Folder. Delete the My Movie Grey Folder & Rename the My Movie .stx File to the same name as your original Grey Folder."

So ...after finding my "lost" movie file, with its file name, under Documents\Pinnacle Studio\My Projects i then went through the following procedures using your great advice Colour;

1. Make a copy of your found "lost" movie grey film icon file by right mouse clicking on your lost file and choosing "copy". Paste the copy into another folder in Documents where you can find it if need be
    2. Then go back to Documents\Pinnacle Studio\My Projects and right mouse click onto your grey film icon. Choose "rename". Then rename your "lost" grey film icon to a new file name but do not put .stc at the end of the file name, if you are operating VISTA and Pinnacle 12. This is important because Pinnacle 12 won't recognise the file later if you have .stc in the file name
    3. Open Pinnacle and go to the File Menu
    4. Click on New Project
    5. Open File Menu again and click on Save File as
    6. Give the file a name such as "Movie 7" and save it
    7. Close out of Pinnacle
    8. Open up Documents\Pinnacle Studio\My Projects and observe that you now have 2 new files there ...a grey film icon file saying Movie 7 AND a coloured Pinnacle icon file saying Movie 7
    9. Delete the grey icon file with the file name Movie 7
    10. Now give your coloured Pinnacle icon file the exact same rename as your precious "lost" renamed grey movie icon file, using the right mouse click on rename proceedure as explained in No.2 above.
    11. Close out of Documents file
    12. Now open up Pinnacle again
    13. Go to Menu and choose Open Project
    14. There you will see the coloured Pinnacle icon file with the new name of your "lost" movie file.
    15. Click onto its coloured Pinnacle icon, and watch your "lost" movie come into view again ...Ohh and be patient if there are lots of Megabytes to your "lost" movie as mine was. I let my 46Meg movie re-upload for about 25 minutes before it finally had all my byline voice overs and music in place once again.
    16. Patience, patience is a virtue with Pinnacle ...as it is in life, it seems.

Hope this proceedure helps those with Vista and Pinnacle 12.    Smile

Now i am looking forward to receiving Pinnacle Ultimate 12.1 in the mail soon.

Warm regards,

Mr Muzz

Welcome to the ForumBig Smile

Glad to have been of some help & thanks for your additional infoYes

View Complete Thread
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy